Windy conditions and the AF

AE1002(2002-2005), AE1012(2006-Present), AE1017-O(2009-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

waddle

Windy conditions and the AF

Post by waddle » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:09 am

I've been paddling my AF 10.5 for a few months now, and I can't think of a purchase that I've loved more. This weekend, though, was the first time I've really noticed the difference between this and a hardshell.

I was on a small lake in windy conditions, and had a harder time keeping from being blown around a bit. I've paddled similar hardshells in the same conditions, and there were other hardshell kayaks out there that weren't having a problem. I understand it's the nature of the beast. The light weight of the AF is one of the things that attracted me to it, in the first place.

However, if anyone has any suggestions to minimize the wind battle when I paddle, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll just wait for AE to come out with their sails, and really take advantage of it. :lol:

SF48

Post by SF48 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:02 pm

If it's really bad and I'm facing a stiff crosswind while headed for my destination, then what I will do is revise my route so that I head as straight into the wind as I can until I'm past my destination, then cut back with the wind behind me. I've had a few instances of this on big, open bodies of water.

waddle

Post by waddle » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:15 pm

Thanks, SF48. That's a good idea.

I know the backbone helps with tracking in general, so I'm thinking of giving that a shot, too.

KayakJack

Re: Windy conditions and the AF

Post by KayakJack » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:33 pm

Stay low, keep a low and slip profile. try to paddle while raising the paddle as little as possible.

waddle wrote:I've been paddling my AF 10.5 for a few months now, and I can't think of a purchase that I've loved more. This weekend, though, was the first time I've really noticed the difference between this and a hardshell.

I was on a small lake in windy conditions, and had a harder time keeping from being blown around a bit. I've paddled similar hardshells in the same conditions, and there were other hardshell kayaks out there that weren't having a problem. I understand it's the nature of the beast. The light weight of the AF is one of the things that attracted me to it, in the first place.

However, if anyone has any suggestions to minimize the wind battle when I paddle, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll just wait for AE to come out with their sails, and really take advantage of it. :lol:

waddle

Post by waddle » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:21 pm

Very belated thanks to Kayak Jack for the answer! :oops: