Almost decided

AE1002(2002-2005), AE1012(2006-Present), AE1017-O(2009-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Tightlines

Almost decided

Post by Tightlines » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:45 pm

I'm almost ready to purchase two AFs and an AF Conertible for my family. I've read some comments that they are only recommended for lakes or rivers up to Class II. Is this true? The family will be doing alot of lake paddling, fishing,...etc but my son and I would like to be able to hit some Class IIIs and have some real fun. Has anyone had experience with an AF and white water?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:55 pm

People have taken them down Class III but it is definately not recommended by Advanced Elements. These are not self bailing kayaks and track well. When paddling down Rivers with ClassII and above, these features will work against you. You want a self bailing kayak so that when water gets into it, it will drain right out and not sit in the kayak and swamp it. You also do not want good tracking going down higher class rivers. You need to be able to maneuver quickly to divert around rocks, rapids, etc. Lastly, if paddling a solo craft down a river, you also want something that is typically a bit shorter. 10 1/2 feet is okay but the shorter the better because you get more maneuverabilty. If you are looking for something that will handle the Class III, and still be able to paddle on lakes (however, not as well as the Advanced Frame), then you would look into the Strait Edge lineup of kayaks. They are self bailing but the self bailing ports can be closed to be able to paddle on flatter water. It is a sit on top kayak unlike the Advanced Frame which is a sit in kayak. You do sit up a little higher. On flat water it doesn't track as well as the ADvanced Frame but on rivers it is much more maneuverable.

So, I'll leave it in your hands but remember, Advanced Frames are not recommended for higher than Class II

Jeremy
8)

Tightlines

Post by Tightlines » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:12 pm

Thanks for the input Jeremy. We will be first time kayak owners, so I don't have much experience with them (just a few outings down the Trinity, American, and Merced in Yosemite in rentals) but for our family camping trips, kids 7 and 12, these should be perfect. Thanks to everyone on the blog. All of your experiences have been helpful in deciding to finally buy them instead of just thinking about it.

Catch and Release

Tightlines

MikeCoke

Re: Almost decided

Post by MikeCoke » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:49 am

Don't know where you are located or where you plan on buying them but you should look at westmarine.com.
Their version of the AF Convertible is on sale for $450 & includes the foot pump & the zip on double cockpit.
The AdvancedFrame Solo Kayak is also on sale for $350 & includes the foot pump.
The AF Compact Touring Kayak Paddls are $70
If you are in the US they also have Free shipping until Midnight June 17.
And their regular shipping is a flat rate of $10 per order.
I bought mine from them before the sale & I contacted them when I saw it was on sale & the refunded me the difference between what I paid & the sale price.

Mike

Tightlines wrote:I'm almost ready to purchase two AFs and an AF Conertible for my family. I've read some comments that they are only recommended for lakes or rivers up to Class II. Is this true? The family will be doing alot of lake paddling, fishing,...etc but my son and I would like to be able to hit some Class IIIs and have some real fun. Has anyone had experience with an AF and white water?

NAVYVET

Post by NAVYVET » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:18 am

I got mine from airkayaks.com for the same reason I bought an Advanced Elements: customer support. When you email them, they respond quickly, and they work very hard for repeat business.
I emailed airkayaks.com with questions before buying. I wanted to know if I'd be more comfortable in the Lagoon, the Advanced Frame or the Expedition. Holly asked where I'd be paddling and gave me specific information about the leg room and referred me here. She then told me I'd fit in all of them and recommended the Advanced Frame for my inseam. I was surprised she didn't automatically suggest the most expensive option, but I'm still convinced they stay in business because they keep their customers happy.
When they say I'd ordered a PFD that was temporarily out ot stock, I got an immediate email with all my options. I was surprised that one of the options was my choice of 2 other more expensive PFDs for the same price as the PFD I'd originally ordered.
WestMarine does have a wider selection, but if they answered the email I sent to them, then I'm still waiting for it.

MDO

Finally decided!

Post by MDO » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:04 am

javascript:emoticon(':D')

After much research, I too settled for Kayakair.com - great service, great answers to ALL my questions, attention to my needs, and by far the best price around. I think Holly never takes days off... If all goes wll, budget permitting, I will get a second one next year. Perhaps the expedition, as my husband is quite tall.

I can't wait to get my kayak. I need to get the proper life jacket (will get it in Canada to avoid further costs). I am wondering what happens to the fabric if the kayak is usd in salt water. I am also wondergin how is everyone enjoying the paddle that comes with it. It's not too heavy I hope.

Cheers from the Kawartha Lakes area,

MDO

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:37 pm

I use my Expedition in salt water every weekend! All I do is rinse it off with fresh water when I get back to the car. I have a small portable shower hose that plugs into the cigarette lighter, but you could just use a couple of bottles of water instead. Just wipe off the excess with a cloth or sponge and let it dry.

Mine has hardly faded at all in the sun, but I do use it every weekend, I don't use any protective spray and it is hot and sunny (around 36 deg Celsius) every time I go out!

borisf

Post by borisf » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:12 am

Hi MDO!
We are the neighbors. I'm in Toronto and paddling in Kawartha Lakes. I bought my AF Convertible this April and am happy. You can see some pictures and video in my Albums at
http://picasaweb.google.com/boris4senko ... directlink.
May be it will be of some help to you at the very beginning. I bought my life jackets at Can Tires and Wal-Mart for $40 and it's OK, despite some interference with the seat back.
Boris

MDO

Post by MDO » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:24 am

I like your videos and pic Boris!
I am still waiting for the UPS to drop off the kayak.... they were supposed to come y-day, there were some delays. I will get back to you and try to get some pics once I have received and tried my new kayak!

I ended up getting a very nice life jacket from Wildrock Outfitters here in P.boro: I had a gift certificate to use javascript:emoticon(':)')

I CANT WAIT! I hope to try it if it arrives early enough today. I live very very close to the Trent canal (2 min drive).

Cheers!

MDO
borisf wrote:Hi MDO!
We are the neighbors. I'm in Toronto and paddling in Kawartha Lakes. I bought my AF Convertible this April and am happy. You can see some pictures and video in my Albums at
http://picasaweb.google.com/boris4senko ... directlink.
May be it will be of some help to you at the very beginning. I bought my life jackets at Can Tires and Wal-Mart for $40 and it's OK, despite some interference with the seat back.
Boris

MDO

1st paddle out was amazing!

Post by MDO » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:43 am

Hi Boris:
1st paddle y-day on the Trent canal just going north out of P.boro. It was absolutely gorgeous. Very very peaceful.... I had a few glitches figuring out some assembly and inflation, but now I think I got it! I do find that the back of my PFD pushes me quite a bit forward, and that the lower part of the seat is hence a bit too short. I am wondering about an extra cushion. Somewhere else in the posts, someone suggests a boat cushion. Will see.

Q. for you - how about skirts?

Mireille .

KayakJack

Re: 1st paddle out was amazing!

Post by KayakJack » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:12 pm

Get a kayak specific PFD and that should solve your problem. They are cut further up on the back, allowing the kayaker to sit in without being pushed to the front. I use to wear the a non-kayak specific PFD and had the same problem.

I use the Advanced Elements skirt and haven't had any issues. It also helps trap heat inside when paddling on colder days. Other people on this forum have used other brands of skirts with some modifications to them, etc.

MDO wrote:Hi Boris:
1st paddle y-day on the Trent canal just going north out of P.boro. It was absolutely gorgeous. Very very peaceful.... I had a few glitches figuring out some assembly and inflation, but now I think I got it! I do find that the back of my PFD pushes me quite a bit forward, and that the lower part of the seat is hence a bit too short. I am wondering about an extra cushion. Somewhere else in the posts, someone suggests a boat cushion. Will see.

Q. for you - how about skirts?

Mireille .