New Here

AE1002(2002-2005), AE1012(2006-Present), AE1017-O(2009-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

gabbadj

New Here

Post by gabbadj » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:47 am

Hello.. Im new and I've just made up my mind that Im buying an inflatable kayak sometime soon..

I'm a large guy at 250 lbs and Im wondering if I will have any problems with either the expedition or the advanced frame 2 convertible kayak?

Expedition - http://www.airkayaks.com/ae1009Y.html
Convertible - http://www.airkayaks.com/ae1007-07.html

Im leaning towards the convertible but I worry that the extra length might add to bending in the middle with one heavy person.

Any suggestions, comments, personal experiences?

Thank YOu
SMR

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:36 pm

You shouldn't have any trouble with either of these kayaks. I have friends your size and they fit into either model just fine. Your weight is ok. You would have a problem fitting in if you had size 14 shoes and didn't like pointing your toes a little. :wink:
Both of these kayaks can be used with a BackBone. Check out lee johnson's posts about how much he likes using a BackBone. I like mine, too! I'm a lot smaller than you, but I like the rigid keel feel it gives to my Expedition.

krystofr

Post by krystofr » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:36 pm

Don't worry about your weight. I had the same debate with the same two kayaks and I know I made the right choice. It's as simple as this: If you plan on kayak tandem with somebody else 50+% of the time, get the convertible. If you will will be kayaking on your own, get the expedition.

monamart

Post by monamart » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:09 am

Just get the Backbone and you will be great...

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:09 am

Something that matters for me but may not be an issue for you at all is weight of the kayak.
I like my Expedition and it's just light enough for me to pick up and put in the trunk of a car, or carry inflated on my shoulder.
I've tried the Convertible model at Paddlefest events -- you can read about them at my paddle group's website kayakyak.blogspot.com -- A Convertible is too heavy for me to move around conveniently... I could strap the bag to a luggage roller and roll it around, or carry the bag a little bit and drag it along a smooth floor or carpet. But the Convertible is too massive for me to lift in its bag and carry out of the house to a car, or carry inflated on my shoulder to water.
The StraitEdge2 that I have is also too heavy for me to lift conveniently. When it's inflated, I strap it onto a set of kayak wheels and roll it down to the water like a wheelbarrow. When it's in its bag, I strap it to a luggage roller and haul it around.
The AdvancedFrame is lighter than the Expedition -- you might be strong enough to carry it a good long way, like me carrying my Dragonfly (earlier model of the Lagoon).
I like that AE kayaks have this variety of weights and lengths. It really helps me select the best boat for where I'm going, how I'm getting there, and what I plan to do on the water.

MikeSue

Post by MikeSue » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:23 am

I was worried about the weight of the convertible but have been pleasantly surprised I have been able to carry it inflated convertible on my shoulder to the water with no problem.

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:44 pm

I weight the same as you do, and have no problem in my Convertible. My plan was to paddle tandem in my Convertible on every excursion, but it turns out that 50% of the time (or more), I go solo. I think I should have gotten one Convertible and one Expedition instead of the two Convertibles. We go out as a threesome more than a foursome. As far as the weight goes, I don't have any trouble carrying the Convertible from the car to the water, but it is heavy. My two boys (14 and 12) can carry it to the water. It really should be a two man (woman :) ) carry.
Daddy-O