Modify Double Deck for Securing Cargo?

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

nickeldime

Modify Double Deck for Securing Cargo?

Post by nickeldime » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:45 pm

Has anyone tried to modify the double deck kit to attach D-rings or some other attachment points for securing cargo on top of the deck, between the two paddlers? We went on a multi-day trip with our AF Convertible and attached the largest and heaviest dry bag on the deck directly above the legs of the rear paddler. We tried securing the bag with rope running through the velcro paddle straps, but it wasn't ideal.

Just wondering if anyone has tried sewing on D-rings, similar to what's on the rear of the kayak. Advice or pictures of your own mod would be much appreciated.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:26 pm

Check out this one from the chief of our DIY gang..

http://www.advancedelements.com/phpBB2/ ... php?t=1158

sonar

Post by sonar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:34 am

Hi Nickeldime

Welcome to the forum hope to see many posts and bloggs from your adventures on the forum.

Pearly

What can I say...apart from
Thanks for the promotion. :lol:

nickeldime

Post by nickeldime » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:43 am

Thanks for the reply Pearly. I must have missed that post when I searched earlier. This is just what I'm looking for.

darolh

Post by darolh » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:19 pm

I'm a noob here. Just got my AF convertible last fall and had her (Dreadnought is the name) out last weekend for sea trials (on lakes). We loved it. I also am interested in carrying cargo in the center between occupants. The above noted link is dead.

I seem to recall that AE used to sell tie down points one could install yourself. Are they no longer available or am I mistaken with some other brand?

arne

D-Rings

Post by arne » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:55 am

The missing D-rings between the seats are my only point of criticism. I found a picture of a fully loaded Airflex Decks where the owner had simply used a strap through both cockpits to tie down some luggage between them. It seemed to work but that way I couldn't use a spray skirt anymore.
Unfortunately, the link above doesn't work anymore. So, does anyone have any good hints or ideas? I thought about sewing some D-ring on the deck but I would like to make sure that the deck remains water tight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Arne

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:21 pm

About cargo, my suggestion is to remember to put the heavy objects inside the kayak for stability. On the deck I put the kayak bag rolled up and bungeed to the deck lines.