Water in my Kayak

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

ajwester

Water in my Kayak

Post by ajwester » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:12 am

I bought my Advanced Frame Convertible about 6 months ago, and I have been loving it.

Now that the weather is cooler in Central Florida, I have going out on local chain of lakes at least once a week.

The one thing I notice, is that when I come out of the water, and break down the Kayak, there is ALWAYS water present underneath the inflatable floor. I have no idea where this water is coming from. I never feel water on my legs or feet, and there is never any water on top of the inflatable floor. Does anyone have any idea where this is coming from.

For completeness sake, I usually use the AEC in solo configuriation, with the deck covere and backbone installed (I never use the kayak without the backone).

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:03 am

1. Make sure the kayak is to proper pressure. 2-2.5 psi
2. Water will drip in from your paddle.
3. If stepping in water before getting in kayak, water will also come off of feet.
4. Check kayak to make sure there are not any rips or tears in the bottom. It is possible on one of your original outings something may of happened.
5. Another test is to pull out the guts of the kayak so that you have only the outer shell left. Pour a gallon of water into the outer shell. Pick it up from either end then switch. Check to see if you notice water coming out from anywhere.

JimD

Post by JimD » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:39 pm

I always have water inside as well. I suspect for the reasons JCooley says. I don't really know how I could find if there was any leak though. From the amount that's got in over an afternoon I don't think I could spot a leak dripping at that rate using his test in step 5. It's done it from new though, and barring a manufacturing fault it's got to be from paddle and foot drippage.

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:23 am

Could be condensation that collects at the lowest point.
Also any water on your feet our shoes tends to run along the channels between the floor tubes and eventually end up under the floor.
Even the odd drop or sometimes actually a thin rivulet when climbing in tends to collect somewhere,
we use a towel on the floor in front of the seat , which catches an absorbs
just about all this , only leaving that bit of condensation under the floor of course.
The backbone of course does a wonderful job of creating a v shaped hull
where any water can run down into the lowest point

JimD

Post by JimD » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:52 am

I had a thought about leak finding after my last post (good old sleeping subconscious).
If you have somewhere dry, large enough to lay out the kayak outer skin, then cover the floor in newspaper, lay the skin on top, and add water inside it, being careful not to spill on the paper. Leave it overnight and then carefully check for damp patches on the paper. As long as no puppies or kittens got in and made them, they should be signs of leaks from the skin. The position and severity should be easy to see.
Good luck

sonar

Post by sonar » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:12 am

Could this be possibly condensation or is there too much water .?

ajwester

Post by ajwester » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:30 pm

So when I went to put my kayak away to day after a few days of drying out, I inflated it and inspected the bottom. I found one small hole, mo larger then a thick pin, and another small tear thatlooked like it was partially through the floor. Both were patched up with the repair kit, and are now drying again in the garage for 24 hours before folding up into the bag.

Thanks for the advice, this forum rocks :D

sistaskriket

Post by sistaskriket » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:29 am

I too have always 1-2 liters of water in the AFC when used as a tandem. Much less when used solo. I have noticed that a lot of water drips from my left paddle ( I'm sitting in the aft seat) on the deck between the seats and stays there. It's like a small puddle all the time.
My guess is it leaks through the zipper but I have no evidence.

As I am the heavier of us paddling tandem some water is sucked up in my seat making my but soaking wet.

Now I want to seal all seams with whatever is suitable to eliminate that hypothetic source. But how can I seal the zipper ? And what kind of sealant can I use for the seams without harming the PVC-surface?