Deck conversion for Convertible test ride.

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

FrankP

Deck conversion for Convertible test ride.

Post by FrankP » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:13 pm

I took my grand daughter out for a ride Sunday with our new conversion on the Convertible. The past 3 trips were wet and while I had a blast, my wife was not amused with her wet shorts. Sunday with the Conversion in place we stayed completely dry. The only water in the kayak was from when I got in and that was very little. There were no waves that came up over the bow but no paddle dripping inside the kayak. Sweet! I bought the solo conversion but have not tried it yet. I also took a few extra minutes to make sure the BB and floor was aligned properly and we tracked well. My grand daughter weighs only 40 pounds (4 in Oct.) which made the bow lift up a little more than when my wife is in the kayak but we still tracked very well. I was able to keep up with my daughter and son in law in their single hard shells.

Very happy about staying dry.

FrankP

My grand daughter & I

Post by FrankP » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:00 pm

RobTheGob

Post by RobTheGob » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:02 pm

Nice!

FrankP

Post by FrankP » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:00 pm

Today my wife and I took the AF Convertible out for 2 hours on a lake nearby. Very clean, clear water. I took extra time to set up the BB and floor and I bought the pump with the gauge. For the first time I had the boat as full as it can be. We tracked perfectly and were fast in the water. This was only our 4th time on the water together. My 5th. WE EVEN PADDLED BETTER TOGETHER. The Conversion deck worked very well and kept us both dry. That was my wife's main area of concern. Wet shorts are no fun to sit in. We actually went out to eat at a Chili's restaurant afterward. Dry shorts. What a difference. WE LOVE THIS KAYAK!

Question: As you pump and watch the gauge is the correct PSI reading at either the top or bottom of each stroke? The reading seems to drop quickly so it is hard to read the pressure. Any tips are welcome.

FrankP

Post by FrankP » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:15 am

Sunday we took the Kayak out on Mirror Lake in WI. Beautiful place and it was our third time there. My only criticism of the 2 person Conversion deck is that there is not enough room for a bigger person to get their legs out of the kayak when the paddling is over. Getting in is no picnic either. I thought a zipper running from the front of the rear persons cockpit to the stiffening bar would work nice to open the area up a little more to get legs in and out. Velcro & snaps may also work. The longer your legs and less bendable you are it seems this would help. Any other ideas?

RobTheGob

Post by RobTheGob » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:36 am

I've been getting in/out using my arms, putting my hands just behind the rear opening. The tubes are quite firm there - so I can lower/lift myself quite easily from that position. I think getting in/out of the front seat might be harder for me!

My biggest complaint of the dual deck conversion - no straps or tie downs between the openings! I'd like a place to strap something to the boat there or hold a map!

darolh

Post by darolh » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:49 am

Frank,
If being miserable while wet is an issue, wear synthetic clothing. Synthetic shirt under your life vest, synthetic undies (like Underarmour) under synthetic pants (like REI convertibles). You will dry out much quicker.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:29 pm

re: wet clothes while paddlling
I wear merino wool shirts and 3/4 length leggings from Icebreaker. Very light fabric like a t-shirt but made of smooth wool that is not itchy at all. This is good clothing to wear because this merino wool isn't hot on sunny days, it feels warm if I get splashed. I can swim wearing it if necessary. A splashed sleeve evaporates dry pretty quickly.
The best part about wearing merino wool instead of synthetics is that it takes days of sweating to stink.

FrankP

Post by FrankP » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:59 pm

We have been using the DS floor for the last 8 to 9 outings and find it far better than the regular floor. Last weekend I forgot to put the thwart in behind the first seat and found my feet were much more comfortable. We were on a lake for 2 hours Sat. and Sunday we paddled for 3 hours in complete comfort. ThIs Tuesday we went out for
1 hour with the thwart and my feet hurt and became slightly numb. I have not tried the BB with the DS floor but intend to soon.