first time paddling with a group

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

marc.cardwell

first time paddling with a group

Post by marc.cardwell » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 pm

hello, (first time poster here)

i've had my convertible for about three months. i've taken it to the marshes at the beach for a week and a big lake for a weekend. today, for the first time i paddled with a local group AND in a creek. it was a blast, even in the rain, and the bug stings.

one thing i immediately noticed: several in the group were wondering if mu boat would make it, due to briars, stumps, logs, etc. i was inflating it on a gravel lot, and one guy asked if the gravel would puncture the boat! another said "rafts aren't recommended on this creek".

i showed them. it was a bit harder to maneuver on tight turns (but this is the 1st kayak I've ever owned, so my skills leave a lot to be desired).

i love this boat. next i need to get a single for these trips....

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Terrific!
Gravel is no problem when inflating these boats. I don't drag mine on gravel, though, eh?

marc.cardwell

Post by marc.cardwell » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:00 am

i can hoist it on a shoulder for portage, so i didn't drag it.

at the end of the trip, unexpectedly to me, when i paddled to the bank of the creek, one of the group grabbed the front handle, and dragged me onto the bank (me and the boat). i was thinking i'd get out of the boat and then drag. i kinda think thats not a god idea in this boat.

i did get two small scratches, but deep enough to see the inside of, the tarp bottom. i'm thinking i'll use the provided repair kit on the outside. the scratches didn;t go all the way though the tarp, just in it.

btw, it took me about three times folding to get my skills down to get it in the bag.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:07 am

Yeah, folding is the skill that takes practise.
If you can reverse your pump to suck air instead of blow, get as much air as you can out of the various chambers of your kayak.
Do the first fold, and lean on the boat to encourage the stiff materials to lie down flat. Do the next fold, and kneel on the folded part to compress it. (Carefully, if the gravel underneath is sharp!) I'm kinda little, so I kneel on each fold to compress it. The bundle gets smaller.
Stuffing the folded kayak into the bag is an effort. I still don't know why the bag doesn't open up all the way like a clamshell. -- I've made the suggestion. Near as I can tell, the bag designer is a big strong man with huge hands who can hold the bag open with one hand and stuff the boat in with the other hand. For the longest time, I had to get a friend to hold the bag open as I pushed one corner and then the opposite corner of the folded bundle into the bag.
But I've gotten used to the folding and stuffing process. It does get easier with practise, and on warm days when the materials are more flexible. If you're ever paddling on cold, snowy days, the folded bundle just might not be small enough to fit in the bag. That's okay. It's probably still damp, so put it on top of the bag in the car trunk, and let it evaporate dry when you get home.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:06 am

Yep, I agree with you PJohanson, extending the zipper down both sides, so that the duffel bag could open like a clamshell, would make things much easier. I would go even further to say that it would not be all that hard to reconfigure the straps so that the bag could also be used as a backpack. This would make it much easier to carry, even over short distances.

In my experience, so far at least, I haven't gotten the impression that either dragging or folding the kayak on gravel is all that much of a concern. Of course, common sense must prevail, but these hulls are pretty tough and if I couldn't count on this kayak to take a certain amount of abuse, I wouldn't be using it anymore. I paddle in very rugged country and I've really put this kayak to the test and it passed very nicely.

This is the type of shoreline I normally land on;

Image[/img]

marc.cardwell

Post by marc.cardwell » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:08 pm

i take the floor out and fold it separately. both it and the main tubes i deflate w/ my pump, and i FINALLY figured out the fold in from the right one time and from the left three times deal. its funny, its not hard, but that 1st time really frustrated me.

i bought a tandom because my wife wanted a boat for both of us, but she's only been in it one time. i might look around for a AF single sometime, but kind of like the room in mine when i'm alone. but there is at additional weight and length to deal with.

dsnotgood

Post by dsnotgood » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:59 am

I never deflate mine. I just fold it up and sit on it until most of the air comes out.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:15 pm

dsnotgood wrote:I never deflate mine. I just fold it up and sit on it until most of the air comes out.
Nothing wrong with that, whatever works is what I always say.