AF convertible for use in offshore

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

chrish

AF convertible for use in offshore

Post by chrish » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:23 pm

Dear All

I live in Borneo and have been looking at buying an AF convertible for me and the wife to use in the ocean. There are several offshore islands that we can paddle out too plus mangrove swamp along some of the coastline.

I just had a couple of questions and I'm sorry if these have already been answered in other threads.

If we are using our AF just in the ocean - do we need to clean it with freshwater after use? Just wondering if it would damage the material if it is left

Also I will be using it quite a bit solo - how does it handle with one person in open water? the water around KK where I live is fairly calm but there are days when it can be a bit choppy

Is there any other advice that anyone has for using these type of Kayaks in the sea in warm waters?

Thanks and best wishes

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:59 am

I've been in a convertible a few times on the sea and have friends using them regularly for crossing over to nearby islands. They all have good reports, good tracking and a comfortable ride. As far as cleaning is concerned, you have a hot climate, so a quick rinse with fresh water, deflate it a little to allow for expansion and leave it to dry for 15 to 30 mins or so. I use the expedition and used to wash it every trip (every Sat & Sun!). Eventually gave up washing it and have to admit, that after 3 years of abuse, it does look a bit tired. Structually still strong, but the colour has faded.

If you can get a suitable waterproofing spray, it will help to prevent UV deterioration and speed up the washing/drying time.

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:25 am

No worries with a Convertible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u2HaifAXz0

I use 303 Fabric protector , its basically teflon in a thin fluid supension , is easy to apply via a pumpspray bottle , dries fast coats every fibre and water and dirt just pearl off , its used for boat awnings and car tops , unlike wax or oil , does`nt attract dirt , we did ours last year and i must admit i am impressed . Rinse the outside off dab with a towel and pack away.

chrish

Post by chrish » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:02 am

Thanks guys - i have ordered it from the nearest stockist in Singapore....just got to wait until its in stock!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:05 pm

When you get it, please read the inflation instructions. With the high temps in Borneo, the air will expand in the hot sun, so please be careful not to over-inflate.

Cheers and enjoy the ride!

Ian

chrish

Post by chrish » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:05 am

Thanks Pearly, Just one final worry that I had - I just realized that the decks to convert it to a closed Kayak are not included.

Do you think these are necessary for open sea? by open I mean 1-2 miles offshore. I have never paddled much in an open Kayak always preferring a closed Kayak to prevent water from getting in.

The convertible looks like it sits quite low in the water - is water getting into the the Kayak ever a problem when using it without the optional decks?

Im having having last minute second thoughts!

Thanks

Chris

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:51 pm

I'd recommend that you be careful with any kayak when you're going a mile or more offshore. You're probably already really experienced and are used to crossing to the islands you're planning to visit -- but I always encourage people to bring safety gear. And when I'm going to offshore islands, it's fun going with a few friends. We check the forecasts for weather as well as tides & currents, and we've always had a good time out in our kayaks.

Amuzed2pieces

Post by Amuzed2pieces » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:20 pm

We have taken ours offshore about 2.5 miles in both the Atlantic off the Keys for snorkeling and Puget Sound, but only with precautions. All areas we travel are heavily boated. We have both the Convertible and 2 Expeditions.

The boats are stable in rough seas even in 3-4 foot white caps we got tossed, and water came over the top, but we were never ever close to tipping. You are vulnerable to wind, so we don't head out with the wind at our back, only in our face. That way we don't fight wind on a return trip.

I would consider the drop-stitch floor for extra boyancy incase of unrepairable air-leak. We are getting it this year. We use the backbones only now.

We carry an an 4lb anchor inside on long trips, tied to the boat in the event of a capsize it will reduce wind drift, but we have never capsized. Each boat also has a 20ft light line with locking carbiners at both ends incase we need to tie up to each other, a bouy, or another boat, or be towed.
We carry 1 days extra water, 2 tube repair kits, first aid kit, a pump. and 2 ways to bail the boats, just in case we both have to bail in a rush.

We are usually in cel phone range so we carry two phones in water tight pouches, but would carry a hand held VHF marine radio when on longer trips.

Water proofing the fabric keeps the inside of our boats much drier from waves. Its a must at sea.

Paddle leashes, flashing portable light beacon and headlamps for getting caught out after dark. Because of lots of motor boats we carry a flag on collapsable pole, being hit by a boat is probably our biggest danger. We also sometimes carry an extra life vest.

Because I am big, we have never used spray skirts or rarely decks because we sometimes snorkel off our boats, but I see their advantage in big waves or rain. As well the decks for the convertible don't have zippers so I can't get in and out of the kayaks easily.