Where are they made?

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

FrankP

Where are they made?

Post by FrankP » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:46 am

Where does AE have their kayaks made?

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:29 pm

Made in China

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:02 pm

Isn't everything these days? But, made in China doesn't have to be the kiss of death. Stringent oversight by the parent company is the key. The old saying 'the fish rots from the head down' is very applicable here. Whatever the boss allows to happen, will happen.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Mine has been going strong for 4 years now - despite being subjected to 30degC+ temperatures almost every weekend and not being washed or treated with UV protecting chemicals! OK, it is looking tired, but it still works!

FrankP

Post by FrankP » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:46 pm

There was no implication of poor quality when made in China. I love my kayak and we have had a great time this season. I was curious. I plan on buying a folding kayak this spring. A long Haul Mark 2 and we will use the AEC as a guest kayak.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:52 pm

Mine is six years old, gets a lot of use, and is great!

FrankP

Post by FrankP » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:27 am

We used our AEC for one season so far but we have decided to purchase a Long Haul Mark 2 as our primary kayak and use the AEC as a family guest kayak. The two boats are vastly different in cost and abilities, however, I will never regret the money we spent buying and improving the AEC (BB, DS floor, better seats & conversion decks). We got out on the water! I see now that we will be able to invite family and friends out for the day to share in the fun of being on a lake or river with us.

Suza

Post by Suza » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Just purchased a new DS-XLC. Box says "made in Indonesia"

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:25 am

In 2016 we moved operation to Indonesia. The majority of Kayaks are made there while we still have many of our Accessories made in China.

Suza

Post by Suza » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:47 am

Made in Indonesia. Are they assembled in the US?

The reason I ask is, we were impressed with the care that apparently went into assembly and packaging. Kudos to whoever is responsible; great job :D

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:39 am

Made and assembled in Indonesia. We work closely with our factory to insure high quality and attention to detail. Each kayak is closely inspected and air tested over 72 hrs. All is done in a very clean and safe environment. Even when we ship them to our warehouse, we inspect some to make sure things have been done properly and completely to our standards.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:23 pm

As a user I'd like to chime in that these kayaks impress me also!
I've handled and paddled a Skedaddle (old version of the Lagoon sold at West Marine), a Lagoon, an AdvancedFrame, an Expedition, an AirFusion, a Convertible, and a StraitEdge2. All were made of good tough materials and all the seams were sealed good & tight.
I've been to plenty of paddle festivals and handled different brands of inflatable and folding kayaks. In my opinion, these kayaks -particularly the Expedition- are the gold standard of inflatable and folding kayaks. Every comment I read in the forum that brings up any problem has a follow-up comment showing their customer service solves the problem. Right on!

lee johnson

Post by lee johnson » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:54 pm

Regardless of the company, most inflatable kayaks are made in Asia: China, Korea, Indonesia, and the like. AE's products have always been very well made, and the warranty and customer service back up that confidence in their work. AE's designs are all done in the San Francisco Bay area, and it is an American company. I now have a new AirFusion Elite, made in Indonesia, and it is every bit as good, if not better, than the Chinese-made Original AirFusion and AirFusion Elite I once owned and have since "sold" to friends who are also enthusiasts for AE's work, in the hope they will continue to spread the good news. My idea of selling something to a friend would make you happy to be a friend!
Last edited by lee johnson on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:42 pm

It's great to hear from jcooley that Advanced Elements is keeping track of the factories. My kayaks are much more enjoyable in good conscience because they are made in a safe and clean environment.
Workers overseas don't always have the protection of good labour laws.