Used AE Convertible and Maintenance

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

soalle

Used AE Convertible and Maintenance

Post by soalle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:51 am

Hello all!

this is my first post, I am beginner in kayaking and I am interested in AE inflatables.

I am about to buy a second-hand Advanced Frame Convertible. I have two questions:

- is there something specific you suggest to look out, to assess the condition of the kayak? any parts that are more likely to be subject to tear and wear?

- as the kayak is 3 years old, what is the main maintenance that you advice to do in order to put it back in shape?

Many thanks!

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:25 pm

I advise that you look at the bottom of the outer hull, to see if there are any scratches. Little scratches are fine, but big tears through the outer hull will need to be repaired.

For maintenance, set the kayak up, inflate it about 90% full rather than drum-tight, and look at it carefully. Wipe any dirty places with a damp facecloth. Then let the kayak dry. You might add a small drop of liquid soap to the cloth, but be sure to wipe all the soap off the kayak! My AE kayaks have been used for more than three years and they have a couple of small stains (one from a tarry dock, one from a rusty bicycle), but that does not bother me.

Get a bottle of 303 protectant spray from a marine supply store, and spray the kayak all over the outside. 303 protects the surface from sunlight damage. This is not essential! But without 303, over time the colours of the deck will fade and the outer hull will become more brittle. My oldest AE kayak is seven years old and I spray it once a year.

soalle

Post by soalle » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:30 am

Thanks!

I am about to buy the 303 Fabric Guard.

Do you suggest to spray it only over the outer cover or also the tube cover (being careful not to spray it over plastic and PVS parts)?

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:34 am

The label of your 303 bottle describes what surfaces this spray is good for. I interpret it to mean "spray the kayak all over, then take a tissue or paper towel and wipe off the valves."