Filled?

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

mrod312

Filled?

Post by mrod312 » Tue May 13, 2014 4:07 pm

My AFC 2 never seems full. I've left it with an electric pump and it never seemed to get as full as I would think it needed to be. Should the chambers bend/sag at all? Is that normal? I feel like it should be as full as a bike tire where you can press down and there is no give, but in reality if I press down on a chamber there is plenty of give. I hope I'm making sense.....my question is....when its filled, how do you know? (because mine never seems filled and I'm wondering if I have a leak I don't know about)

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Thu May 15, 2014 1:12 pm

Which electric pump ? The low pressure fan type one i hope!! That should be used just to fill out the kayak and then top up with a good handpump . The easiest way is to use an inline pressure gauge available from your AE dealer , which takes away all the guesswork.

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Post by rlpugh1 » Thu May 15, 2014 4:54 pm

Unfortunately, electric pumps do not provide nearly enough pressure. You're looking at maybe 0.8 psi max if you're lucky. The kayak needs 2-2.5 psi to be fully inflated. At the same time, the kayak should not be inflated so full that its rock hard like a bike tire, that could blow out your cover!

A good rule of thumb is to inflate until it seems like the kayak is getting pretty full (you should never feel resistance in your pump though). Then stop and pick the kayak up from one end by the carry handle. Give the kayak a good thrust downwards and if it flexes or "taco's" at all, give it more air. The floor is a different story-1 psi max. So the floor should get firm but still have some give to it. The best way to check this is to press your finger into the floor. You should be able to press all the way down and touch through to the bottom hull material.

Of course the best way to gauge all of this is with a pump gauge. Like Timbo said, you can pick up the inline valve adapter and add it to your pump (if its an AE pump) OR you can get an AE hand pump with gauge.