Pumping Out Water

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

darolh

Pumping Out Water

Post by darolh » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:24 pm

We've had our boat for a couple of years now and have been getting our money's worth. We've been in salt water, fresh water, rivers, lakes, and enjoyed it a lot. This last trip we had the enjoyment of dealing with surf. On a couple of occasions we took on quite a bit of water. No big deal, we have dry bags and a bilge pump I says to myself. Well pumping water out of the boat wasn't nearly as successful as I would have liked. There is the issue of the amount of water that accumulates UNDER the floor which cannot be reached by the pump. When we landed we still had 3 gallons or so of water under the floor. If there were a few holes in the floor (like 3 right in front of where seats go) a bilge pump could be inserted through it and depress the boat bottom to gather water to pump it out. You can even send the proof of concept floor to me to try it out. :o)

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:12 am

Spray Skirts work wonders for keeping water out

darolh

Post by darolh » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:58 am

Spray skirts only work while one is in the boat and they remain attached to the combing. Trying to keep water out is a good thing but once inside it needs to be dealt with.

yaka2b

Post by yaka2b » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Snip <You can even send the proof of concept floor to me to try it out.>

This is something I have wanted to try, but did not get to it: Look up Tom Yost Accessories: http://yostwerks.com/AllPVCA.html

Here he uses an electrical conduit pvc connector to make an airtight valve interface.

You could do the same. Use a large dia pvc flange. Ensure the flange top and bottom parts are glued well to the floor, and also apply glue to the inside of the "round cutout" you will make in the floor.

All the best. A good DIYer eventually rules.