Tube pressure in winter

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

kozan

Tube pressure in winter

Post by kozan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:03 am

Hi, in two days i’ll go with mi AFC in Como lake.
It will be the first time with my kayak in winter season, now we have a temperature of the water about 4C-39,2F.
I would like to know if is better to increase the pressure of the main chamber and the floor too or to inflate at stock pressure (2PSI main chamber and 1PSI floor).
Thank you.
Last edited by kozan on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:29 am

I would be inclined to stick to the standard pressure myself.
But check once the Kayak has been in the water for a while and top up if need be , just watch out if you leave the yak on land in the sun!
http://www.inflatablekayakworld.com/adj ... r-pressure

kozan

Post by kozan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:47 am

Timbo wrote:I would be inclined to stick to the standard pressure myself.
But check once the Kayak has been in the water for a while and top up if need be , just watch out if you leave the yak on land in the sun!
http://www.inflatablekayakworld.com/adj ... r-pressure
Tank you for you reply, the site that you linked write:
Cold Weather If you are paddling in the winter time when the air and water are extremely cold then you just need to be aware of the pressure of your kayak. Remember in cold weather you will lose air pressure. Therefore after you have paddled for a several hours you will likely need to check your air pressure and possibly add more air.

If inflatablekayakworld doesn't mistake i must take with me the pump,check the pressure and probably add air.

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Post by rlpugh1 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:13 pm

The best way to do it is to inflate your kayak to the proper pressure (2.0 psi) or a little more at 2.5 psi and then let your kayak acclimate to the water. Once it has acclimated to the water temperature, add more pressure. I know that it takes more time to do it this way, but its better than risking over inflation!

For the floor, definitely only inflate to 1.0 psi. You could damage it by initially over inflating to compensate. If it does go soft, add pressure then, but not before.

kozan

Post by kozan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:20 am

rlpugh1 wrote:The best way to do it is to inflate your kayak to the proper pressure (2.0 psi) or a little more at 2.5 psi and then let your kayak acclimate to the water. Once it has acclimated to the water temperature, add more pressure. I know that it takes more time to do it this way, but its better than risking over inflation!

For the floor, definitely only inflate to 1.0 psi. You could damage it by initially over inflating to compensate. If it does go soft, add pressure then, but not before.
Thank you for your reply,
i think that your way is the best but unfortunately i have not time to wait that the kayak has acclimated.
I'll inflate at 2PSI and i'll take with me my pump to add pressure if necessary.
Floor:ok at 1 PSI and no more :wink:

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:16 am

For the AE1007-R Convertible kayak, you should inflate to min. 2.5 psi before hitting the water. That pressure will be perfect but will decrease in the cooler water to 2 psi. You can even go up to 3 psi if you want. I usually do because then it drops down to where I want it to be.

kozan

Post by kozan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:19 am

Finally i made my excursion, i inflated at 2,3 PSI and i checked the pressure after two hours: the pressure was not changed.
May be because the air temperature was the same that water temperature?

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:47 pm

I'd just like to observe that it's no real problem if the water is cold. Inflate the normal amount. I don't find that the cold makes my kayak look under-inflated after a while. And I don't mind paddling it at 90% full anyways :)
These kayaks handle pretty darned well at 90% inflation. Bringing your pump along to top up if necessary is a good idea too.