What are "must have" accessories?

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Nighthawk700

What are "must have" accessories?

Post by Nighthawk700 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:01 pm

REI is having their 20% off sale staring tomorrow and lasting for a little bit. Last time they had the sale, I got my Convertible. Then we had a really bad winter, so I haven't even had a chance to use it yet. But wanted to find out what accessories would be good to pick up with this sale. I can get one item from REI, and one from REI outlet.

The outlet has the Touring spray skirt, the packlight spray skirt, and the inflatable foot brace.

The main REI store has the electric pump, the foot brace (strap on pedal type) and the backbone.

Since I already have a double pump, and know from my Expedition that a good foot brace makes a big difference, I'm thinking the foot brace and maybe packlight spray skirt. But wanted to get other people's opinion of how useful (or not) these items are. I already have both types of decks.

Main use of the convertible would be to go out with my kids, or if going with a friend, I would be alone in the convertible (the friend would get the expedition)

Thanks for any feedback.

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Post by rlpugh1 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:36 pm

The adjustable footbrace kit would be a great choice, it works great. The inflatable foot brace is only for the front paddler and only if they are short. So it might be useful for your kids when you are out with them.

Either skirt is good, but the touring skirt has suspenders and a "small items" mesh pocket that's nice. So, something to consider. Also, spray skirts are only really necessary in cold, rainy, or rough conditions, so if none of these apply, you may not need it.

12v pump is only good as a starter pump, it won't fully inflate the kayak. So, if you want to save your back and a small amount of time, its worth it, but you would still need your double pump to finish the job.

The backbone is worth the consideration if you would ever be pushing the weight limit in the kayak or if you want a little boost in the performance.

Hope this helps!

Nighthawk700

Post by Nighthawk700 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I was doing some research on the backbone, and saw a few people say that if you frequently are in low water, scraping the bottom or things in the water, it's best not to use the backbone. That describes most of my paddles so far, so I'm thinking I'll nix that idea for now. If I ever expect to go out in deeper water, I'll consider it then.

And I don't really go out in conditions that are too adverse (don't want to get the hearing aids wet), so I may not need the skirts at all.

Thanks again for the food for thought!

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:56 pm

I like my four piece Advanced Elements paddle. I use it sometimes when I use my other kayaks. It doesn't flutter, and it feels comfortable.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:47 pm

You must be a confident paddler, to wear hearing aids on the water! I leave mine onshore with my eyeglasses. Don't want to lose any of them.

Nighthawk700

Post by Nighthawk700 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:44 am

PJohanson wrote:You must be a confident paddler, to wear hearing aids on the water! I leave mine onshore with my eyeglasses. Don't want to lose any of them.
It seems that the AE Kayaks are really really hard to flip over in the water. If I were in a regular kayak, I probably wouldn't have my hearing aids with me. As for my glasses, if I paddled without them, I'd never make it home, everything would just be a blur. :-)