Questions about convertible accessories

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

ChrisW

Questions about convertible accessories

Post by ChrisW » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:30 am

My wife and I are getting back on the water after many years. Background info: we are in our 60's, will paddle mountain lakes in CO mostly, and will paddle solo with a dog. Our previous experience was on a canoe. I am trying to find demo days, but not having any luck, so I will use the experiences of others to help with my decisions.
1 BB or DS or both? Why? I know you are not to use them together.
2. Adjustable footpegs, helpful? for both? helpful when paddling solo?
3. Paddles. I know this is a very personal choice, but I would like the names of
good paddles. I would rather spend more now and not go through the
upgrades later. I have looked at the AE and Werner paddles so far. Your
opinions of straight vs bent shaft. We will be low angle paddlers.
4. Anything else you think will help us to get started.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:35 pm

1 BB or DS or both? Why? I know you are not to use them together.

We always say try it as is first. It works great. A lot of folks that under inflate the kayak find that the BB or DS is helpful.
If you want extra umph, the BB creates a V shape to the hull helping with tracking at a more affordable price.
The DS creates a more flat bottom but stretches out the kayak a little more. Great for a few hours of paddling but not much more because the hardness takes it's toll on the bum. Costs much more than BB.

2. Adjustable footpegs, helpful? for both? helpful when paddling solo?

In Tandem mode, if front paddler is real short, these can help. Rear paddler doesn't need them.
Great for paddling kayak solo.

3. Paddles. I know this is a very personal choice, but I would like the names of
good paddles. I would rather spend more now and not go through the
upgrades later. I have looked at the AE and Werner paddles so far. Your
opinions of straight vs bent shaft. We will be low angle paddlers.

Paddles are a very personal choice. We offer a wide variety to offer for beginning paddlers to experienced paddlers as well as to fit your budgetary needs. Almost all of our paddles are around the 230cm range in length. And almost all break down into 4 parts for easy transportation.
Most popular is the AE2015 Compact touring. If you want a little lighter, step up to the AE2030 Axis or jump up to the AE2035 Carbon Fiber Touring. You just want to make sure that the paddle is 230cm to 240cm. That is the length that works best with our kayaks.

4. Anything else you think will help us to get started.

First thing is to get the kayak, paddles and pump. After a few paddles, see if you think you really need any of the additional items. I never paddle it in rough conditions so I do not have the decks. No need if water isn't splashing over the sides. I also don't use the BB. Properly inflated it performs great. Get the AE2011 Pump w/gauge to take out the guess work in inflating it. You should be ready to go!

Happy Paddling
Last edited by JCOOLEY on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:36 pm

As for accessories -- I don't know what the boating safety laws are in Colorado, but it's a darned good idea to wear life jackets or personal flotation devices, and to have on board a floating rope, a bailer or water pump, and a loud noisemaker such as a whistle. That's the law in lots of places!
Also, I pack a small drybag as a "dunk bag" of useful things in case I get soaked or miserable.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:21 am

Very good point. I always assume it is common knowledge, but there are 650 reported watercraft deaths per year in the US. 150+ of those are Kayak and SUP related. Almost always due to not wearing a PFD. It is actually Federal Law according to the Coast Guard to wear a PFD. Parks, sheriffs, etc. are there to enforce it. Always wear a PFD!

Nighthawk700

Post by Nighthawk700 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:10 am

JCOOLEY wrote:1 BB or DS or both? Why? I know you are not to use them together.

We always say try it as is first. It works great. A lot of folks that under inflate the kayak find that the BB or DS is helpful.
If you want extra umph, the BB creates a V shape to the hull helping with tracking at a more affordable price.
The DS creates a more flat bottom but stretches out the kayak a little more. Great for a few hours of paddling but not much more because the hardness takes it's toll on the bum. Costs much more than BB.
Also depends on what kind of conditions you find yourself paddling in most of the time. Now that the kids are in school, I *FINALLY* got to take my wife out in the Convertible for her first time yesterday. There were a few spots where we rubbed across the bottom of the lake. Since this happens to me in a lot of my paddling, I'm shooting for the DS once it's back on the market.

ChrisW

Thanks

Post by ChrisW » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:07 pm

Sorry about the delay to your replies to my questions. I will try the convertible as is for a while to see if anything is needed. I will get the foot pegs as both my wife and I will paddle it solo. Good point on the DS not being comfortable on longer trips. I was thinking the winds come up quickly here, so maybe the BB would help. I have read that some feel the BB makes it uncomfortable too. Not sure what to do, but will try it before buying either one. Thanks again😄.

ChrisW

Thanks

Post by ChrisW » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:07 pm

Sorry about the delay to your replies to my questions. I will try the convertible as is for a while to see if anything is needed. I will get the foot pegs as both my wife and I will paddle it solo. Good point on the DS not being comfortable on longer trips. I was thinking the winds come up quickly here, so maybe the BB would help. I have read that some feel the BB makes it uncomfortable too. Not sure what to do, but will try it before buying either one. Thanks again😄.

ChrisW

Thanks

Post by ChrisW » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:10 pm