First Paddle

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

AlW

First Paddle

Post by AlW » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:32 am

We bought our AE1007 about a year ago, but only tried it out in our pool, in tandem mode. We are in the FL Keys for the weekend and I tried it in single mode today with not so good results.

I found it easy to paddle and it tracked well, but I guess I don't know enough about setting it up. I have the standard seats. In the single mode, there doesn't appear to be any way to place the thwart so it provides back support like it dos in tandem mode. I found I would paddle about three strokes and would end up in "crunch" position, using my abs to hold myself upright. The seat bottom would slide forward or I would slide off of it and be leaning back onto the seat back. I had no foot support, and I didn't see how to use the thwart as one in single mode as I think I was supposed to be able to do.

Part of my problem was probably my paddling technique. When we got it I viewed all the tutorials I could find, but I had forgotten most of what I learned so I was pulling the paddle instead of pushing it. Maybe that caused me to slide forward.

I moved the seat to the forward tandem position so I could use the thwart, but I had on bulky sandals and there was not enough room for my feet in the bow.

So,

1. In single operation, how can I stabilize my position? Wedge the thwart towards the bow as a foot rest? Get the adjustable foot pegs?

2. Does the accessory lumbar seat provide any better support? The standard seat seems too low and I end up leaning back over the top of it.

Thanks,

Al

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:15 am

The biggest issue is leaning back. You should not be doing that. You should be sitting in an upright position using your core.
The Thwart is for when there are two people paddling. It helps prevent the sides from bending in and nothing more. Some people use it as a foot brace for the rear paddler but that is not the intended use.
To brace yourself, you can slide your feet under the side tubes.
You can also get the AE4003 Foot Brace.
The AE2013 Lumbar seat does have a higher back and does offer a little more support in a seat if that is what you are looking for.
You can also look at aftermarket seats from other companies. The only issue is they do not have buckles like our seats so you cannot clip them in. YOu would need to rig them to work.

AlW

Thanks

Post by AlW » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:17 pm

While I might could hold myself up given some support, I'm getting none. I was worn out after paddling about 500 yds. Now, I'm not in great shape, but I'm of the opinion this should be fun, not torture.

I think the cause is mostly no foot support, but the seat bottom is sliding forward and I'm sliding off the seat bottom. I'm looking at some aftermarket seats. As you said, I'll have to do some rigging. I'm thinking I can run strap(s) from the seat bottom aft to the center seat buckles when I'm paddling tandem and to the rear seat buckles when I'm paddling single. that should stop the seat from moving forward. A higher back would be good, too.

What are the relative merits of the inflatable foot support v. the adjustable foot pegs?

Thanks,

Al

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:23 pm

To properly paddle, you want to push your bottom into the seat instead of leaning back. If you concentrate on pushing into the seat, it will stay upright and not slide. Foot support does help. Myself, I just wedge my feet under the tubes and it works fine.
As mentioned, the thwart is not a foot brace but used to brace the sides when there are two paddlers. When I paddle solo, I leave it in the bag.
The AE2012 Inflatable foot brace creates a flat surface to push against and wedges into the front of the kayak. Unfortunately when you paddle solo in the center of the kayak, you will not be able to reach it as it will be too far forward. It can be used by the front paddler when in tandem.
So the best option for any kind of foot brace is the AE4003 Adjustable foot brace.
You can also cram a bunch of gear into the front but most choose not to.

AlW

Post by AlW » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:33 pm

Thanks. I think I'm going to go for the foot pegs first and then maybe a different seat if the foot support doesn't do it.

Al

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sun May 08, 2016 5:41 pm

I like putting a gearbag in the front and bracing my feet against that, or sneaking my feet under the tubes on the sides.
The position for kayaking is torso forward, knees up a little. Your tailbone should be the closest part of you to the stern, then your belt, then your shoulderblades. When I had trouble with soft seats in inflatables, I was sitting slumped or reclining back on my spine. Now I sit leaning slightly forward with a straight spine.

Suza

Seat Attachment

Post by Suza » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:06 pm

Does the bottom portion of the AE seat not have an attachment strap that hooks to a D-ring behind the seat? This is how my hard shell kayak seat attaches. If not, could you add a glue on D-ring for securing the aftermarket seat strap?

Also, in regards to using aftermarket seats in the AF: There are now adapter clips available that make these compatible with AE fittings

Kayak Seat Link AE2502.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:23 pm

The bottom does not have an attachment strap.
If sitting properly in the kayak, your lower portion of your body will be pushing into the bottom of the seat so it does not move.
You could use the D-Ring kit to attach D-Rings to accommodate an after market seat.
Yes, the AE2502 is now available to attach after market seats to the kayak.