2 adults + 1 kid in the AdvancedFrame 2 (not Convertible)

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

brenstrom

2 adults + 1 kid in the AdvancedFrame 2 (not Convertible)

Post by brenstrom » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:21 am

I am considering the AdvancedFrame2 DS. It's 13 feet, compared to the 15 foot Convertible. Can I reasonably fit 2 adults and 1 small child in the shorter AF2? Before you immediately tell me to buy the Convertible instead, hear me out:

My thinking is that the Convertible might be too large for those times when just 1 person wants to use it. It's a large, heavy boat for 1 person. And with a 2nd kid on the way, I think it might be better to try to squeeze the 3 of us in the AF2 for this season, because realistically, next season one of us adults is going to have to stay on shore with the baby. When kid#2 is about 2 years old we could consider buying a 2nd AF2, and put 1 adult and 1 kid in each.

I've seen some pictures of 2 adults and 2 kids stuffed into one Convertible, but it doesn't look like you'd want to spend a lot of time in that configuration. So I think 1 AF2 now, and possibly a 2nd later, makes more sense in terms of both cost and usability? But it all depends on if I can fit 2 adults and 1 kid in it for the rest of this season. I haven't been able to find much info on the AF2, and my local REI only sells the larger Convertible.

brenstrom

Post by brenstrom » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:55 pm

well I decided to give it a shot and ordered the AF2. I will report back on my experience.

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Post by rlpugh1 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:49 pm

13' is a short boat for putting more than 2 people in it, even if it is a child. Secondly, all AE kayaks are Coast Guard certified for a maximum of 1 to 2 person/s depending on the model so we cannot advise using the kayak beyond the rated passenger capacity of 2 people.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:28 pm

I think it's better to have TWO kayaks that are small enough to carry rather than try to fit two adults & a child into any of these kayaks, even a Convertible.

I would recommend an Expedition for an adult with any gear, and a Lagoon2 for an adult paddling with a child.

Safety first! It's better than an accident, or a tragedy.

My friends paddled a big 17-foot fiberglass canoe with a child between two paddlers. It was only big enough while the child was little, and they stayed on flat water. Of course, everyone wore life jackets!