Convertible bulge

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

shady

Convertible bulge

Post by shady » Thu May 22, 2008 7:50 am

I just bought a Convertible and it doesn't seek quite right when inflated.
The main tubes were at just below 2 psi

Firstly, there is a bulge in the main tube right be where the rear paddler sits (at the valve)

Secondly, the whole thing is lopsided.

Thirdly, the push valves for tubes 1 and 2 don't seem to take any air when in the inflate position. The only way I can get air in is to push the button in, inflate, and then when taking the pump off, be very fast. When you turn the button to the left or the right, is it supposed to stop? mine both keep turning. There are points at which it stays in, and points at which it pops out, but I can't get any air in it when it is out.

If anyone has any advice on what I can do that would be great. I'm taking it camping with me this weekend

Photo of the bulge

Photo of the lopsidedness

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu May 22, 2008 8:37 am

First off, all the bulge is that your tube isn't aligned correctly. Sometimes after being folded up, the tube may get a little out of alignment. All it takes is a quick adjustment. Here are some ways to realign the tube.
1. Before inflating the kayak make sure that the Aluminum ribs are in the grey tube cover and that they are pushed all the way into the bow and stern of the kayak.
2. You can place some paper in between the grey tube cover and the outer cover where the velcro meets each other. When you go to inflate the kayak the will prevent the velcro from letting the tube naturally fill out the outer cover. From the picture, this appears to be the reason it looks lopsided. The velcro is pulling the cover to one side over the other.
3. When you say the valves don't seem to take air, I am assuming that you are using a 12v electric pump. These will not completely inflate the kayak. They do not provide enough pressure to do so. They will get the kayak started but it will need to be topped off with a Bellows foot pump or a Double Action hand pump.
4. If the kayak is underinflated, the tubes may kink as well. When you get it to full pressure, the tube has a tendency to straighten itself out.

Try these methods and you should find that the kayak will straighten out and will be fine. If you continue to have issues, email Advanced Elements directly at info@advancedelements.com.

Jeremy
8)

shady

Post by shady » Thu May 22, 2008 9:33 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try the re-alignment suggestions you made.

As for the electric pump, I discovered that it didn't fully inflate the Kayak, so also bought the hand pump. I used the hand pump here.

The thing about the valves, the instructions say push in and rotate counter clockwise until it locks to inflate. What does "lock" mean, does that mean the button pops out. If so, When the button is out, it doesn't matter how much I pump, no air goes in. The only way I can get air in is if the button is pushed in.

BladeZealot

Post by BladeZealot » Thu May 22, 2008 10:32 am

your on the right track with the valves. They only hold air when turned or "locked" down. "Locked" is simply referring to the fact they remain in that position when turned.

By the same token, deflating is accomplished by "locking" them in the out position.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu May 22, 2008 12:17 pm

If the stem is Popped up then it is in the inflate position. If it is pushed down then it is in the deflate position. Part of the problem could be that the back of the valve is pressed up against the bottom of the tube. Try pulling the valve away from the tube. YOu can also start pumping air in it while it is in the deflate position. Stop then push and turn stem so that it is in the inflate position. You should be able to continue pumping without any restrictions. I could probably assist you further if I know the Hull ID # on the kayak.

Jeremy
8)

BladeZealot

Post by BladeZealot » Thu May 22, 2008 12:49 pm

BladeZealot wrote:your on the right track with the valves. They only hold air when turned or "locked" down. "Locked" is simply referring to the fact they remain in that position when turned.

By the same token, deflating is accomplished by "locking" them in the out position.

DOH!!!!!

I 'splained it kinda back-erds did'nt I!! :)