3 in Convertible (1 adult, 2 kids)???

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Wasabi

3 in Convertible (1 adult, 2 kids)???

Post by Wasabi » Mon May 26, 2008 8:08 am

Leaning towards the Dragonfly2 XC for first IKs for family of 4 (see prior post). However, am wondering if the AF Convertible could seat 3 - 2 kids and 1 adult. There may be times when only 1 adult in the family wants to take the kids out. Both my spouse and I are around 5'6", 135 lbs, and the kids are ages 11 and 8 (76 lbs and 54 lbs), so weight shouldn't be an issue, but space/comfort may be.

Anyone ever try 3 (1 adult, 2 kids) in the Convertible? Can the front seat be moved a little forward, to accomodate a small passenger in the middle? Or would it be too tight, uncomfortable or unstable? Perhaps too difficult to handle? The adult would be doing most of the paddling from the rear, with the 11 year-old most likely in front paddling a little, and the 8 year-old riding in the middle on an extra seat or cushion.

Would adding the backbone make a difference?

Thanks for any comments/suggestions!

leckig

Post by leckig » Mon May 26, 2008 10:03 am

i think if you move the front seat to the first position (yes, it can be mounted in 3 different places), the kids will be fairly comfortable behind you.

if you have REI near by, go there, they may have the convertible in stock. Or if you are from Ohio, just let me know.

greg

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue May 27, 2008 9:34 am

Putting more than 2 people, regardless of size, in the Convertible is against the recommended use. It would be to your discretion to put more than 2 people. If you were to put one child in the front seat position, the second in the middle (solo) seat position and you in the rear, it may work but youprobably won't have a lot of leg room for yourself especially.

Jeremy
8)

sedimentary

Paddled with 3 last Saturday.

Post by sedimentary » Wed May 28, 2008 5:00 am

My brother and I paddled a lake on a cold windy day this past Saturday. Adults in fore and aft, and my 5 year old in the middle. The front seat was moved forward as much as possible, and I with a 6'2" frame could stretch my legs all the way out flat. My brother slid his seat all the way back, but since we used the foot brace for my son to lean back on, this used a lot of room. My brother just put his legs out on top of the hull sides. In order to save around 7-8 inches of space, get a cheapo Crazy Creek chair or another seat from AE.

Stable as can be with plenty of room for more payload.

cosmo

2 kids and 1 Adult works great

Post by cosmo » Wed May 28, 2008 12:31 pm

I just bought an AE convertible to be used with two kids (7 and 11) and an adult 6' 200 lbs. I sat in the front and had both kids share the back seat. They loved it and I was pleased with the tracking of the kayak. Only I oared.

I carry the kayak to the river on our bicycle. Its a bit heavy for that at 56 lbs. but the fact that it carries both kids so nicely makes up for the weight. I'm going to be documenting our bike-rafting adventures at http://veloportage.org

PJohanson

PFDs

Post by PJohanson » Fri May 30, 2008 10:37 am

I'm so glad to hear about people enjoying their boats with their kids! And all of you wear life jackets (PFDs), right?
We got some small PFDs for kids we know, at secondhand stores and yard sales. Cost only ten bucks, and no grief if after a day at the lake the PFD gets used as a sit-upon at the campfire & gets melted marshmallow dripped on it.
I used to think everyone floats, but my dad sinks like a stone, and so do some bony, muscular kids.
Sorry to sound fussy, but it really is important. PFDs are no substitute for learning how to swim and for boating safely, of course.

sedimentary

Post by sedimentary » Fri May 30, 2008 6:00 pm

Always do!!! Mandatory for all passengers no matter the age.