ICE OFF IN MONTANA

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

mtpaddler

ICE OFF IN MONTANA

Post by mtpaddler » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:08 pm

MONTANA – Finally, a weekend without snow in the weather prediction and a chance to try out my new AE Convertible. The first & only problem I encountered was the fact that the hose hookup for the inflation valve differed from the same style valves on my raft and duckie. I solved that problem with a knife. I also placed plastic bags between the Velcro strips until the inflated tubes settled in as per a tip from the question & answer section of Advance’s website and everything lined up just fine. I purchased two woven rugs from WalMart for $2.50 each and covered the floor with them since I was going to have people jumping in and out on a regular basis. They worked quite well for keeping the inside clean and dry when it came time to pack up. I purchased 230 MM Carlisle Magic paddles and didn’t take on any water from drippage in two days of paddling but I can see where decking can help inexperienced paddlers from taking on water. Ease of paddling was good and I was able to maintain an adequate trolling speed by myself for fishing resulting in a total fish count of 16 with two separate passengers. Tracking was straight and true and wind effected the Convertible very little. All in all, so far I’m very pleased with my purchase. One little plus to this trip – my wife and I were able to observe a 1 ½ to 2 year old 200 lb grizzly bear cub for about 15 minutes at 30 yards from the safety of our kayak. Too Cool!! I really want to do a solo trip into Shoshone in Yellowstone this year and see no problem at all with storage of gear for one for several days in the backcountry (bear spray included).