AFC2 in whitewater

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

monamart

AFC2 in whitewater

Post by monamart » Tue May 18, 2010 6:02 pm

John wrote:Assured I could not tip I hit the rivers. On one river class 2/3 immagine my shock when I tipped, not once but three times. A half submerged rock and a half submerged branch were the culprits. The kayak is stable but given the right conditions anything will capsize.
Quoting John in a previous subject, has anyone else tried the AFC2 in whitewater??.. I am new to kayaks and found this model incredible. I have done some rafting and would like to take it to Colorado to the Arkansas river for kayaking with my wife..

Mario

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:09 pm

When using a kayak or canoe in white water you need to learn two things. Lower you center of gravity (for canoes) and use your hips. Side to side for waves and back for dips. Best word would be loosen your hips. It will lessen the chance of flipping. I hope that makes sense.

monamart

Post by monamart » Wed May 19, 2010 6:36 am

Thanks for the tip dspid2404, but has anyone used this particular kayak in whitewater?? here in the US.?...

mtpaddler

Post by mtpaddler » Mon May 24, 2010 3:27 pm

I've rafted and kayaked the Arkansas many times between Buena Vista and Canon City. That is the most popular stretch for rafting and can be very dangerous. If it was my first trip I'd book with professionals. I own a convertible and a duckie. The 'vert is great up to class 2 but the duckie can handle class 4. Taking the convertible down the Arkansas would be like 4-wheeling in a stretch limo. Pueblo Reservoir is on the Arkansas after it comes out of the mountains. I'd paddle my 'vert there.

tntray

Re: AFC2 in whitewater

Post by tntray » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:37 am

I just joined, and read your question. I have used our advanced frame on class 2 and 3 rivers in the tandem configuration and done one section of the descuhtes river that was class 4 solo. I would reccomend learning to roll your kayak because it will happen. We have it outfitted with the backbone, spray deck and spray skirts. Also I would not reccomend annything over class 2 to beginners. As for manuverability it is a van compared to a sports car. By the way it surfs pretty well also.

monamart

Re: AFC2 in whitewater

Post by monamart » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:39 am

Thanks for the input tntray, I will take it into consideration, My wife and I have paddle the Arkansas river here in Texas with very mild rapids I would say Class 0.5 and it handled very nice. Of course my wife wants to take it to a class III or IV. So will see..

Thanks.

Mario

micahgee

Post by micahgee » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:50 pm

I suggest using a self-bailing boat.

In addition I worry about the slow turning speed of the 'vert, I can imagine many situations where the 15' boat simply can't turn fast enough in rough whitewater.

The entire Advanced Frame line of Kayaks are shaped more like a sea kayak than a whitewater kayak. The frames are more suited for flatter water paddling ie good tracking.

In addition, the Frame's tendency to take on splashed water through the zippers, among other places, will only add to the sluggishness. The tracking of the convertible especially will prove disastrous, when you cannot spin the boat around when you need to avoid an obstacle. Definitely not a good idea to take on serious (II+) rapids in my humble opinion.

The Straitedge 1 or 2 seems much more suited to whitewater, even if not perfect itself. At least its a sit-on-top self-bailer that seems much more suited to the whitewater. I admit I have never used them myself, but the demos at the local shop look mighty impressive! They are slightly wider and have no molded skeg which means they will turn faster.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of straight edge 1's myself =)

tntray

Post by tntray » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:18 pm

I would agree with micahgee. You do take some water in through the zippers, a self bailing boat like the Straight edge would be much better if you plan on wight water use. Although I have taken ours through a set of class 4 rapids it is not something would reccomend for anyone but an advanced level kayaker. Once you take some water in it becomes very sluggish in handeling. We bought ours to use mainly on the lakes and oceans and it has performed admarably the 4 years we have had it. Two years ago we split it into 2 bags and even took it to Belize.