SEE before buy?

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Lar_Dog

SEE before buy?

Post by Lar_Dog » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:03 am

We're wanting to buy, Convertible vs Straitedge2... Can't find ANY setup or on water in Sacramento. All suggestions welcome - hesitant to buy "unseen."

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:29 am

Check the REIs in your area or check with Adventure Sports on El Camino or California Canoe and Kayak on Folsom Blvd in Rancho Cordova

Lar_Dog

Thanks

Post by Lar_Dog » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:09 am

Have already tried most - REI none set up, and don't carry Straitedge; CA Canoe order only, NONE stocked... Am calling all within reasonable driving distance, and will also be in SanFran Friday will try there - THANKS!

Ryker

Post by Ryker » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:20 pm

The Berkeley REI almost always has more than one AE on display - call before you go and they will often set one up, just for you.

Lar_Dog

Adventure Sports

Post by Lar_Dog » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:49 pm

They had an Expedition set up, and say they'll have others, including STRAITEDGE, set up "in November, for Christmas." Also suggested that our intended use (slow river/flatwater) would be best matched by the STRAITEDGE. Does the 2010 STRAITEDGE2 have rod holders, as the 2011 specs list? He was skeptical...

Am calling REI Berkeley tomorrow for a Monday visit. THANKS for your help!

Lar_Dog

Post by Lar_Dog » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:19 am

If we're really wanting the STR2 (which seems most likely) we're back to go, as REI doesn't carry! He also said it is best for us due to self-bailing and a more rigid/stable bottom - and the Conv really required the "pole," which adds another $100.

Really appreciate your opinion - don't really want to wait until Nov... AND want rod-holders... THANKS!!

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:19 am

The Conv. is really firm and the Backbone is not necessary. Is does add a little especially when there are two people paddling. The SE2 has to generic rod holders attached to the bow and stern bag. If you are going by the REI in Berkeley, you may want to call California Canoe and Kayak in Jack London Square, Oakland to see if they have a SE2 set up. I doubt it but maybe they do or at least a single.

Lar_Dog

Post by Lar_Dog » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:49 am

So you disagree that the SE2 is a better choice for 2 inexperienced paddlers on slow/flat river water? It appears unlikely that we're ever going to actually see one, so have to go somewhat on "faith."

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:28 am

If you are primarily going to be using it on rivers, then I definately agree that it is a good choice. I was only disagreeing with the REI sales assoc. who said that the Conv. really needs the backbone.
If rivers are where you are going to be using it the most, the SE2 has more manueverability than the Conv. The Conv. works better in flat water or in coastal conditions where you need better tracking and more stability.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:15 pm

I use the StraitEdge2 on flat water and in very slow currents. It's good for paddling alone or with two paddlers. I'd recommend it for inexperienced paddlers. Of course, I'd also recommend that you know how to swim, have PFDs and safety gear (throw bag of rope, bailer or water pump), and that you practise falling out and climbing back in just to know how.
The StraitEdge2 is a sit-on-top, and on windy days it will feel more like a kite than like a hard plastic kayak that is mostly under the waterline. It's nicely stable for fishing. It's not going to be as fast as the Convertible, but fishermen aren't looking for speed, are they?

Lar_Dog

THANKS Jeremy!

Post by Lar_Dog » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:11 pm

Bit the bullet and just bought the SE2 (saved $100 on Amazon.com) and 2-way pump. Have paddles, now need PFD's, etc. Will be christening it on the lower American River (3 blocks from our house!) next Wed/Thurs. REALLY appreciate all of your help and will "report back" any issues, our experience etc. (on the SE Forum)... Our long-range plan, depending on our experience is to buy an SE Angler next Spring. Then this one will be my/our yak, and the Angler "Hers!"

THANKS again, Larry

Lar_Dog

Post by Lar_Dog » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:13 pm

AND you're right - speed is not really relevant to our intended use - and there's not a whole lot of wind on the lower American; pretty sheltered by terrain/dikes.

ADKnative

Try before buy?

Post by ADKnative » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:57 pm

My local REI let me pull it out of the bag and inflate it in the store. I explained to them it was important for me to see if I could do it on my own before I was prepared to buy anything.

Lar_Dog

Post by Lar_Dog » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:30 pm

We went back to REI 2 days later (they did have a Convertible) and they had "restocked" for the Fall/Winter, and ALL paddle-sports merchandise was GONE; available online only until Spring!!! We are VERY pleased with the Straitedge2. Was able to see one (inflated, and available to try out) in Oakland...California Canoe and Kayak.