AE Expedition : Punctures and repair experience

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator:JCOOLEY

Alex
AE Expedition : Punctures and repair experience

Post by Alex » Sat May 08, 2010 5:14 am

This serves as an index for quick reference.

This is by no means the fastest or best way to patch up punctures,
but by sharing my method here, it offers a quick alternative.
It has worked for me, I hope it will work for you too.

Do not try to patch the punctures yourself unless you are confident.
Do a dip test after every puncture patch session.
Do not paddle your kayak out to sea/lake unless you have left your kayak firmly inflated for at least 24hours after the patch work.

For more details please click link below:
Please scroll down when you get there

http://www.advancedelements.com/phpBB2/ ... =3377#3377

Alex

Puncture repair

Post by Alex » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:46 am

Latest discovery to a longer lasting seal to a pin hole puncture.

A tear-drop of super glue dried over 24 hours will do, without any tape.
This is so, because too big a drop may crack later and break the seal.

Once again, I need to stress the message of not doing your own patch work unless you are confident.

Always do a dip test after each seal of a puncture.

Always pump up your kayak and check its pressure after 24hours before taking it out sea or lake for a long distance paddle.

The good news is although I found a puncture before I started fishing, I survived the 3-hour trip on one of the two main air-chambers of the AE Expedition.

The 2-chamber safety feature does work!

Always bring the air-pump along, just in case. As the punctured chamber lose air, pump air periodically into the remaining chamber with more air to replace the pressure lost.

Stay calm, don't panic.

Regards from a die-hard AE fan,
Alex

micahgee

Post by micahgee » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:49 am

Hey Alex,

just wondering why you use super glue and not say, the included repair glue or another product that is designed for inflatables?

The repair glue is much closer chemically to the vinyl than super glue is. Super glue bonds too strongly for use on an inflatable bladder, and it does not have the flexibility needed when inflated. What happens if some glue leaks and your inner tube gets bonded to the sleeve? If you try to remove it you will tear the tube or you will need to find some superglue "debonder", something that itself may dissolve the tube! I know you may be very careful but why risk it?

I have repaired every puncture in the Airfusion with the included repair glue and it seems to work very well, even the high pressure (4psi) tubes were repairable after a pinhole leak. Pinhole leaks seem easy to repair with a drop of glue. In order to prevent clumping of the glue, I like to blow on it to spread it out in a thin layer over the hole.

I think the superglue is a bad idea...

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:40 am

micahgee wrote:Hey Alex,
I have repaired every puncture in the Airfusion with the included repair glue and it seems to work very well, even the high pressure (4psi) tubes were repairable after a pinhole leak. Pinhole leaks seem easy to repair with a drop of glue. In order to prevent clumping of the glue, I like to blow on it to spread it out in a thin layer over the hole.
Good for you. The idea of blowing to spread the glue is a good one.
The glue I use becomes very hard when dry, I guess it is indeed time for me to change to a more gel-like type of glue when it dries.

But so far I have no problems with the previous patches. :)

Rochmel

Re: AE Expedition : Punctures and repair experience

Post by Rochmel » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:46 am

Hi Does any one have any ideas on how to mend a puncture in the cowl that surrounds the seat in the Airfusion Evo. It appears to be sewn in and not easily removable. Many thanks.