Pearly's Fishing adventures 2011 (Updated 04 October 2011)

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Pearly

Pearly's Fishing adventures 2011 (Updated 04 October 2011)

Post by Pearly » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:21 pm

Well, I think I'd better start a new topic rather than keep adding to the long one from the past couple of years!

The old adventures are here http://www.advancedelements.com/phpBB2/ ... .php?t=436

And the new adventures begin!
Last edited by Pearly on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 19 times in total.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:23 pm

8th Jan 2011

A date with Royalty!

Change of venue! Today, we went over to Tanah Merah on the East Coast. We were greeted with blue sky and blue(ish) water. First on the list was to get some baitfish, so we ventured off to the nearest buoy. After a few drops, we had our first small fish going into the tanks, but the imminent arrival of a Navy RIB soon put a stop to our fishing here.
"Can you please move away from the area? This is a protected place!"
We were outside the markers, but not wanting to argue, we hung our heads and paddled away, with only a few fish in the tanks.

Anyway, not to be beaten, we decided to hook up a fish and drop it down into the depths. We were fishing in around 60 to 80 feet of water, but with a bit of wind to keep us on a good drift.

After half an hour or so, I anchored in a likely spot and was just changing the lure on my second rod, when I heard a lovely sound... ZZZZZZZ.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....

I switched rods and was delighted to feel a fighter on the line again. To my horror, the line went slack and I thought I'd lost it, but then a bar of silver sprang out of the water to my left. I wound line in as quickly as I could and the fish jumped again. Then she went down deep again, pulling off line against a fairly tight drag. Left, right, under the yak and back again.

Then I saw her going toward the anchor rope and round she went. I thought I would lose her here for sure, but she stayed on and circled around in front of me as I lifted the rope. I nervously reached down and grabbed the line. Open wide and ..... GOTCHA!!!! A lovely Queenfish held aloft!

After a couple of photo's, I quickly dropped her back into the water and she swam off nice and strong. Happy now, I moved off toward the water breaker and sought number 2!

A while later, I thought I heard a distant call. Looked around and there was Merv, into the fight with a fishy beast. As I paddled toward him, I could see the fish jump a few times. Getting closer now and Merv was reaching down to get his prize.

This was also quickly released and the fishing continued. Despite our best efforts and inclement weather, these were to be our final catches for today. We did get pretty wet as the monsoon rains came over earlier than usual today!

At least we had our fish - and guess who's was the biggest!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:28 pm

Fishing Party - 15 Jan 2011

We thought it was about time for another get together, so Merv & I arranged for a rendezvous at Sentosa Island. We had 10 yakkers turn up and the fun started straight away with New Year greetings and the usual banter.

Last edited by Pearly on Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:29 pm

Had a great day (even though I didn't get into the biggies!).

First up for me was a Blue Line Hind that fancied the weirdest jig I have!

Past the Sister Islands..

..and onto St. John's

The current at St. John's was getting bad, so I beat a hasty retreat and went to find some bait fish.

Passed the troop on the way, with Siem looking really cool on his umbrella yak!

Top of the line was a Grouper, followed by a mixed bag.

Nothing hit the baitfish, but I did manage to pull up another small Grouper on a Salty Rubber!

All up, a great day out.....and a great deal of envy for Johnson's nice fish!!!

Johnson - A very happy yakker!!!!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:58 am

Sentosa Revisited 22 Jan 2011

After all the fun of our last trip to Sentosa, we fancied a bit more action - and to see if Johnson had left any good fish!

4 of us met up nice and early for a 7am launch. Peter had been back here on Monday, but said the wind and current were terrible. Johnson went back on Tuesday and had to turn back!

We were out a little later than we would have liked and the current had started to flow. We decided to go across in pairs, so Peter and Don went first. They were going sideways in no time at all and ended up half-way to the Sisters Islands! Once they were out of the channel, they were able to paddle back in toward the island and start looking for fish. On seeing how quickly the current had taken them out, I was a little concerned, but Philip said he was good to go, so we waited for a rather large boat to pass in front of us. We paddled hard so we just came across his stern and his wake took us through the worst of the current, dragging us along behind the boat. We came out the other side, not far from the other two!

Once there, we all eagerly wet our lines in anticipation of BIG Grouper and Coral Trout!

First up was this little fella!

This was followed by a looooooong wait before Peter hooked into something sizable. His rod bent over and line peeled out. Up jumped a big Todak (Gar Fish). I thought the toothy critter would cut through for sure, but Peter managed to keep it on the line and have some fun!

After this, I paddled on a little further and in my absence, Peter and Don both landed a Grouper each, no as big as Johnson's former monster, but still respectable. Don was about to put his fish in Peter's icebox - "Just make sure it doesn't jump out" said Peter - it did! This left Don a little annoyed and the fish breathing a sigh of relief!

A little while later, my line shot off and my reel was singing - up jumped a Queen Fish, but spat the hook. I quickly put on another live prawn and cast out. Within a minute or so, off she went again, but this time it was a bigger Queenie - the biggest I have caught so far. After a few acrobatic jumps, she came in to the side of the yak, but she was still fierce. I let her go out again and she made a big dive for freedom - which she found as my clip to my bait line opened up. So this Queenie now has some new jewelery to show off to her friends!

No more fish showed for this day and as the current eased off, we paddled safely back to the launch site.
Last edited by Pearly on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:25 am

Queenie hunt 23 Jan 2011

If you want to catch the Queens, you have to be early - someone said to me. So a VERY early start took us to the very tip of Singapore. At least it was an early start for some of us! As Peter and I were completing our set-up, I looked around for Merv and he had still not arrived. I gave him a call and after quite a few rings, a sleepy Merv answered "Oh no!! I've overslept!"

He said he would join us later, so we set off on our travels. We arrived as the sun was pulling back the cloudy curtains and we were ready for action. We had followed the tide out which made for rapid progress, but the confluence of currents was just picking up by the time we reached the spot. My first take was only small!

After casting around in this area with no more takers, I ventured off to join Peter in the calm zone, sheltered by the water breaker.

I soon had a fish on and this one jumped up in delight. I played her carefully and brought her in for a quick photo. She was a lot smaller than the Queen yesterday, but at least this one made it into the yak!

I didn't think she would make it as the hook was difficult to remove. These fish do not last long out of the water and you normally have about a minute to get them back in. This was taking longer and as the current took me back toward the surf zone, I had to paddle forward before I could release her. Luckily, she was still strong and went off fast.

Tired of battling the currents, I hooked onto a marker float - marking the end of a loooong net! Peter was ahead of me - further up the net. My phone rang and it was Merv, asking our position. I had only just told him and "FISH ON!!! - I'LL CALL YOU BACK!!"

My rod buckled over and the fighter on the other end was pretty strong. I took my time and pulled up a Mangrove Jack.

This one was coming back for dinner, so please forgive me.

By the time Merv appeared, there was a big surf at the confluence and he was having a hard time making progress. I thought he was having fun, but his screams were not those of delight. He looked quite pale and shaken by the time he came near! I think he was relieved to throw his anchor down and regain his composure. He had a couple of big takes on the way to meet us, but both had managed to break free - it turned out that they had actually straightened the hooks on Merv's lure! BIG FISH!!

I looked back occasionally to see how bad the surf was and was just in time to see a family of otters coming out onto the breakwater. They were too far for a decent photo, so we just sat and watched them. A couple of them had caught fish - they must have had some fun in that surf!

I seemed to be the only one getting bites as we fished, but they all turned out to be a small mixed bag - all returned to enjoy the rest of their Sunday.

That last one took a whole squid!

When return time came, Merv was some distance away and was going to carry his kayak over the breaker to save him from having to shoot the rapids again. Peter and I decided to brave it and headed off to the surf zone. We managed it, but it was quite a hairy ride! By the time we reached Merv he was just launching his yak again, so our timing was perfect!

Certainly one to remember!

Cheers,

Ian

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:44 pm

Rain, rain and more rain! 30 Jan 2011

Apart from a brief window this morning, the rain has been heavy all day! I can't remember a day with SO MUCH RAIN!!!!!

We were making plans last night and gradually, my buddies thought it would be better to stay in bed. I didn't know how accurate the weather forecast would be, so decided to have an early look and see how long I could fish for.

Arrived at first light and could see the clouds building up on the horizon. Set off for a quick trip and was soon rewarded with a young Barracuda who thought my 150mm Yo-Zuri looked tasty!

He was not happy and I dare not risk him on the yak as he was far too lively - with a mouth full of sharp teeth. I released him after a quick photo, though even after 7am, it was so cloudy the flash came on the camera and it looks like a night shot.

Shortly after this, I was casting around and a tiny Grouper fancied my good old Stump Jumper lure - almost as big as he was!

Once again the flash came on, so I turned it off, just to prove that it was in fact, daylight!

Looking over my shoulder, the grey mass was closing in and it looked like my trip was going to be cut short!

So, reluctantly, I decided to paddle back after less than an hour's fishing! The rain came fast and before I knew it, it was on top of me!

I was fishing along the shoreline, so took shelter under a bridge until the worst of the rain had passed. When the coast looked to be clearing, I made a dash for freedom and paddled back to base. Halfway there, the heaven's opened.

When I got back to the beach, the yak had a fair bit of water in it, so had to empty out before I could carry it back!

Back at home, I had a shower and went back to bed for a while. Got up and it was still raining. Halfway through the afternoon, it is still raining, but at least I caught some fish!!!

Hehehe!

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:44 pm

This is the reason I always stuff a spray skirt in my kayak. Makes the rain showers a bit less miserable. Especially in a Florida downpour. You'll know what I mean if you've ever been in one. RUN FOR COVER!!!!!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:39 am

Sentosa re-match - 12 Feb 2011

After Johnson's victory catch last time, we were up for a re-match!

The current was flowing, the wind was blowing, but we still managed to have a great time.... and catch some fish!!

I also had this greedy fellow...

Here's Merv's video compilation of the days fun..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... YXIdDSvEkE

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:40 am

Punggol re-union 13 Feb 2011

After 2 years in Oz, TeamTribal was back on the water! I was really hoping he would be able to have a great catch today - the weather was perfect, the current was flowing, the bait was kicking, the lures were shining.....but the fish weren't playing. At least they weren't playing for the rest of us!

I still don't know how he does it, but Merv seems to get the biggest fish on so many occasions! Apart from a small Tiger Grouper, this was my only other catch!! Dunno what he was thinking!!!

Richard managed to catch a couple of Todak and another mystery fish, TT caught a suntan and I caught a nice sunrise!

This fella also caught some sunshine..

And this thing filled the view on the way back!!

Great to be out again!!

Thanks guys!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:52 am

Fish, fish and more fish........... WAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!

Oh boy, did we have some fun today!

We were back on our old hunting ground with a farewell trip for Richard the Ninja and Wan, before they returned to the land down-under.

I was first at the spot and soon was to be first with a fish! A nice Chermin (Diamond Trevally) came up for a quick foto and released back, into the salty stuff.

I was back in again and soon had another fish on - a small Ang Cho (Fingermark Snapper) came up to say hello and then went back in to join the Chermin.

Just to show us that he was still the champ, Merv was next in with a nice big Chermin that put up quite a good fight. Merv's rod was bent double and he was being pulled all over the place as the rest of us looked on - a little green with envy!

Merv likes Chermin!

We were happily fishing there and the Coast Guard decided to see why we looked so happy and came right in the middle of us for a chat. They just wanted to know where we were from and make sure we were all safe, but this ruined the fishing! As things had cooled down on the fishy front, we decided to go to pastures new.

Merv was soon having fun with a Herring jumping up all around his yak. He landed the wee beasty and dropped it back in after a quick pose.

I had a few hits on the lure, but Richard the Ninja crept in and took the next one.

With so many fish around, we kept calling for Wan to come over and get in on the action.

Merv kept hitting fish, but I couldn't take a foto as I was anchored up a distance away - still getting hits before this one was on the yak.

Richard was also getting takes and I was too - fish all over, but where was a fish for Wan. Each time we got a fish, we called out "WAAAAAN!!" "Where's your fish Wan??"

I had two lines in and at one time had two fish on at the same time! Luckily one of them got away and the beast that took my lure was putting up a really good fight! The line was peeeeeeeeling of and each time I managed to get some back, he would take some more. This fight was a good one and after around 10 minutes, he came in close enough for me to grab hold.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!! WHERE'S YOUR FISH??"

I don't know what it was, but wherever Wan went, he just couldn't get a take. He came a bit too close to Merv at one time, so Merv showed him what the fishing was like!

Richard was back in..

He changed his bait to dead prawn for something different and found it in a Cao Xi (Sickle Fish)

Merv was back in..

I was back in again and all of a sudden, we heard a shout from Wan's direction. There he was sitting there with his hands raised. He had a fish take him by surprise on the lure and it took his rod out of his hands! As he exclaimed about his rod, the fish jumped up behind him laughing as it spat out the lure!

Wan paddled off in disgust and went over to Merv for some more ammo.

I sat there wondering and thought I'd try to look for the rod. Rigged up an apollo rig and a heavy sinker and paddled over to the spot for a trawling session. On the first pass, the rod bent and I could feel something heavy on the end. Lucky me - as I reeled up, Wan's lure came into view, so I pulled all the line up to find his rod & reel hanging off the end.

Wan was happy now, but we still couldn't get him a fish! So we just showed him some of ours to make him feel better!

Still, we all had a good laugh and a fantastic trip was had by all!
Last edited by Pearly on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:34 am, edited 5 times in total.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:15 pm

WOW! You finally caught some fish that I recognize.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:48 am

Really? You have the Ten-Pounder / Ladyfish in your waters or the Chermin / Diamond Trevally?

With so much fun on that day, we went back to the same area for a re-match and it was totally different, try and try and try but the fish just weren't playing.

Merv was first to change the scenery with a nice Chermin - AGAIN!!!!

I was to have my revenge soon though as I cast just behind Merv and my rod took a dive. FISH ON!!!! The line was peeling off and the fish then decided that Merv might be the best place to find cover. It pulled me toward Merv and we were soon in a mess with my line over his, round his anchor rope and then soon found its way round mine. It was quite a scene with lots of shouting and confusion, but Merv managed to extricate himself from the fiasco and moved away for me to retrieve my fish from the anchor rope!

Merv was still to be victorious with more fish than me!

We moved back to the spot where all the fish were playing yesterday, but they obviously found a new playground. One thing we did notice was that there were large schools of bait-fish feeding on the water surface today, so maybe the Herring just had enough to eat without having to try to entertain us!

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:05 pm

Nope. Don't have them but I recognize them.

Snook

Post by Snook » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi Ian ... I am new in this forum but I already see all your photos here and in the old post. I am wondering what happened when you attached the transducer from the fish finder inside the hull using Vaseline and electric tape?

In your last photo, I do not see the "arm" where the transducer is fixed. :?