Pearly's Fishing adventures 2011 (Updated 04 October 2011)

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:40 am

04 & 05 June 2011

We had a new guy with us today - he borrowed Merv's yak and had a great time on his maiden kayak fishing trip!

Billy was first in with a nice snapper - I think Merv has the foto for that one.

He caught a nice Mangrove Jack too -

For me, I broke my Pomfret virginity.... 3 times!

Pomfret number 1..

Number 2

Number 3

MJ for me..released after the photo...

Glooper..

Another MJ on Berkley Gulp Shrimp..

Gulp..

Last edited by Pearly on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:53 am

The following day, we went out again and found some different colours..

Even though it was pouring rain the whole morning, we had a LOT of fish today, and all but 2 were released by me! I kept one Mangrove Jack (had that for lunch - sooooo fresh!) and a nice Snapper.

lakejumper

Post by lakejumper » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:04 pm

Ian,

I'm curious how are you powering the fishfinder? I've used one in a power boat but it ran off of a large and heavy marine battery.

I'm thoroughly enjoying your fishing photos and how you all are rigging your kayaks for fishing.

Thanks

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:26 pm

The fishfinder runs off a small 12V 7Ah battery. The current draw is only 0.5 Amps so the battery will last for a couple of weekends before needing to be re-charged. Some of the guys use normal AA batteries and place the pack in a waterproof container.

I use the battery for inflating the yak with a 12VDC pump too. You can use a motorcycle battery which tend to be more expensive, like YUASA, but they are a very good battery. I used YAUSA as my first battery, but switched to a smaller, lighter battery later. As long as the battery in protected in a waterproof container, it is fine.

This is my old battery. I put the fuse inside the box.

The new version has a different connector and smaller box, which I should really take a photo of one day!

Just remember to open the lid and stand the battery up-right when charging!

lakejumper

Post by lakejumper » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Thanks!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:59 am

19 June 2011 - Lone Ranger

Due to a couple of last minute cancellations, I was fishing alone today. Got up, all excited, coffee, banana, business and ready!

Arrived nice and early and set up, just as the sun was rising...

Yesterday's sunrise was even better, but I didn't take a photo for some reason. Today was calm, with a gentle breeze and the end of an outgoing tide - perfect for my chosen game today!

After a loooong paddle to get to the ground with a couple of small Grouper taking my trolling deep diving Stump Jumper lure, I felt a bigger tug. Up came the first visitor...

He was quickly released - too quick for me to take the photo!

I paddled on for another 30 minutes, then stopped at the first spot and cast out my trusty Halco Scorpion. Second cast...... BANG!!!!

He too was released quickly - I didn't even get a chance to get ready this time! What's with these fish today? Full of energy!

I cast and cast and cast, but no more takers. The tide had turned and was now bringing me back in! I had intended to go further, but left it too late! Spot number two was coming up, so I paddled over and changed to a new bait - Berkley Gulp 7" Shad!! This is a monster!

First cast and I had a strong take, but the fish let go. Second cast - another take and another loss. Third cast...third time LUCKY! BANG!!!! This Tiger Grouper was a good fighter - so good he won first prize (dinner with me and my wife!)

Next cast - BANG!!! Fish on again!! Another Mangrove Jack fought like hell and came up glowing red and angry. Just as I was reaching down to lift him up, he made a last valiant effort and with a splash, was gone! He was going back anyway, but I think the Grouper scared him!

An hour later and I was back where I started. Thought I would have a few last casts, just in case and BANG!!!! Fish on again...

All up, 4 Grouper and 3 Mangrove Jack - Not a bad morning, really!!

YAAAHHHOOOOOO!!!!!!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:26 am

26 June - Good vibrations...

A beautiful start to another beautiful fishing day!

First up was a few of these cheeky snappers..

I then switched to try a few vibrating "blade" lures. These are thin blades of metal, painted, weighted and rigged with a variety of holes for different vibrating effects. They feel great on the end of the line and the fish seem to be attracted, just not big fish!

Maybe if I had bigger blades I could catch bigger fish???

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:50 am

11 July 2011

Sorry to have neglected my posts for a while!

Fishing has been a bit hit and miss lately, but I have been out and about!

Saturday's catch..

My first Parrot on lure..

I lost a BIG Grouper on the same lure when the hook straightened! BUGGER!!

All caught trolling and all released - one prematurely! AAARRRGGHH!!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:00 am

August has come already!!!

After that trip, I was back in UK for my Mum and Dad's 60TH wedding anniversary! They even received a card from the Queen!!!

I had it all planned for a surprise visit with my wife. Haven't been back home for about 7 years and hadn't see my parents for 4 of those! Needless to say, we were all very happy to meet up again! Didn't do any fishing while I was over there, but I seemed to have topped my luck back up again.

On my first trip out, I managed to find a nice Mangrove Jack...

And my first Barramundi of the year! Champion for the day!

On my second trip out, I managed the biggest fish - a Tiger Grouper - of the day...

Merv managed to find a Grouper with eyes bigger than his belly - on the same rubber bait (Berkley Gulp)

To make it a hat-trick, we went out on Saturday and I landed the 3 biggest fish again! Some nice Snappers..

Sorry for smiling so much, but it is nice to catch bigger fish than Merv for a change!!!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:01 am

Quick photo of the sounder mounted at the back of the yak..

sonar

Post by sonar » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:26 am

Another great blogg and pictures.

Question if the sounder did hit the bottom would it flick off and end up over the rear deck.
Or is it well fixed there.

Looking forward to more bloggs.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:05 am

Thanks Sonar. So far, the sounder has stayed in place - even when bashed onto rocks or the beach! It also acts to assist with keeping the yak straight.

sonar

Post by sonar » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:47 pm

I can see how that may asist the Kayak in its tracking mainly at sea with all the swells ect with tides.

I had believe it not thought of the same arrangment to to take a larger skeg
At the time i was thinking about the seas in my area.
High and fast tidal runs and sometimes big waves. The North Sea.

Made a trip in the sea a short while ago and thats when i thought of it.
http://www.advancedelements.com/phpBB2/ ... php?t=1245

A bigger deeper skeg may have been of some help to me.

I was thinking fixed into position with bungee cord say 8mm thick but i would like it to spring back up oto the deck or at least away from the kayak's keel line as i came ashore..

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:03 am

September already!!!!

Where does the time go?

Still managed to get some fishing in over the past few weekends and caught a nice variety of fish!

I've been playing around with artificial baits and micro jigs lately. The micro jigs are only about an inch long and weigh about 5 grams, but some of the guys have had some very big fish on them. I'm still waiting for my biggie, but will keep trying!

Snapper on Berkley Gulp (rubber shrimp)

Snapper on micro jig..

Tuesday was a holiday here in Singapore, so we went fishing!

Champion of the day was Philip with an 8kg Leopard Stingray! He doesn't look too happy about it here because he was exhausted after the fight, but he was beaming from ear to ear once he recovered!

My first Sweetlips -

2kg of Golden Pomfret -

Snapper -

and a small Grouper -

Another trip out this morning gave me my biggest Grouper to date - a 3kg Queensland Grouper!

7+ hours of luring for one Grouper, but it was worth it. Released back to have some babies!

sonar

Post by sonar » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:13 am

Another great set of pictures.
and the adventure will go on for some time yet I hope.

It has now been confirmed that i am living in the wrong part of the world.

I will be starting to fish from My kayak hopefully later in the year.
When it gets dark fast it's windy and very cold.

OH lucky me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: