Pearly's Fishing Adventures 2012! (Updated 10 November 2012)

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:02 am

Had some company today at my new playground........

These two guys were popping and spinning. They could even stand up and cast! Fantastic! It is just a sheet of polystyrene with some poly blocks underneath.

Didn't see if they caught anything tho. I just had 5 juvenile Toman, 2 at this spot, 2 at another and 1 between the two spots! Still can't catch the mama!!!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:53 am

Late Birthday Present - 03 March 2012

OK, so yesterday was my birthday! If I could have gone fishing, I would, but instead I had to wait until today.

I had been arranging with Amir to get out for an early start today, so planned to meet up at 6am. My alarm went off at 5am and I was up in a flash, with coffee on the go. No sooner had I taken a sip, when an SMS came through from Amir - "I'm here already, gonna get some sleep at the petrol station!" I was impressed! This guy is so keen! In reality, he wasn't sure how long it would take him to reach the meeting place, so left in plenty of time.

Anyway, I quickly got ready, loaded up the car and zoomed off. As I reached the meeting point, I slowed down at a couple of petrol stations and saw Amir's car, just starting up. I pulled up, had a quick meet n greet and we were off.

We had a LOT of rain last night and the road down to the pond was flooded! We only just got through!! For a moment, I thought it might be easier to launch from the road and paddle down!

Parked up and got ready in the dark. It was now 6.30am and we lauched in the dark before the dawn. The pond was high and the fish were playing hard to get. I had a couple of takes and then caught 3 juveniles on the same lure.....at the same time! 2 dropped off as they came to the yak and the 3rd was released shortly after.

Amir also had a couple of hits on his fly. Time to change spot.

We paddled over to the other side and caught a few juveniles - me on lures and Amir on fly.

As we moved over to another spot, we could see a few rises of bubbling red babies - the mama must be nearby. Every now and then a large head and dorsal fin would roll over beside the babies.......MAMA IS HERE!!! I cast and cast, changed lures, cast some more, changed again cast some more.......no taker. I changed lure again - this time to a red and white IMA Nabarone. This evoked a chase, but no hit. Time to go big or go home - changed to a big red and white Halco Sorcerer to try some magic. Wait for the rise, Mama comes up, cast right over her, reel in, twitch, twitch, BANG!!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - FISH ON!!!!!

A strong beastie pulled the line off and pulled the kayak around. I played her until she came up, but she went diving down again. This continued a few more times and then I had the net ready. Come on Mama.....come on.........YEAH!!!!! IN THE NET!!!!

The lure fell out in the net!

Happiness is a fish called TOMAN!!! Especially when it is just over 10lbs on the Boga!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sdvhe-K ... e=youtu.be

Cheers!!!!

Ian

AECNATOR

Post by AECNATOR » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:35 pm

Camping here for more Pearly's fishing trip

Thanks mate for making my day :D

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm

AECNATOR wrote:Camping here for more Pearly's fishing trip

Thanks mate for making my day :D
Hey - Welcome back!!

Haven't seen you on here for a while now!

Just got back from Hokkaido - skiing, not fishing though!

Gonna try and get out to a new playground one evening this week! If not, will be on Saturday - Sunday is the Malaysian F1 race....and I have a free ticket!

Cheers,

Ian

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:14 pm

24 March 2012 - Fisshless Paradise!

It just looked so fishy, but alas, apart from a couple of small takes - no fish! No sign of Toman at all, so I don't know what other fish are present - I'm guessing Jungle Perch and Arrowana.

Nice to have had the pleasure of this paddle, but I would have liked to have caught a fish or two!

Cheers,

Ian

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:07 pm

Soggy trip - 31 March 2012

It just started to spit with rain as I finished setting up. As I got down to the water, it was raining......and it didn't really stop!

Couldn't tempt a biggie today, even tho a HUGE Toman came up for air just next to the yak as I was paddling to the next spot!

Landed 3 juvies and this adolescent ....

Cheers!

Ian

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:04 pm

01 April 2012 - April Fool!!

Amir was kind enough to let me fish at his local pond on this trip.

The target was Peacock Bass, with the small hope of catching Toman too. Amir was fly fishing as usual, but we had talked about swapping over, so he could use my light spinning outfit and I could try fly fishing. I haven't used a fly rod for many years, so was a little rusty, to say the least. However, as I started to cast, my thumb started hurting again - I dislocated both thumbs a few weeks ago while skiing in Japan! So I gave up on the flies and went back to my usual.

Amir soon switched back to fly fishing too and soon hooked up his first PB of the day. This was soon followed by another.....and another.....and another....>!!! Whatever I tried to tempt the fish with wasn't working, so I soon paddled off and left Amir to catch his fish!

I paddled back over to the launch site, changed the lure to a Yo-Zuri Crystal Vibe and on the second cast........

FISH ON!!!!! Felt like a good fish and I first thought it was a decent PB, but it soon jumped up and i could see the beauty of Belinda the Belida!!

After a quick operation to extracate the half swallowed lure, she was quickly released. She had been out of the water for just over a minute now and I was keen to get her back in, so didn't take any more photo's though!

Many thanks to Amir for letting me fish at his local pond - and for allowing me to catch my first Belida!! He beat me hands down with his prowess at catching PB's! The PB's made a fool out of me today, but I made up for it with this catch!!

Cheers,

Ian

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:02 pm

08 April 2012

Out on my own again this morning (didn't go out yesterday). Beautiful morning, but I left my camera in the car!

Only had one take and managed to land it....

Back in to join his buddies!

Cheers,

Ian

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Fri May 04, 2012 2:32 am

Sorry that I haven't posted any reports for a few weeks! I'm working in Jakarta for a while, so no fishing for me! This is a crazy, dust, noisy and very busy place. The traffic jams up for hours and a 10 minute journey in the weekend, will take you an hour or more during the week! It is actually faster to walk for 20 minutes than to sit in a cab for the same journey!

I do have a small puncture in the floor to fix when I get back home though. I've been ignoring for a few trips now, but I really will have to stick a patch on it. Happened when I couldn't find one of my lures.......... I was nearly sitting on it! When I got up............ pssssssssssssssss. :oops:

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:51 am

Back on the yak - 15 August 2012

Back home from Jakarta, so decided I needed a much needed break! Got up before the monkeys and was off to my old playground.

No-one else in sight and set up quickly next to the Beast!

Paddled over to the other side and busily cast a variety of plastics toward the banks, under trees, into trees (oops), and across the flat waters. As I paddled into the third small bay, a Toman splashed at my lure - YAAAY!!! There are fish in this place! I cast and cast, changed speed, changed lures, but no more take.

Rumbles in the distance soon became closer and brought my arch-nemesis on my first fishing outing in ages......RAIN!!! I took cover under an overhanging tree and soon realised I wasn’t the only one. I could hear something rummaging around in the jungle nearby and as I sat there, waiting, a grey furry mini monster came into view! It was a wild boar – and not alone! He had brought his girlfriend with him. I caught glimpses of them through the undergrowth about 15 to 20 feet away from me. They had dug into the banks and were happily snorting out roots. I reached down for my camera and slowly raised it. Not slow enough! The big boy saw me and snorted the alarm….and they were gone in a piggy flash! Shortly after this a tiny Kingfisher flew to a nearby branch with a high pitched whistle and a bob of the tail, this fleeting bird was gone again.

Another minute later and the rain eased up, so I eased back out onto the water. As I did, a Hawk Eagle came out from its hiding place and flew round the corner with it bright white rump flashing at me as it powered through the air. AWESOME!

I paddled round the next bay and then round the corner to the last bay, a few Orang Asli houses settled on the far banks and the sound of Gibbons howling in the jungle beyond. I love the sound of Gibbons and longed to be closer to them to see their acrobatics in the branches.
Back to the fishing! I cast in all the likely looking places, but no-one seemed to be home. Still, a beautiful place to be though.

As I paddled back to my starting place, I thought it was worth another try in the bay where I had the splash. First cast…another splash, but no take. Cast again, SPLASH! FISH ON!!! Not a big one, but a fish at least! My first Toman in the new rubber net (thanks Johari) and first on the new lure (thanks Jimmy). Quickly released him after a few photo's to spend some time with his buddies and tell a few stories of his crazy day!

Cheers all and Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri to my friends in Malaysia and Singapore!

Ian

Alex

Post by Alex » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:08 pm

Good to read about your fishing again.
Keep them coming.

Will you be fishing in Rompin this year?

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:50 pm

YEAH!!!

I'm in the first Sailfish from Kayak comp! Might go over a few days earlier for some Toman fishing too!

Alex

Post by Alex » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Good! Looking forward to your report and photos.
A few days head start is always good to check out the weather and water conditions. Best wishes and good luck!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:15 am

BIG APOLOGY for the delay on posting another episode!

I still owe you one for last weekend's Sailfishing, but still waiting for my friend to edit the video!

Today started off on a bad foot, came good and was then downhill from there. Ah, the highs and lows of kayak fishing!

So there was I, last weekend, chatting to a fellow fisho from Singapore as I started to inflate the yak. I have a battery powered pump which speeds the inflation process to about 5 mins. I normally check things carefully as I inflate, but on this occasion, I was busy chatting and forgot something. I inflated the outer chamber, switched to the inner chamber, glanced at the outer valve, but was mid-chat over the noise of the pump.

All ready and away we go - paddling over a large dam near Rompin, which I have wanted to fish since I first visited Rompin, several years ago!

/Image

At the first spot, I saw a ball of young Toman near the weeds. Wait for it.......wait......where is she..............THERE SHE IS!!! The Mama rose up, took a steady gulp of air and sank back down. I cast over the ball, splashed the lure through and BANG!!!! She hit! With a big splash she was down. Deeper, tug, tug, tuuuuuuuuugggg! Solid! A few heavy tugs later and she was lost in the weeds. I moved over to the other side of the weed bed and tried again. Managed to gain some line, but then could see my empty lure.... just as the line broke! One down!

Moving on, the same happened again and again with three more fish! These are big buggers!

It was about this time, I noticed that paddling was getting harder and harder. I looked around me and saw I was actually low down in the kayak, which was now noticeably soft! OH NO!!!! What the.....

I looked around and then saw, to my horror, that the rear valve was OPEN!!! After all these years - I HAVE OVERINFLATED ONE TUBE!!! The day before the first Asia's Kayak Sailfishing competition!!!

I reached back as far as I could and closed the valve. Took out the pump and managed to pump some air in while sittng in the yak.

I was half way across the lake by now, but closer to the far side. So I paddled across, climbed out of my sloppy yak and proceeded to pump her up again. Oh no.... what have I done??

Well, she managed to hold air for a while, but was losing shape by the time I was heading back to the launch spot. I saw a Toman rise, looked how far I was from the shore, looked how soggy my yak was and cast out again. Close to the reeds, splashing away....BANG!!!! The beast took it..... straight into a sunken tree!

Lost again.... time to give up and review the damage!

I had split the seam to the inner tube, just as it joins the outer tube. Not a big split, but I was wondering how much other damage I had done! Out with the Tear-Aid, cleaned up the area, patched her up, pressed it all down, said a little prayer and put her back together.

Nothing else for it - time to eat the Durian I had found earlier!

She stayed up for the Sailfishing, so that prayer was answered... more on that later.

So.... Back to today!

There I was pumping up, checking valves, and listening.......to a small. constant.....hisssssssssssssssss! Not good me thinks!

Anyway, got onto the water and she was already not as firm as I had started out!

Amir was first in, with his lucky White Clouser fly and a lively Peacock Bass.

As we fished around, a small boat came closer and fished along side. The two fishos were casting small lures and one managed to catch a Peacock Bass, a little smaller than Amir's.

Amir was in again with his second PB of the day. A while later, I looked across as a splash came up behind Amir. The fisho cast and was straight into a BIG fish. As the fish jumped, I thought it was a big PB, but the boatman shouted HARUAN!! If this was a Haruan, it was a MONSTER!! As it came up to the boat, we were looking into the sun, so just saw the shadow of a big fish being lifted up.

I changed back to a buzz-bait, cast toward the island, over a floating log. As I flipped the lure over the log, a BEAST came up and grabbed it. Line tight, STRIKE.....FISH ON!!!!!

I managed to bring her away from the sunken logs and other rubbish and she came closer. I reached for the big rubber net, scooped under my line, lifted the rod........GOTCHA!!!!!

A quick, shakey video of the release...

http://youtu.be/VCreIYwxctI

YAHOOOO!!

The yak was getting really soft by now, so I paddled back to shore to re-inflate. I had to do this once an hour for the next 3 hours and eventually decided that enough was enough.

Paddling back was hard, so I pumped a bit more air in while in the middle of the lake!

Going to try one more repair, but I fear the end is near. I have had a LOT of use from this yak with trips out almost every weekend for the past 3 and a half years. Hardly ever wash her, always out in the hot sun and generally used her as though she was a hard-shell! I love this yak!!

I am thinking, when the time comes, to give her a Viking burial!

Thanks again Amir! You are my lucky charm!

Cheers,

Ian

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:55 pm

Ian,

You never failed to amaze me.
Pump up every hour for the next 3 hours?
I would have given up on the first discovery of a leak.

Well, good news is, the inner tube can be easily replaced and your old faithful will be good as new.

Regards,
Alex