Rudder kit or home made for AF Expedition?

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

STLPilot

Rudder kit or home made for AF Expedition?

Post by STLPilot » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:17 pm

Can anyone help me find a rudder for the AF Expedition. Anything at all, another mftg or modified with kit or even a self made with accessible parts. Or maybe a skeg ... but steerable mod?

Also ... must have a rudder ... no other options for conditions im paddling.

Any help appreciated.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:21 am

I haven't done this with my kayak, because I don't feel the need, but if I did, I think that I could probably make something like this universal kayak rudder fit.

http://www.amazon.com/Trucourse-tm-Univ ... yak+rudder

You would just need to mount a flat aluminum plate onto the top of the existing aluminum rib, through that outer cover of the Expedition. This plate would be the same size as the mounting plate for the rudder, and it would have the required mounting holes in it.

Of course, you will have to put up with the extra work of removing the rudder mounting plate any time you wanted to disassemble the kayak, and there's also the issue of the hard plastic form that slides into the pocket but you could cut a slot down the middle of that plastic form to clear the bolts holding the aluminum mounting plate to the rib.

It sounds possible, but there are downsides too, so I think that this would have to be something you simply could not do without.