Paddling alongside a hardbody kayak

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Sacto

Post by Sacto » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:38 pm

I recently purchased an AE Expedition kayak and a backbone.

I have not yet installed the backbone. I found that when I am paddling alongside a hardbody kayak, I must paddle faster and harder to keep up. The Expedition does not glide as well as a hardbody.

If I install the backbone will it give me a gain in glide that will allow me to keep up with the hardbody kayak?

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:58 pm

Definitely improves the glide!.
The V-hull shape created produces dynamic lift , the tracking
and therefore forward instead of sideways during paddles strokes and will thus also benefit all round performance, speed and directional stability .
Make sure to check that your tube pressure are correct too , you will then float higher with less drag .

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:35 pm

You'll never find an inflatable kayak that can keep up with a hard kayak of equal length with equal effort. It's apples and oranges.

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:22 pm

Agree with you on that one!!
Thats not why people buy inflatables ..

Windnut

Post by Windnut » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:54 pm

The glide and speed and tracking are better with the backbone but it does take a little longer to set up but I think it's well worth the effort. I use the backbone all the time in my Expedition and find that the speed isn't too bad at all. I think it depends on what type of hard shell kayaks your comparing to because there is a big difference between them also. The friends I've paddled with have 14.5 foot Delta's which I have no trouble keeping up with but a longer high performance boat is going to leave me in it's wake. My normal average speed is about 3.6 mph by gps which isn't too bad.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:40 pm

I find my 13 foot Expedition can keep up with a 12 foot hardshell with no problem. When my friends are in sea kayaks, they can scoot ahead with their longer hardshell boats. I'm not so slow that it bugs me, though.
The Expedition is about stability and recreational paddling. It's not for racing! and I get out in my boat so much more often, and in so many more places, than my friends do in their sea kayaks.

Windnut

Post by Windnut » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:00 pm

The one thing that the Expedition wins at is versatility. It may not be as fast as a long hard shell but it can go to a lot more places and therefore gets used a lot more. I use mine all year long in fact I was out a couple of days ago in the river estuary even though the shoreline was covered with ice and had a good paddle. With the great stability I do a lot of fishing in flat water up to 3 or 4 foot waves without any worries. That would be hard to do in a hard shell without getting wet. A couple of weeks ago I caught and released a 15 pound ling cod and a couple of rock fish and had a great time which is what really counts. The only time the speed mattered was when I had to paddle a couple miles back against the tide. So the Expedition is a winner.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:14 am

Great comments! As it has been stated, if you are paddling with hard shell kayakers and they are in a kayak of equal or less length and width, you should be able to paddle right along side them. If you are paddling with kayakers that are in 16-17 foot sea kayaks, you are going to have a tough time keeping up. The Backbone will definitely add the extra umph you are seeking.
I have raced this model against many hardshells of all different sizes and lengths. The only ones I cannot beat are the sea kayaks and the surf skis. Last time I raced in this kayak, I placed 60 out of 700. The majority being hardshells. I also do not paddle on a regular basis and do not train hard at all.
So as you will see, you will get better performance with the backbone but if you are paddling with longer skinnier kayaks, you will need to lower your expectations just a little.

Sacto

Post by Sacto » Fri May 08, 2015 4:45 pm

It's been a while since I posted here but I wanted to take a moment to revisit my original concern about paddling alongside a hardbody in my Expedition and keeping up with the hardbody. Without the backbone, I found that I was putting a lot of additional energy in each paddle stroke trying to keep my kayak on as straight a course as possible. This wasn't a terrible inconvenience but it was necessary in order to keep up with the hardbody kayak I was with.

I eventually installed the backbone and the difference is like night and day. My expedition was a great kayak before but now it's even better. Now the tracking is so improved that I can paddle in a much more relaxed mode and cover much more distance at the same time. I never planned to race other kayaks and am not concerned with their speed, I'm more concerned with simply keeping up if I'm in a group. Problem solved!

Now I can continue to enjoy my solo trips and I can join in on group trips without any concerns. BTW, this kayak is so bouyant and stable that I at 6'2" and 200 pounds can load it with camping gear and take multi day solo camping trips without any issues. I plan to have many years of use with my Expedition and I look forward to taking it many places.

Sacto

Post by Sacto » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:24 am

Sacto

http://postimg.org/image/5hvjcie1j/

Post by Sacto » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:49 am

Here is the list I created to pack my kayak for camping. Weigh distribution was a consideration as well as keeping like items together if possible e.g. cooking gear and clothing. I travel very light.

http://postimg.org/image/5hvjcie1j/

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:20 pm

Great list! I like the colour coding, so we can see what was in each bag.