eskimo roll

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

jimmyjock

eskimo roll

Post by jimmyjock » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:41 am

Hi there,
just recently purchased ae expedition,find it just as good as my convertible only lighter,what I really want to know is there anybody out there that can roll won of these,I struggle to get mine to tip and almost impossible to roll,could be I need a lot more practice.

PJohanson

hard to roll

Post by PJohanson » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:52 pm

My friend has an AdvancedFrame and an Expedition and can't roll either of them. I can't roll my Dragonfly.
We can tip over in them if we try real hard -- you can see photos of me in the photo gallery practising falling out and climbing back in, at a lake.
Someone who is really good at rolling a hardshell kayak may be able to learn to roll an Expedition. But don't count on it.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:55 am

Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di66XXETLeA

It is an Advanced Frame so it is 2.5' shorter than the expedition, but it can be done. It is hard to roll Inflatable kayaks. It take quite a bit of core strength.

Jeremy
8)

jimmyjock

Post by jimmyjock » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:29 am

He made that look very easy,good video though,didn't realise there were so many other video's on this site regarding AE kayaks thanks again for the intrest.
Jimmyjock.

raw10128

why?

Post by raw10128 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:13 pm

why would one want to be able to roll the expedition. am i missing something.

jimmyjock

Post by jimmyjock » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:54 am

It would be nice if one could pop the boat up after an ocean knockdown instead off my usual bottom drag over the bow, maybe you have alternative method off getting back in,like to hear it.
Jimmyjock

PJohanson

technique

Post by PJohanson » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:36 am

Techniques for self-recovery usually involve struggling like a hooked fish and have the (un)pleasant side effect of mooning anyone nearby with a camera.
There are photos to prove it, alas. ;-)
I just crawl in over the side of the Dragonfly and get lots of water in, or over the bow and get some in.
If someone else is there to assist, you can try a scoop recovery:
Your friend holds your boat on its side, you put one hand on the upper side, slide your legs and butt into the cockpit, and your friend rolls your boat onto its hull. Great with a hardshell kayak, with a big friend and a little me. Still working on the 'side' part in the inflatable.

For rolling techniques, do an Internet search on Dubside. He can roll in all kinds of ways, with or without a paddle, one-armed, leaning back or forward. He went to the Inuit Games up north and wowed them all. When Eskimos say he does Eskimo rolls well, you know he's an expert.

rainking63

Post by rainking63 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:06 pm

Yes, Dubside is a magician when it comes to rolling. Check out the vids on YouTube of him rolling with a bowling ball, and rolling with a lit candle and KEEPING IT LIT! Pretty unbelievable. And to boot, he uses a folding kayak.

jimmyjock

Post by jimmyjock » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:54 am

I agree, incredible, check the spacial awareness exercises he practices, he is also very fit, intresting choice of kayak.
Jimmyjock.