AE1009-XE Expedition Velcro Misaligned

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Zak

AE1009-XE Expedition Velcro Misaligned

Post by Zak » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:49 am

Should I ask for some velcro self repair kit from Advanced Elements (or discount or replacement) as I found some velcro alignment issue with my kayak?

Anyone experienced the same issue?

YouTube Video here:
http://youtu.be/Tz9c6aVR2xo

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Post by rlpugh1 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:58 am

Watched the video and have to say that it's too hard to tell exactly what's going on because you never fully inflate the kayak. Since all of the kayaks are hand made, the Velcro does not always fully line up even, edge to edge. This is why the Velcro strips are so large, so that they can align on their own within a tolerance. That is not to say that the Velcro on your kayak was not sewn out of alignment with where it should be, but that is very rarely seen. So, the first thing to do would be to separate all of the Velcro patches in-between the outer cover and the grey tube cover and then place a sheet of paper in-between each section. Then, inflate the kayak and let it naturally fill out free of the Velcro. Then pull out the sheets of paper and attach the Velcro where it lines up. Then we can analyze what is going on with the Velcro or if it is an issue. For more in-depth support, please contact Customer Service at info@advancedelements.com.

Zak

Post by Zak » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Great idea rlpugh1!
Follow up update to follow tonight.
Thanks.

Zak

Found some time and done it properly.

Post by Zak » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Sorry for the late reply.
Here is the follow-up video:
https://youtu.be/RzodRvpwZjQ

It turned out the Velcro misalignment is even more than what I was thinking.
:roll:

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Post by rlpugh1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:28 pm

Hey Zak,

Ok, so I saw the video, as well as the others that you posted to Youtube of the kayak fully inflated and being paddled out on the water. It looks like the boat is setting up perfectly and it looks really great on the water!

It should be noted that the Velcro is not meant to be a component of form, function or performance of the kayak. It is simply there to help keep the tubes from randomly "flopping" around inside of the kayak's outer shell when the boat is deflated and being packed away or set up. In other words, the Velcro is really meant just to assist with ease of set up by helping to keep the tubes in place within the kayak's outer shell.

By the looks of your other videos, I'd say that your kayak is filling out and setting up perfectly, as well as performing nicely on the water.

Zak

Post by Zak » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:40 pm

Hey rlpugh1,

You're right, I don't think the kayak's performance is affected in any way, just that I'm a bit slow when inflating, because my tubes just randomly "flopp" around inside of the kayak's outer shell when my boat is deflated and being packed away because my velcro isn't positioned well. Not a big deal, just me expecting perfection from an imperfect world.