Question about expedition inflation with pics

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

DonSorsa

Question about expedition inflation with pics

Post by DonSorsa » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi, new expedition owner here. Not sure if I'm fully inflating the kayak or not. Can you give me advice or tips based on these photos? Thanks. Image

https://donsorsa.smugmug.com/Sports/Kayak

Thanks. Not sure if I've posted this correctly. [/quote]

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:22 am

It is hard to tell if you are showing just the bottom of the kayak.
Flip it over. Pick it up from either end. If it bends, you need more air in the main chamber. If it doesn't bend, you are good to go. Make sure for the floor you add only 1 psi. You can tell by applying moderate pressure to the floor with one finger. If you can touch the bottom, you should be good. If it is hard, you have too much air. If it feels really soft then you do not have enough.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Something I learned as a user is that the outer hull of these kayaks is NOT stretched tight when the inflatable part is properly filled. These photos could be showing a kayak that has enough air, or one that needs a little more.

Like jcooley says, if the kayak bends when you pick up one end, it needs a little more air. I don't mind paddling a Lagoon that's 90% full, but an Expedition really is a nicer ride when it's close to full.

And that outer hull is a little loose, and that's okay. It means I can get in, take off my sandals, and slip them under the deck just outside the deck lifters. No lost sandals even if I do safety practise with friends and it's my turn to flip over.

DonSorsa

Post by DonSorsa » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks, JCooley and PJohansen. The many comments you both have made in this forum have been very helpful. I had been looking for a taut, tight deck and bottom but now I'll just pay attention to the middle bending.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:20 pm

Sounds good!
And if the slight looseness of the outer cover bothers you, try what I've done -- tuck your sandals between the deck and the big inflation tube.
Or, I often tuck my bilge pump there, with the little inflated deck lifter keeping the pump from falling onto my lower leg. That placing keeps the pump snug and ready for use but not on top of the deck.