Yearly differences b/w models?

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

DrKai

Yearly differences b/w models?

Post by DrKai » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:00 pm

I'm new to the sport (or will be next year), as I have decided to purchase an Expedition before paddling season starts again after winter. Are there any differences between the models on a yearly basis? Or has the design remained unchanged since originally released?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:57 pm

The Expedition model has been the same as of 2007

Jeremy
8)

SF48

Post by SF48 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:21 pm

In 2006 the Expedition was called the Ultralite Expedition, because it had a lightweight main air tube. There were issues with the material of the air tube, so then they brought out the regular Expedition and changed the color of the boat from red to yellow.

mad dawg

pre-2006 Ultra-lite

Post by mad dawg » Sat May 25, 2013 12:26 pm

I am looking at purchasing a used AE Expedition - the box lists the weight as 38 lbs rather than the current 42 lbs. Is this likely to have the issues with the main air chambers? Is there an easy way to tell? thanks.

Bojan_cro

Post by Bojan_cro » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:04 pm

SF48 wrote:In 2006 the Expedition was called the Ultralite Expedition, because it had a lightweight main air tube. There were issues with the material of the air tube, so then they brought out the regular Expedition and changed the color of the boat from red to yellow.
When I requested an offer on Expedition and some kayak equipment from a web store, they answered me they only have kayak in red/orange color.

Can anybody from AE confirm that there was no Expedition kayaks produced in that color since the Ultralite Expedition model?

What about European market?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:25 am

The USA market has only been the Yellow version since 2007 and is now moving over to a light blue. It will show on the website toward the end of the year.

The European market has been the red/orange color. It is the exact same kayak as the yellow, just in the red/orange. It too will move over to the light blue for next year.

Best thing to do when buying a used kayak is to get the Hull ID number off of the kayak. That will tell us what model and when it was produced.

nadtom

Post by nadtom » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:10 pm

The blue version of kayak's are already available in Europe. I have bought a Airframe and a Airtraveller (Expedition) in light blue color.
The Airtraveler has a little bit modified to Expedition e.g. "Cargo Hatch" and seat.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:24 pm

The Blue expedition was just a limited edition model for this year. It will be the only color choice in 2016. The deck material will be the ripstop as in the yellow. The limited Edition does not have the ripstop.

nadtom

Post by nadtom » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:02 pm

I've completely lost the thread...:-)
On the German site is written: Deck has made from blue RIPSTOP.
http://www.advancedelements.de/advanced ... ements.php

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:13 pm

I see.
These are special versions we did for that company in Germany only.
The Blue is darker than what is on the 2016 AE version
It does have Ripstop like the 2016 AE version.
Graphics are different than the 2016 AE version
Seating is different than in the 2016 AE version

nadtom

Post by nadtom » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:23 pm

Why do you make so many different version for different countries/dealers?
E.g. I have seen at airkayaks.com a nice Frame XL version but it's only available at airkayaks.com so not in Europe.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:41 pm

We have special relationships with different companies around the world. These companies like to have product that is branded for them and gears more towards their demographic. There are only a few. They like to offer something a little different based on feedback they get from their customers. These companies pay to have these special version done for them and they need to order a large quantity to do so. Once a special version is done though, another company cannot carry the same product because it is branded only for one company. I hope that makes sense. If you need better clarification, I would be happy to get it.

nadtom

Post by nadtom » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:51 pm

Thank you for your explanation.

Bojan_cro

Post by Bojan_cro » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:23 am

JCOOLEY wrote:The USA market has only been the Yellow version since 2007 and is now moving over to a light blue. It will show on the website toward the end of the year.

The European market has been the red/orange color. It is the exact same kayak as the yellow, just in the red/orange. It too will move over to the light blue for next year.

Best thing to do when buying a used kayak is to get the Hull ID number off of the kayak. That will tell us what model and when it was produced.
Thank you for info. I'm buying a new kayak and supllier has ordered a yellow one, so now I'm waiting :-)

I have one more question though.. I have noticed that there was a change in seat design on Expedition - in what year did you make a change? I suppose both are high lumbar type, but newer one seems higher..

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:33 am

2014 introduced the newer seat with a slightly higher back