Fishing set-up (Updated 08th Jan 2011)

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Lure_Angler

Post by Lure_Angler » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:57 am

Hey guys,

I am having trouble with one seller on ebay that I have just escalated it to a claim.

I will be writing a FULL REVIEW, whether its his fault or my dumbness, to warn people away from buying kayaks ( i can't speak for the other products he sells) from him.

Air kayaks is the place to buy. A bit expensive BUT if you utilize your Skill of Bargaining that's in born in every Singaporean, one might just reap something good. Its not a local dealer (US dealer) I bought from, Pearly, its just vPost that really helped me with the shipping. How much did you pay for shipping? there's no singapore dealer to date.

Suntan, yes, I fish, lure fishing primarily, CnR. I have stopped for some time because i dive and I prefer to see marine life in their natural habitat, even in P.hantu. You'll be surprised what you can see.

Because of the gear I'm carrying (estimated over 35 kg) up the Highland lakes of Tas, I'll be giving handline and lures a go at the trout, salmon and whatever that's there. Wish me luck. Cannot really afford to carry anymore, especially when you can't drive and everything's on your back. Any tips on fishing for trout and salmon in winter? =)

Yes, lets set up to go kayaking/fishing together. after 4 June perhaps, when I'm back from Oz.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:54 pm

You're gonna scream the same as I did! A retailer has just arrived at Singapore!!! Just had their launch at the boatshow last weekend!!!

http://www.activesports.com.sg/index.html

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Lure_Angler

Post by Lure_Angler » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:01 pm

Haha....

Ok la. My own package including paddle and pump is 30 dollars less than their advertised package.

Haha. Wonder what's their profit margins like.

Lure_Angler

Post by Lure_Angler » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:04 pm

oh...their promotion price is cheap!

haha...dang!

Suntan

Post by Suntan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:43 pm

Iâ€￾ m guessing they can give a better price at boat show because of the bulk order on shipping

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sat May 02, 2009 10:33 pm

Latest adventure was on 1st/2nd May

Met up early on Friday at Punggol jetty with a friend from another forum. Managed to get set up and on the water just as the sun was coming up at 7am. We decided to try the area outside Pulau Timor and Pulau Barat. After trolling lures dropping some dead prawns down occasionally and trolling again, we only had one take for the morning!

This one decided to act like he was going to be patient, but as I lowered my hand to release him, he flipped up and into the water before I could take a photo!

After a more trolling, the length of Pulau Barat, we decided to paddle back to base and call it a day. Got back at 12pm.

Back up early the next morning and back to Punggol jetty! Set off straight to Ubin and saw this fella foraging on the beach..

He was the only wild boar out today. We saw about 10 last week! He didn't let me get very close before he went back into the woods.

I paddled down the coast of Ubin down to Pulau Ketam. The area on the East of Ketam is quite shallow and you have to go at least 100m out to get to 10ft depth.

As I came around the back of Ketam, I was greeted by a speedboat and wakeboarders! This made it quite choppy in an area supposed to be dead calm! I was still able to cast lures and troll around inbetween the speedboat passes, so it didn't bother me too much. They seemed to be enjoying themselves and did apologise to me for the rollers. This girl was quite cute too, so I didn't mind!

Only had one take around this rock in the middle of the channel between Ketam and Ubin, but didn't hook up.

So, now it was around 11am and I was supposed to be back at 1pm - I knew I was going to be late already! It had taken 1.5hrs to paddle down to Ketam - with the current! Now, the current was against me and the wind had picked up.

I stopped for a short break before paddling back.

Base looked a loooong way away! If you look closely, you might just be able to pick out Punggol Jetty on the extreme right!

I decided to go straight across to Coney Island from here as the wind was picking up. After hard paddling, it only took 15 minutes to get back to Coney! I trried some more luring around Coney, but the area was covered in Bubu (fish traps) and crab pots. So feeling tired, I paddled back - a little later than I anticipated.

I only had hard and soft lures with me today, so was mostly trolling with a bit of jigging thrown in to experiment. This experiment failed though. We did notice a LOT of jellyfish in the water - maybe they affect the fishing?

My shoulders are acheing now just typing, so I'm NOT paddling today!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun May 03, 2009 6:54 pm

Saturday's route..

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sat May 09, 2009 8:13 am

I woke up to thunder and lightning. Mmmmm, that doesn't sound good, me thinks. Just hope it stops before morning.

5 minutes later, my alarm went off! Oh pooh! Time to get up and the thunder is louder than ever, with the room lighting up every few seconds! Perfect!!

So I dragged my sorry a$$ outa bed and put the kettle on. Watched the fireworks outside and noticed the thunder subsiding. Supposed to be good barramundi hunting after the rain, isn't it?

The rain started to fade, along with the thunder - things might not be too bad after all. So, coffee and breakfast dealt with, off I go to Yishun Dam. Arrived to sunrise at low tide.

Set off to some promising looking trees, lures ready to go. As I got nearer, the water got shallower. I tried trolling along the edge, but no takers, so I went out to an old kelong at the back of Pulau Seletar.

Close to Malaysia at this point..

Lots of fish showing on the finder, but they all seemed to be Selar and Tamban - they had no hesitation in jumping onto the tamban hooks. Popped quite a few into the bait tube for later. Fist time I've used the tube and it worked a treat! The fish were all still alive and kicking when I got back to shore 4 hours later!

After this, I went West of Seletar and into the mangroves.

If you look carefully, below the sign, you'll see a monitor lizard sunbathing on the rock!

Fisho's always find a way in.

It looked really fishy, but I couldn't tempt the fish! Tried various lures, cast in amongst the trees, but to no avail. Dunno if the water-skiers disturb the area too much. At one point there were 8 boats around me! Rock n Roll!!!

Hope you enjoyed the journey.

Might try again.... one day!

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Wed May 13, 2009 2:23 pm

Nice pics. Looks like alot of fun!

AECNATOR

Post by AECNATOR » Thu May 14, 2009 8:20 am

Would love to join you on your fishing trip once i get hold on my AEC :wink:

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Mon May 18, 2009 7:31 pm

Saturday 17 May
Tide: falling to low and then rising
Time: 7am to 12:30pm

Well, we did go there, but found nets - everywhere! There's hardly a clean stretch without a net on it!

The coast guard came over to see us after about an hour, just to see what we were up to. He greeted me with a big friendly "Good Morning!". Once he was happy that we were just fishing and had all our safety equipment, they wished us luck and left us to get on with it. No biggies for us tho, but quite a nice paddle round.

TeamTribal on his yak – taking a photo of me taking a photo of him taking a photo of me taking a photo of…….

Small Selar, Tamban and a very small Spanish Mackerel were all we could catch!

TeamTribal’s such a nice guy! Shame he’s leaving for Oz soon!

Sunday 18 May
Tide: falling to low and then rising
Time: 7am to 12:30pm

TT was a little late arriving, so I took a photo of the sunrise while I was waiting.

As we set off on our journey, the sky was looking real pretty!

Trolling a Stump Jumper produced the first small grouper – CnR

We then tried a bit of bottom fishing. All was quiet….until I looked up and saw TT’s rod bent over and he was moving away from me!

Whatever it was, was BIG!

After being towed for a good 50 meters or so, it stopped and decided it wasn’t going any further. We think it must have been a big ray that just decided it was going to suck onto the sea-bed and not budge.

He tried to tug it off the floor, but it wasn’t moving. I tried to get a lure retriever on the line to give it some extra pulling power, but the line snapped as I was attaching the retriever! SORRY TT!! Still can’t forgive myself.

After this, we trolled some more with only a smaller grouper to show.

I did get a take on a surface lure, but it spat the hook. I then had a good sized fish follow the lure to the yak but turned off in a big swirl just 6 feet from me! Couldn’t tell what it was, but it was a good 3 feet long!

We then proceeded to the very tip of Singapore before heading back. The water at this point is very choppy with a distinct line between the blue/green water of the East and the the yucky brown water of the Changi side.

Time was against us now and we had to head back to base, tired but happy with the trip – just me feeling sorry for losing TT’s fish!

Maybe this weekend will be lucky for us?

Cheers,

Ian

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sat May 23, 2009 8:38 am

Saturday 23rd May

WOW – What a fantastic morning!

Arrived at the launch site at 6.20am. Not a breath of wind and a clear sky was there to greet us – on the smelly mud flats!

We set up quickly and off we went.

The sun was just stretching its arms and glowing a fiery red, over the heads of some cast-netters. Even TT looked nice today!

The water was like glass, so paddling was real easy.

As we got to the mangroves, some big splashes greeted us and got our pulses racing. So we drifted and cast lures into the small spaces around the trees. Over and over, but no takes. We decided to change spot, so I trolled a Yozuri Crystal Minnow behind. I’ve had this lure for about 6 years now, and used it only two or three times! Still got the original hooks on it!! Must change those now as they are looking a little old!

After a short troll, I had a big take – FISH ON!!!! Oooooooooo BIG FISH, BIG FISH!! The yak was turning with the fish – this was a strong fish! Not a violent fight, just powerful. As it came closer to the yak I saw it – a BIG CAT!! It turned beside me and headed down again. My drag was letting it take some line, but still with good control. Turned it around and it came up again….and down again…..up again…..down again. Finally it came up smiling. Actually I don’t know who had the biggest smile, me or the fish!

2.5kg safely on board, hooks released, wiped the slime off the lure and back to business. No more than 10 minutes after hooking this one and I felt another good tug! Line started to peel off and the rod was bouncing. FISH ON!!!! BIG FISH…BIG FISH!!! Woooohooooo!!!

This one felt totally different, much more of a fighter. After playing the fish for a while, she showed her true colours – IT’S A KIM!!!! IT’S A KIM!!!!! ("Kim Bak Lor" is Chinese for Barramundi!) Now my heart was pounding, pulse racing, check the drag, play it, play it, keep the tension. More line goes off and then she comes up again, surrendering. Out with the lip grip, careful, careful, open your mouth…………YAAAHHHHHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Sorry guys, this one didn’t go back! My first Kim and I’m gonna keep her!

After this, I paddled down another river and saw an Osprey sitting at the top of a tree – too far for a foto though, sorry. Another 10 minutes after this, on the way back out the river, a family of Otters was looking at me! These are the first wild Otters I’ve seen in my life and I was so awestruck, I didn’t even take a photo! They looked at me and then went whistling off into the mangroves. I am humbled and honoured to be in such a fantastic place.

NewYakkerinNY

Post by NewYakkerinNY » Wed May 27, 2009 6:18 am

This thread alone has solidified for me that I am making the right choice with the Expedition...

Hi! I am from Long Island NY and was looking for an angler kayak, but have no storage space for a hard shell. Then I started looking for a 'hybrid' kayak that would fit my relatively larger form (6' tall and 265 lbs) .. and then I find you making these WONDERFUL accessories to fish with. I am completeing a purchase from Air Kayak in the next few days, and boy am I excited. I have had and Airhead TK-1 for the past 3 years and for lake fishing and bouncing around it is great. I just think it's time to get a step up and start kayaking the bays near my home..

Thanks for a great thread.. I didn't see if there were directions to build the holder and fish finder support but maybe if you have them you could send them or post them?

Tom

Ryno

Post by Ryno » Wed May 27, 2009 12:40 pm

This thread is great! I really enjoyed taking a 20 minute break from work to read it.

Keep the stories coming! Your pictures and commentary to go along with it are wonderul.

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Wed May 27, 2009 4:10 pm

Awesome thread!