Fishing set-up (Updated 08th Jan 2011)

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Alex

Sorry, no water activities on one's own

Post by Alex » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:50 am

Sorry, no water activities (kayaking) on one's own

Hey Ian,
I guess the authorities has the last word now.

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Sto ... 68945.html

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:50 pm

Alex, this only applies for the fresh water kayaking!

PUB have no jurisdiction in the sea. Having said that, it is always safer to be out with a buddy, just in case something goes wrong.

trev007

Post by trev007 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:54 am

Hey Pearly, its been a while since your last post, hows it all going??

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:59 am

S-l-o-w-l-y! The fishing has dropped off lately. The water temp is quite a bit lower since the monsoon rains started.

I'm now nursing a stinking cold, so hope I can get out this weekend!

If I can, I'll just have to hope that Santa has brought some more fish!

Merry Christmas!!

Ian

trev007

Post by trev007 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:25 pm

Good to hear you are still getting out and about, shame about the cold..always crappy. I took the AEC for its maden voyage today, funnily enough I was thinking about you and how fit you must me, I was out for 2 hours and was knackered when I got back...

I`ll chuck some pics up soon..

Have a great christmas

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:09 am

Kayak Fishing - 27 Dec 09 - The Revenge of the Fish!

Sorry it's been a while since I posted a CR! The catches haven't been too good lately and I haven't been able to get out as much as I would like.

I was supposed to be out yesterday, but I've had such an awful cold, I thought I'd better rest for another day. Managed to get to bed relatively early last night and woke up at 4am after a restless night. Dragged myself out of bed and put the kettle on ready for the first caffeine injection.

The coffee kicked in and I was off fishing - yippee!

Met up with Mervin and Mathew, just after 5am and went down to the launch site. It's been a while since we have fished here and we were looking forward to the potential sport ahead. The first spots were disappointing though! Not a single bite from lures or bait in 2 hours!

We were beginning to have a sinking feeling that this was unlikely to be a successful hunt. Off to the second location.

Mathew was first at the spot and he was looking left, right, back, and front to get his bearings. Mathew doesn't have a fish-finder, but on his first drop, proved he didn't need one - FISH ON!! His rod bent down and line peeled out. Out of the depths shot a Giant Herring. This one put on a few acrobatic displays for us and a cheer rang out as Mathew brought the fish to the side of his kayak. He quickly released the fish and was off in search of more fun. Finally, we've seen a decent fish!

As Merv and I moved into position, Mathew was in again! This looked like a good fighter and we were torn between Ang Cho and Chermin. As the fight went on, Mathew was being towed out. As a silver diamond came to the surface, the triumphant Mathew held up his belated Christmas present - a good sized Chermin.

Mervin was next in with a nice Ang Cho. I followed a while later with a smaller one. As I dropped it back into the water, I was wondering if that old saying about putting an Ang Co back was true. Apparently it is, as we had no more fish from this spot!

Mathew had to leave around 10am, so Merv and I carried on a while longer. We moved on to try another spot, but the fish finders were empty when we got there. I thought I'd have a few casts to see if anything was around and as the lure hit the water, within a second or two, the line was tight and zooming off. Up shot a Herring. Most of the time, the Herring will throw the lure after the initial jump, but this one stayed on to jump some more. At one stage, it jumped right over the kayak and had me juggling the rod to make sure it stayed on!

As it started to swim in ever decreasing circles, the time had come to lift the fish. I got the grip ready, but the fish had somehow hooked his top and bottom lip, so I would have to pull him out by hand.

As I reached down, he looked at me with a menacing look in his eye as if to say...."This is gonna hurt!" With that, he gave a big kick with his tail, thrashed around a bit and then I swear I could see him smile. A sharp pain now began to be evident in my thumb as the fish sat there, triumphant. Now, one hook was in the fish and the other was impaled deep into my thumb!

The fish was not hooked as deep as I was, so I grabbed the pliers and held the hook. With a quick flick, the sadistic Herring dropped back into the water. He paused for a while, smiled and then powered back off into the depths, leaving me with a new piercing!

I looked across at Mervin who had anchored near the original spot, but the wind had taken me far away by now. I looked at my thumb and looked back at Mervin. What the hell am I gonna do now? I was thinking of cutting the hook and suffering until I got to hospital, but it soon became evident that it was going to be painful to try and cut the hook! I remembered a posting on a forum about hook removal and saw I had three options. The first was to leave it there and take the whole lot to hospital. Looking at where I was, the thought of paddling back with this thing in my thumb was not an option.

The next was to bring the hook out by passing it through the skin - but that still meant cutting the hook. So my only other option was to push the hook back, opposite the barb and pull it out. I took the third option, squeezed my thumb as hard as I could and twisted the hook out. Needless to say IT HURT!!!!

After that little episode, we fished for another hour or so and called it a day.

Great to be out again and another successful mission - even if it was a little painful!

Thanks again to Merv & Mathew!

Cheers,

Ian

Alex

Father & Son Expedition II

Post by Alex » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:17 am

Hey Ian,

Sorry to hear about your punctured thumb, don't worry it will be back in shape in a couple of days. :)

I was out on Sunday too, but much later, at 3.30pm.

Checkout the expedtion report, on the AE Expedition again: :lol:
http://www.fishingnewsroom.com/viewtopi ... 60#p212360

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:47 am

Hey Ian,

Not sure if you have seen this before.
But after losing the last big one and watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGCcRl_MIJE

Kinda makes me wonder what am I gonna do if I do hook one of this on the AE Expedition. Follow it out to sea?

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:36 am

I certainly wouldn't be hanging my leg over the side of the yak!!

:shock:

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:14 am

Kayak Fishing – 03 Jan 10 – Sentosa

This was our Happy New Year fishing trip – the first for 2010!

The yakkers today were Merv, Mathew, Richard and me. We had to meet up early, at 6am, so we could be on the water for the low tide at 6:30 – just as it was starting to get light. This gave us enough time to get to the channel before the currents picked up. Last time we did this trip, the confluence of the currents were causing deep swells – we couldn’t see over the top of the swells as we struggled through. The waves were just forming as we got there, so it was easier this time.

As we neared Pulau Tekukor, we decided to keep to the leeward side, away from the wind and waves. We got ready for fishing and set off on the hunt. Mathew the human fishfinder was first in again, with a nice Grouper attached to his lure.

I was suitably impressed that he managed to hook into this fish as the weeds are long and deep in this area. I decided to fish along the outer edge of the weedbed with the other guys fishing inside. As soon as the fishfinder started luring again, he was into ANOTHER Grouper!! I think this was the twin of the first one!

The rest of us carried on fishing, desperately trying to catch up with Mathew’s current tally, but we were no so fortunate! Merv and Richard managed to get a couple of small Parrot Fish and a few bait-fish and I continued to be a zero fighter.

I set off for the Southern tip of Tekukor, facing St.John’s Island, but the currents here were making the surface look like a washing machine. Out on the Western side, the currents were raising white-caps on the waves and boats were flying past – their normal speed seemed to be trebled! I saw a big Queenfish chasing bait toward me, but my lure was on the opposite side. By the time I had retrieved and cast, the fish was nowhere to be found. Casting and casting as I turned in the currents, changing lures as I spun around, I could see the area getting more disturbed.

Two coast guard boats then came past at quite a speed and the wake from these two was looming above me! I turned into the wake, but it still came over the top of the yak! Time for a retreat, so I headed back to the calmer waters.

A few baitfish kept jumping, followed by a couple of Todak. I headed toward them, changed lure and cast. Within a second of the lure hitting the water, up shot a small Todak. This little fella put on quite a show, whizzing through the water and jumping out as high as he could. Good fun playing this fish on light tackle! As he came to the yak, I remembered the hook in my thumb from last week, but had no choice other than to retrieve the fish by hand! I took a firm grip and lifted the toothy critter out for a couple of photos.

My first Todak – even if it is a small one! (Thanks for the photo's Richard!)

Despite trying hard to catch anything bigger, we made our way back to Sentosa, but once again, we were unable to hook into anything big. Merv did manage to find a Stonefish tho..

Lunchtime came and we made our way back to the beach. Once there, were confronted by one of the beach staff saying that we couldn’t land our kayaks there as it was a manned beach. After explaining that we had left from this beach earlier and that we must therefore return to the same beach, he said he was just doing his job, so fair enough.

I’m sure there are some good fish to be had in this area – just gotta find them!

Sorry for the lack of photo’s lately – I will try harder to capture the event next time!

Thanks to Merv & Richard for some of the pics above - and thanks to Mathew for being the human fish finder.....AGAIN!

Cheers,

Ian

jmcdtucson

Thanks for this thread

Post by jmcdtucson » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

This thread has been informative. It's one of the most comprehensive on inflatable kayaks used for fishing.

I bought an AE convertible a year ago to play with in Mexico then found out I could combine this activity with one of my favorite hobbies: fishing.
My kayak was soon outfitted with a converted crate with rod holders. In Mexico, I've been able to catch Corvina (sometimes called sea trout) using trolled Rebel minnow lures. Sizes 18-24 inches (up to 60cm).

I've also used once in fresh water to catch northern pike up to 6.5 pounds (3 kilos) using spinnerbaits.

Now, inspired by Ian, I got the small hummingbird fish finder for Christmas. It's the one powered by 4 AAA batteries.

It's always great fun. But I now wish I didn't live in the desert so I could kayak fish more than a few days a year!

Mathew

Post by Mathew » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi Pearly.. the human fish finder reporting into the forum LOL :shock:

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:02 pm

Mathew wrote:Hi Pearly.. the human fish finder reporting into the forum LOL :shock:
Welcome Matt, :D
did you find any clues about how to rectify your "donut" situation?
From this forum?

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:31 pm

Hi Mathew,

I see you've posted in the AF section, so you should get some help there.

Good luck!

Ian

Mathew

Post by Mathew » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:47 am

I'm a happy kayaker mate :) Seems like active sport is going to get it sorted for me by tomorrow :) So that I can hit the waters this coming weekend!!