Fishing set-up (Updated 08th Jan 2011)

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:28 am

I turn it on and leave it on for the trip! Its like watching TV while fishing!

AhFok

Post by AhFok » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:26 pm

Woah... That's indeed very long.

smooothbore

Battery

Post by smooothbore » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:43 am

Thanks Ian,
Got the 1.5kg anchor. Now for the battery...bought one but it doesn't seem to hold the charge. Got to change it on Monday.
Was hoping to go out this morning for my maiden voyage on the new Expedition, unfortunately something popped up and I have to wait another week...
Would you mind if I joined you one of these weekends?

Regards,
Paul

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:20 am

Sure, kinda busy at work now though, so have to make last minute yakkin plans!

campbellz

Post by campbellz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:26 am

Well, this is my first post. Hi Pearly, your pictures are awesome. Have you tried to explore Pulau Lombok, Indonesia. I have visited it last weekend, fishing there. It is a great place. I think you should go there since this country near Singapore.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:13 am

I flew across the Indo islands a couple of weeks ago - they look awesome! Nwxt time my wife goes off to KL, I shall be taking a break and touring around the islands. I figure all I need is a stack of water, camp cooking stuff and noodles. I should be able to catch fish for meals!!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:24 pm

Kayak Fishing – End March 2010

For some reason, I didn’t get round to posting our last outing!

Everything seemed to be wrong – dead low tide, no current, overcast and spitting with rain, but this was to be some of the best fishing we have had to date!

Merv showed us how to fish again with his live prawns beating the lures again. The fishing for Merv was frantic, with most drops producing a fish. Mathew and I were only a few meters away and couldn’t get the right spot – that Merv was sitting on!

His first few fish were Chermin and he suddenly had something bigger thrashing away on the other end of his line. Mathew and I were hoping it was a smelly catfish, but all three of us knew what it was really – a very nice Kim Bak Lor (Barramundi) of just under 4kg! On his next drop, his rod took another enormous bend and line started peeling off! This wasn’t the same as the previous fight and kept us guessing for a while. When the fish eventually showed its colours, we still got it wrong – we initially thought it was a big Chermin, but as it neared the surface, it turned out to be a beautiful Golden Pomfret – just over 4kg!!

Mathew and I managed a few consolation prizes of a few Chermin, a Catfish for Mathew, a small Grouper and an Ang Cho (Finger-mark Snapper) for me!

The following day, we returned to the water on a bright sunny day. Same time, same tide, but no fish showing for a long time. This time, I emerged the champion with the only fish of the day. First up was a nice Chermin, followed by a feisty Grouper which took a Surecatch rubber fish, followed by a really nice Ang Cho. I even missed a BIG fish as we were trolling back – straightened both brand new hooks on my lure!

Last edited by Pearly on Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:06 pm

Boohoohoo!! No fishing for SOOOOO LOOOOONG!!!!! I've been working far too many hours for the past few weeks - 7 days a week to complete all the testing on my latest project - The Marina Bay Sands Integrated Resort! My longest shift so far was 36 hours! I now feel physically and mentally exhausted, but today is the last day of Government testing. Now all we have to do is complete everything else in time for the opening on 27th April!

I do intend to go fishing this weekend tho! The plan is to take a mother boat out with the yaks on board and fish in a remote area, too far to paddle in normal circumstances.

Tick-tock, tick-tock - can't wait!!!!!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:50 pm

Well, we did manage to get out, but no fish for me apart from one small catfish! We met up at 4:30am for breakfast at a coffee shop, but they had no breakfast! The only food available was steamed pau (like steamed bread with a filling inside), so that's all we had for breakfast, with coffee!

We set off for the marina to find that the prawns Mathew had bought the nught before, and put in the live well of the boat, had all died! There is a cap inside the live well which allows water to change in the well, but no-one told Mathew this! So the first stop was at a kelong (floating fish farm) to pick up some live prawn! Loaded up the yaks and ready to go,

Once we got to the fishing grounds, I was first in and keen to look for fish.

The water here was a dirty brown though, which didn't look very promising. I cast around looking for fish and found some likely ground. I thought I would do a deep diving retrieve through the nastiest looking rock I could find, so cast out and back-paddled a little to get the lure down to the bottom. As I did so, my rod lunged forward as a fish took the lure. My rod was tied onto the yak, so I grabbed the rod and pulled up hard. But the fish was close to the rocks and found cover. As I neared the fish, I could feel it kicking, but the lure was stuck fast. I tried and tried to free it, but eventually the line broke and off went my fish, with a new trophy!

This was to be my only big take of the day. Merv & Mathew managed a few small fish, but the promised land was to leave us a little disappointed. Still, like they say, a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:54 am

Sorry I've been away from the forum for a few days. I was fixing an air con unit at work to cool an area down ready for the Marina Bay Sands opening, but fell through the ceiling as I was about to step onto the ladder!
:roll:

Broke my pelvis and 4 ribs! The ribs don't hurt much, but the pelvis is killing me! Just got back home, but won't be able to go yakking for a while!! :cry:

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:34 am

Ouch, hope you get well soon!

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:05 am

Wow, sorry to hear about your broken bones! Take good care and get better soon.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:08 am

Ian,

Hope you get better soon. Sorry to hear that you will be out of it for awhile.

Jeremy

borisf

Post by borisf » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:42 am

Hi Pearly, sorry to learn about your injury. Though not in kayak for a while, stay with us on this forum. I like your posts and pictures.

lee johnson

Post by lee johnson » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:21 pm

Ian, get well from your condition!

Get back out on the water, fishin',

You know it is your sacred mission

To catch fish from your Expedition!

Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery -- Lee