Kayaking Adventures

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:23 pm
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Post by Alex » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:38 am

Tropical Paradise (13 Feb 2010) Saturday

This is the spot I launch from weekly:

My 6-year-old son's warm up drill before heading out to sea:

Last edited by Alex on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:23 pm
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Post by Alex » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:09 pm

Escape Vessel (16th Feb 2010) Tuesday

Took the AE Expedition to check out a shipyard.
Check out the nose-diving escape vessel.
Weather proof and all, must be engine powered too.
Compare this to the ones you see in the Titanic movie.

Looks like quite a height before it hits the water,
whoever wants to get of the ship must be in a real hurry! :shock:

Caught a nice sized catfish.

Did a catch and release.

The AE Expedition is really good for reaching good fishing grounds.
Checkout my 5-metre fishing rod.

Edible parts of the fishes all cleaned out by my friend, a master chef.


Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:23 pm
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Post by Alex » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:07 am

Island Hopping (20th Feb 2010) Saturday

Started the day's expedition with an unexpected object of caution,
a piece of glass from presumably a broken bottle from a nearby beach pub:

Original plan was head towards Sisters' Island (bigger one) and
fish in the bigger of the two lagoons.
With a tailwind of about 10km/h and assisting currents,
I managed to reach the islands in about 30 mins,
felt like I was surfing, on kayak,
but not before first checking-in with the coast guards,
so that I'll not see them (anywhere near me) again for the rest of the day.
The usual tactic is to paddle straight at them,
start taking photos, to signal my tourist (non-terrorist) intentions,
until they start their engine and come checking.
Upon first sight of any officer appearing,
yell out as loud as I can: GOOD MORNING SIR!
like a junior recruit for the marines.
And as anticipated, it brought a wide smile from the three-stripes asking:

Check out the symmetry. They really look like Sisters, don't they?
Big sister is on your left (East) and Small Sister is on your right (West).

Greeted by a tropical sight of coconut trees. (This photo's for you, Kenny)
The island was so peaceful and serene, I could hear the birds chirping and
Cicadas' acoustic talents, as I drew nearer.

As I entered the lagoon, my fish finder signalled 2 feet depth.
Wait a minute, I thought, "2 feet? 2 feet? How am I gonna catch anything?"
After a survey, I realised the entire lagoon was a "plateau" with 2 feet depth.
So, no fishing here but I was treated to occasional colorful sight of corals,
1-foot, below my kayak.

Headed to the smaller lagoon next and spotted the monkeys (again?)

Next stop was the island jetty:

After a quick check with the weatherman (by phone) and the cloudy but not rainy skies,
and with the constant cool breeze, (perfect day for kayaking)
I decided it will be an island hopping day, and headed for St John's Island.
Now, there was a headwind of about 20km/h and current resistance,
so I tacked to the east and
used the huge boulder on the western side of St John's Island as a shield.

It took 40mins, and I reached a bay south of Rengit Island,
rested and fished near a new pontoon,
had a strike while I was answering a nature's call,
the fish just took off with the entire prawn and spat the hook.

Next stop: Tekukor Island and I took a short cut through this arch:

By this time the wind strength had increased significantly and
at a certain point, the wind direction coincided with the current direction,
luckily the combined speed just about matched my paddling speed,
I was not able to go forward anymore,
so I tacked south-westwards toward the southern tip of Tekukor Island,
and used Tekukor Island as a shield against the north-easterly winds.

After Tekukor Island, I thought getting back to Sentosa Island would be easy.
By this time the channel traffic was at its peak,
the kayak was tossed in all directions by the wind, current
and boats passing by from all directions.
From afar, I could see a 5-men canoe capsize and by the time I reached them,
they were bailing out water with pails. (blue and white pails)

After packing up, as water sprinkled over my head from the beach open shower,
I remembered the significance of the piece of broken glass that started my expedition with EXTREME CAUTION today.

What a day of paddling! :)

Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: Malaysia

Post by Pearly » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:33 pm

Great report Alex. That is quite a long trip with the wind and currents for last weekend. I was thinking of heading out there myself, but saw the weather forecast and decided against it!

Shame about the lack of fish - hopefully we are reaching the last of the monsoon winds and we can get back to fishy waters!

Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:23 pm
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Post by Alex » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:01 am

Pearly wrote:Great report Alex. That is quite a long trip with the wind and currents for last weekend.
Thanks for the compliment Ian.

Actually the fishes are back, it is my lack of expertise that's the problem.

If yourself, Merv or Matt had been where I've been for the past weeks,
you guys would have had your kayaks filled with heaps of fish. :wink:

Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:38 pm
Location: New Jersey - Any Where There's Water


Post by yakman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:46 pm

I enjoyed reading your reports and stories

If you don't mind I would like to share it with others at KayakFishingMagazine.net

Your story is making me look forward to my new boat next week


Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:23 pm
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Post by Alex » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:28 am

Lion and Dragon at sea (27 Feb 2010) Saturday

Bought another kayak yesterday to bring my dad kayaking next weekend.
The red AE 10.5, took it out to the Northern shores of Singapore at Punggol.
Boy do I love the smell of a new kayak!
I would like to thank Active Sports for their undisclosable deal on price and perks.
Thank them for their trust and unparalelled service provided.

I had all the fundamental rope enhancments (eg anchorage requirements)
done up and also rigged my 2-pound anchor,
so that dad would have everything he needed next weekend.

The new kayak is very agile and fast.
And can negotiate difficult current conditions better.
It is best used for quick (4-6hrs) but long distance (above 10km) scouting adventures.
This is a trade-off for storage space that it lacks.
I hope I don't get lazy and turn my AE Expedition into a white elephant.

For it's lighter weight, I can launch alone off rocky embankment
for grouper hunts and disembark from where ever the current takes me.

I will be using it too for all launches where I can take a bus to get there.
(eg Punggol with bus 82)

At Punggol today, in the midst of my fishing, I heard sounds of gongs and drums,
initially I thought it was from the jetty, but as the beats grew louder,
I realised that it was lion dance on a boat!

That's not all, it was followed by a dragon on a boat too!

They must be headed to Ubin Island to bless the folks there and
bring them good luck!
Well, luck was on my side, I caught my usual dozen of 9-inch Selars again.

And to top the day, let me show you my nature shot for the year.
Taken just before launch of the new kayak.
There were some haze which acted as a natural filter for the sun.
A beautiful start for a brand new kayak.
Last edited by Alex on Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:23 pm
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Post by Alex » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:51 am

3-Generation Kayaking Expedition (6th Mar 2010) Saturday

Took my dad (70 yrs old) and son (7 yrs old)
for a short kayaking expedition today.

After 30mins or so of paddling in Tanjong beach lagoon,
dad felt confident and we headed towards Palawan beach.

We had blessed weather, cool and breezy. Love this photo.

Before long, dad had become an eager beaver and ventured ahead of us.
That's when I noticed a streak in the sky above him.
Shooting star? Meteor? Nope, just a jet-liner. Love this photo too, though.

We reached our destination, anchored for some tea and confectionery.
Dad happily called mum to tell of how well he was doing.
Life-vest unzipped, knees out and cap off, totally at ease.
Maybe, someday I'll buy a AE double kayak, to take mum out sea. hmm...

Whether seen from front or back,
just looking at the two of them paddling together,
really warms my heart, so glad I pulled off this expedition successfully.

Although, I left all fishing gear at home, we did witness rod bending action.
From afar, the unmistakeable silhouette of 2 lurers.

Saw the whole luring episode from fish on to fish out of water.
Good job! How this for a challenge for master lurers Ian and Mathew.

After lunch, we headed for our own homes separately,
dad took a bus while junior and myself
took the train with 2 kayaks and the paddle board.

Junior showed that he's well and ready to take over the AE 10.5 anytime.

This expedtion has opened up countless new kayaking options
and fishing combinations for dad, junior and me.
Most of all, a priceless moment captured in a photo.
Last edited by Alex on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:23 pm
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Water gun battles

Post by Alex » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:47 am

Water gun battles (16th Mar 2010) Tuesday

Loads of fun!

Last edited by Alex on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:23 pm
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Post by Alex » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:58 am

Packing 2 AE kayaks together
First pile them up like a nice sandwich.

Then, lift the "wings" of the bag.

Insert the footpump into the side pocket and zip up!

And there you have it, 35kg on a trolley. :lol:

Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:23 pm
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Battling Punctures

Post by Alex » Sat May 08, 2010 4:45 am

Battling punctures

I have been battling bad luck and quite a few kayaking issues lately.
One issue that I have been able to successfully fix is the punctures.

I have had 2 types of puncture, in the floor bladder and in the inner tube.

First, the floor bladder.
I have caught hundreds of fishes and sustained only one puncture last year.
But this year, just one fish gave me SIX punctures!

And this is the culprit (a parrot fish, with just one flip of it fins):

Thus began the patching process, first to seek out the pin-size holes.

Then mark them with a waterproof marker.

Clean the punctures with a dry cloth.
Apply quick-dry super glue (about 1cm in diameter) over each of the tiny holes.
Just when the glue turns cloudy, apply more glue and
place a patch of cut-out duct tape over it.
Press out any air trapped in the patch and clean off excess glue around the patch.

Leave it to dry overnight and immerse it in water again the next day.

Just when I thought my puncture blues are over.
I discovered the second type of puncture.

The inner tubes of the kayak fail to stay inflated overnight.
Strong winds must have blown my bike in such a strange manner
that it landed on top of the kayak,
drying on top of bike between two waist high concrete slabs.
Upon trying to inflating the kayak,
I could hear a hissing sound on the starboard side of the kayak.
So, for the first time, I unzipped the compartment holding the inner tube.
Without taking out the inner tube, I was able to locate visually and
was able to patch the puncture without taking out the inner tube.

I left the kayak fully inflated overnite to see if it is still firmly inflated the next day.
The next morning, to my horror, never before has my bike toppled before,
let alone two nights in a row, it must have been some really "wicked" wind.
So, out came the inner tube for a dip test.
It was then that I realised how it looked.
The naked kayak!

I found one good news and one bad news.
The good news was the patch at the seam worked.
The bad news was the wind-bike episode created another hole on the port side.

Thus, it was again a dap of glue.

And a nicely placed patch again.

This time I left the kayak firmly inflated for almost a week before embarking on a
2D1N expedition to a cluster of off-shore islands.
And on returning, I realised that maybe it was not bad luck after all,
and was a blessing in disguise that I found the punctures early, on land.
I just can't imagine, battling punctures out at sea while island hopping for 2D1N.

I am responsible for all punctures and still think highly of all AE kayaks
for the high quality designs and materials.

The local AE agent I contacted for information was also very helpful and
responded promptly with great after sales service.

Thank you!

Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:20 pm
Location: Canada, Ontario, Toronto

Post by borisf » Sun May 09, 2010 11:21 am

Thank you for sharing this important experience. I read it carefully knowing that one day it could be of use for me too.
It's well written and I have only one question: what type of duct tape did you use?
By the way, I recently tested the new AE Rapid Up Sail. Pictures and video are at: http://yaktraveller.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... aw-to.html

Thank you,

Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:23 pm
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Duct tape

Post by Alex » Sun May 09, 2010 3:07 pm

Greetings Borisf,

Thank you for sharing your videos with your new sail.
You have great scenic lakes in your country, really beautiful!

As for the duct tape, I suppose,
firstly they must be tearproof and waterproof.

Upon inspecting it a moment ago,
I found little fibres criss-crossing within the tape.

I actually did not choose any in particular,
took some from the roll that's lying in the storeroom,
just plain luck that the color matches too. :wink:

Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:23 pm
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Some Recent photos

Post by Alex » Sat May 22, 2010 6:27 am

Some recent photos





KEN (the RSAF Super Puma Pilot) AND SON





Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 11:02 pm

Post by Tsweets » Sat May 29, 2010 11:22 pm

Great pictures!!!

I am curious about the packing of the Expedition. I noticed today when I saw it in store that it occupied the whole carrying bag, whereas in your pictures it appears to only occupy 1/2 to 2/3's of the bag. The picture where you show your folding method, is this the original bag the Expedition came with? I am a public transit user and size is important to me.



Post Reply