Floor Question

AE1006-G(2004-2006), AE1006-Y(2007-Present), AE1014-Y(2007-Present), AE1008-GRN(2005-2007), AE1008-R(2008-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

zero3803

Floor Question

Post by zero3803 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:29 pm

When inflating the floor chamber, is it normal to not receive a psi reading on the AE double action pump? I normally inflate the main chambers until they're fairly firm at which point the pressure gauge goes up to ~2psi. When I was inflating the floor chamber it felt very firm, but I was receiving no psi reading. I stopped filling at this point, and was just wondering if this particular valve is structured such that it doesn't provide backpressure to the gauge like the normal large boston's do.

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Tue May 24, 2011 3:07 pm

The floor is very low pressure @ 1psi, so it won't register on the gauge. Simply, fill the floor chamber until full or you feel the pump start to give back. It doesnt need to be rock hard.

mad dawg

rule of thumb for floor inflation

Post by mad dawg » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:52 pm

I have a StraitEdge canoe, and I live in fear of overinflation, especially of the floor. Visions of split seams and i-bean failure haunt me with every stroke of the pump.

In another section of this forum, it was suggested that you should be able to touch the top of the floor to the bottom with moderate pressure. The way I have it, the floor is fairly soft, and yields to light pressure from a finger. However, I'm not able to touch bottom with the boat on solid ground.

However, using the heel of my hand, and putting a little bit of weight behind it, I am able to hit bottom. When I lift up one end, it does not "taco", but that could be due in part to the inflation chambers at both ends of the canoe.

Am I over-inflating? Am I under-inflating? Or do I have it juuust riiiight?

Similarly, is there a rule of thumb for the correct inflation of the walls of the canoe? Should they feel pretty firm? When I press down on it with a finger, how much should it yield?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Sounds about right for the floor. Could use a little less maybe. If you sit on it, you shouldn't sink all the way down though. The Main Chambers should be firm. 2-2.3 psi should be fine. If you pick it up from either end, it shouldn't bend or fold. If it begins to get a little difficult to pump, you are going past the amount necessary.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:17 pm

I gauge the correct amount when I can no longer feel the backbone plus a few pumps. It is basically just before the pump begins to change in how difficult it is to pump. This of course is if you have a backbone. Otherwise it doesn't mean much.

mad dawg

thanks

Post by mad dawg » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:30 am

Thanks for the feedback on the floor. I was afraid of under-inflating the floor, as it felt a little too soft, but perhaps it was for naught. Outside of the shell, it seems to hold its shape, but installed, I think it would bend or fold under the weitght if it weren't for the walls and inflation chambers holding the basic shape of the canoe.

It's probably different for the kayaks, but the recommended pressure for the walls on the straitedge canoe is only 1.5 psi. I've read in another forum category that the walls should be tennis-ball firm. I don't go quite that far, but I usually go to the point where the stirrup-pump starts pushing back a bit.

That was the rule of thumb for the kayaks, where it sounds like the recommended pressure for the main chambers is 2.0-2.3 psi versus only 1.5 psi for the straitedge canoe. Is the resistance to the pump due to the inflation pressure, or due to the constraint of the outer shell? Is this still a good rule of thumb for the straitedge canoe?