Canoe, I made my own keel

AE1006-G(2004-2006), AE1006-Y(2007-Present), AE1014-Y(2007-Present), AE1008-GRN(2005-2007), AE1008-R(2008-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Post Reply
sfshilo
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:52 pm

Canoe, I made my own keel

Post by sfshilo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:58 pm

The boat was working ok for my wife and I, but there were times that the tracking was CRAZY. Like no matter what I would do there was no recovering and we'd spin.

Built a keel that attaches to the same "pouch" that the aluminum does with a 1" pvc pipe that runs the length. Had to build a "notch" piece so it would fit nicely into the hole and not stretch/break anything.

Took it out today with that installed, it tracked, it was VERY fun, and it's the best $2.50 I've ever spent lol. I know you build a keel for the kayaks, helps out the canoe as well.

If anyone wants to know how to build it, it's minimal work if you have a head on your shoulders.

Loving the canoe and it's portability, worth every penny.

User avatar
mad dawg
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:21 pm

Post by mad dawg » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:31 am

It sounds like you've created a backbone for your canoe, sfshilo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqDvosZbQeg I'd imagine that it would be a little easier with the canoe due to the open cockpit.

It's something that I've wished was available for my Straitedge Canoe; I've given thought to creating my own, such as you have done, but had always been afraid of accidentally tearing the floor or the hull of my canoe. And how to keep it properly centered along the floor of the canoe during use.

Thanks for sharing your experiences in using the canoe with the keel that you've created. It'd be fantastic if you could also share photos, plans, dimensions, and tips for other straitedge canoe owners who also want to experiment with improving the tracking of their vessel.

sfshilo
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:52 pm

Keel How to

Post by sfshilo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:25 pm

Keep in mind this is not the rigid type keel, it's going to look flimsy, but when two people are sitting in the canoe it forces the keel into the bottom of the canoe. (And the water tension pushing back up on the bottom also helps.) Remember a keel on a canoe is purely for tracking purposes, canoes are generally wide body by nature, and this canoe is REALLY stable when inflated correctly.

Image
First off I used 3/4 inch thick PVC with a female/female friction adapter. (Not threaded) so I could pack this into my car. I has like an inch of "insert" so it will not fall apart. (PVC is really tight connections anyway.)
See below fully assembled
Image

The hard part was the adapter to prevent it from ripping or falling out.
I'm a eagle scout so I duck taped, glued, and lashed my way to a solution that has held up all summer.



Image

The trick is to cut a 4 inch piece of PVC 3/4 length wise. The thicker piece props up the thinner piece.

Image

I also rounded the edges with a file to prevent cutting into the canoe pvc.

The "thin" piece fits into the bottom pockets that the aluminum pieces fit into, but from the other direction. (Underneath the pocket that holds the ridges.)

The tricky part of all of this is A. The assembly lashing to prevent it from breaking. B. The length so it won't fall out.

Hope this helps!

JimD
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:05 am
Location: UK

Post by JimD » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:58 pm

That looks like a good idea. Is it easy to get the tag into the bow and stern frame pockets without stripping off the outer skin? The only thing the standard backbone lacks is a positive location system, and you've solved that bit.

I have a gen-u-ine AE backbone, but a way of reducing assembly errors could be good.

Having said that, I think my crappy paddling technique throws me off line far more than backbone or tube alignment ever could.

sfshilo
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:52 pm

Post by sfshilo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:32 pm

haha, well the "pocket" that is formed when they attached the aluminum sleeve seems to fit it perfect, and the spacing was the hardest, I didn't want to put any pressure on that joint so it's just enough to keep it in place rather then force anything. When I put it in generally there is 1/2" ish of slack on each end so it's not rubbing anything.

Oh and the stroke stuff, the boy scouts helped ALOT, but I found this website a real help when I was refreshing for this summer.

http://www.redrockstore.com/Jstroke/index.html

The guy is pretty funny, but he knows his stuff.

User avatar
mad dawg
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:21 pm

Post by mad dawg » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:02 pm

Thanks for your detailed instructional, sfshilo. Shows what you can accomplish with a bit of preserverance. Mother of invention, and all that. Good job.

User avatar
sonar
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 3:05 am
Location: Northeast. U.K

Post by sonar » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:15 pm

I like all the Do it yourself ideas and projects.

Great work keep it up. :D

Post Reply