Questions about the straitedge single kayak

AE1006-G(2004-2006), AE1006-Y(2007-Present), AE1014-Y(2007-Present), AE1008-GRN(2005-2007), AE1008-R(2008-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Kayaker

Questions about the straitedge single kayak

Post by Kayaker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi all, I was considering buying a single straitedge kayak but had a couple of questions about it. If anyone could help me out, much appreciated.

1. What is the internal diameter?
2. Can it be used for some surfing (nothing too big just small to medium waves). And are the metal frames well anchored (If you turned over in surf would they stay put or is there a danger they'll come out and be lost).
3. How hard is it to paddle in the wind? (I know inflatables are always going to be more prone to being pushed around but on a scale with other inflatables how good is it?)
4. How rigid is the floor?

Thanks in advance!

dinahmoehum51

Re: Questions about the straitedge single kayak

Post by dinahmoehum51 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:16 pm

Kayaker wrote:Hi all, I was considering buying a single straitedge kayak but had a couple of questions about it. If anyone could help me out, much appreciated.

1. What is the internal diameter?
2. Can it be used for some surfing (nothing too big just small to medium waves). And are the metal frames well anchored (If you turned over in surf would they stay put or is there a danger they'll come out and be lost).
3. How hard is it to paddle in the wind? (I know inflatables are always going to be more prone to being pushed around but on a scale with other inflatables how good is it?)
4. How rigid is the floor?

Thanks in advance!
Not sure what you mean by diameter - do you want dimensions? Ok for minimal surfing. Frames are well anchored - I don't see how they will fall out just from flipping. Paddling in the wind - you know you're in an IK. Since this is the only IK I've ever had, I can't compare, but definite difference between the Straitedge IK and a hard shell. Floor is nice and rigid when inflated. You can really get this boat pretty firm. I've had mine in Class IVs (withouth the ribs) and it performed very well.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:44 pm

The area where the paddler sits is a little wider than most adults' thighs -- should be plenty of room for most paddlers.
The wind will push any inflatable or sit-on-top kayak around more than it pushes a fibreglass or plastic sea kayak, but it's okay. I don't find my StraitEdge too hard to paddle on a breezy day, but then, I don't go out in extremely windy conditions.
The floor is good and rigid. It's okay to paddle with the scupper plugs in or out -- even if the StraitEdge is "full" of water there's not too much water in it and it floats really well.
My paddle group has practise times in safe conditions where we fall out on purpose, flip our boats, crawl back in and generally learn how our boats handle.