Spam control

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator:JCOOLEY

Timbo
Spam control

Post by Timbo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:32 am

There appears to be no quick and easy way of reporting obvious
spammers posts on the forum (counted 4 today).
A couple of windsurf forums here in Europe i am a member of , have a simple exclamation mark button with which logged in users can use to
bring a suspected post to the attention of the administrator or moderator .
This system really works and has the double benefit of involvement for
forum users and little less work for admin.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:20 am

If you notice spammers, you only need to send myself or Pearly a PM and we will get them off right away. We are usually good about checking on a daily basis to keep spammers off. Pearly has an advantage because he is in Singapore and sees these posts quite a few hours before I do.

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:57 pm

Sorry , just noticed that there was already an
open topic about Spammers,should have posted
there.
Like others , i shall keep a watchful eye out .

JimD

Post by JimD » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:37 am

I've reported umpteen spammers, but the only time we see them is after they've made a nuisance of themselves.

Would it be possible for the admins to set the attributes for new members to moderated, so their first post needs approval? Once they've posted a legitimate note, they could be taken out of the moderated group. Spammers could be deleted at the same time as their attempted spam is deleted, without it ever showing on the forum.

This wouldn't help if a member got infected by a virus or trojan that spammed all the addresses in their address book, but it'd stop most of them.

Jim