Compare the AE Convertible V Bic Nomad

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

FrankP

Compare the AE Convertible V Bic Nomad

Post by FrankP » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Compare the Bic tandem Nomad to the AE Convertible. I can't find any reviews. For full disclosure I own the AE Convertible and like it a lot. The Nomad could be kayak # 2 for us next year or we stay with the AE. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.airkayaks.com/products/BIC-S ... Y1005.html

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:34 pm

I know it's double the price of the AFC. Can't find much info or reviews on it though.

FrankP

Post by FrankP » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:59 pm

I know. I have not seen a review anywhere. It is 1.5 ft longer and has a high pressure floor and keel and comes with the deck. I don't know how tough it is and if it tracks as well as the AE Conv. I have not called Airkayaks.com either

FrankP

Post by FrankP » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Recently I read the glue and seams of all Bic kayaks are not so good. Still have not read any reviews.

lee johnson

How's Bic's Customer Service, in Case of Problems?

Post by lee johnson » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:38 am

Advanced Elements has several things going for their products: 1) excellent quality, 2) clever, tested designs, and 3) customer service that is unequalled. Thus, if you have any problems with their products, AE is there for you, anywhere on planet Earth. This is a company that goes out of its way to make sure you will be happy with their kayaks and SUPs.

Bics are made in France, and one wonders, for those in other countries, whether Bic's customer service is an issue, if seams split or other manufacturing faults occur. Here in North America, my impression is that, if you buy a Bic kayak, you are pretty much on your own. This is not a particular criticism of Bic because it applies to many other manufacturers as well (especially of inflatables) whose dealers are deserted at the point when problems arise.

The best way of answering questions about non-AE products is to try them and talk to the people who sell them - to get a sense of what happens when things need tweaking, repairing, or replacing. I certainly enjoy trying out as many different kinds of kayaks as I can find, but no one has backed their products, in my experience, the way AE does.

FrankP

Post by FrankP » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:58 pm

My wife and I are very happy with our AFC tandem. After more than 30 outings this year we couldn't be happier. I do wish AE would design a Kayak in the 17-18 ft length for 2 paddlers with more space to stow things and have more distance between paddlers. I have the conversion decks (the older style 2012). I plan on buying the Kayak Sailor sail this coming spring and wish there was a little more length between the bow and the first paddler so the sail rig was not so close to the bow paddler. I also think having a longer kayak would make it more stable in rougher water. The Folbot tandem is 17 ft and a new AE would compete well with that. A working rudder would be nice too.