Canadian Retailers!

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Windnut

Canadian Retailers!

Post by Windnut » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:23 pm

What has happened to the Canadian distributorship?The local dealers I've called are all saying that they no longer carry Advanced Elements because they have to deal out of the US rather then through Canadian distribution. I'm looking for a replacement floor for one of my Expeditions and it looks like I have to deal direct so the price will be at least $100 Canadian which will most likely be more with some other hidden fee by the time I get it. This seems like an awful high price for what is basically an air mattress.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:32 pm

I hear ya Windnut. I'm looking at purchasing the new Packlite kayak, and I was dismayed to see that this 4lb. kayak will cost me $56. for shipping. Heck, that's more than half of what I paid to have my much heavier AdvancedFrame shipped. My guess is it's customs/import fee's.

Windnut

Post by Windnut » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:16 am

Yes it makes it very difficult when you can't buy local because there are no retailers and shipping costs are so high that buying on line isn't much of an option.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:24 am

Well, actually, I've found that buying online is a bit better than buying from a Canadian retailer. They, obviously, add the duties to their prices, but they also mark up the prices to attain their profits, so, even though we end up paying much more than they do in the US, it's still a bit cheaper to just bite the bullet and pay the high shipping charges. It's not a perfect solution, but it's the best one we have at the moment.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:27 am

It is true that Advanced Elements has cut ties with it's prior distributor in Canada. This happened at the beginning of 2013. The reason being is that going through a distributor drove the prices up way too high. Customers in Canada were unable to get product at a fair price. This drove internet sales, from the US, up over the prior couple of years. To make Advanced Elements products more in line with US pricing, Advanced Elements has taken over distribution into Canada. We have worked with a few dealers to get product rolling again over the course of 2013 and it looks like 2014 will pick up significantly. Unfortunately for replacement parts, you will need to order directly from Advanced Elements therefore there may be a little more of a charge due to shipping. Usually there is no duty and tax on replacement parts just a longer shipping distance and border crossing.
Here is a list of current dealers that you can purchase from. If they do not carry something in stock, I would suggest asking them to order it. Also, if you do need a replacement part, it may be wise to work with a retailer near you so that it can be shipped with one of their shipments therefore driving the cost of shipping on it way down.

Western Canoeing and Kayaking in BC
Steveston Marine in BC
Skyview Camping in BC
Ocean Pacific Watersports in BC
Alberni Outpost in BC
Undercurrents in Calgary, AB
Canada Amazon.com.ca
and are soon to be with FGL Sports

Advanced Elements has contacted many retailers in the last month and will be adding to this list this year. We expect very large growth. The pricing that Advanced Elements has in place for Canada retailers allows them to retail the product for about the same price as it would be in the US.
Hopefully this answers some of the questions regarding Advanced Elements product in Canada. Thank you for your patience and understanding during the transition. If anyone has questions, please contact Advanced Elements directly and we will be more than happy to answer them.

Jeremy Cooley
Operations Manager
Advanced Elements

Windnut

Post by Windnut » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:05 pm

Well it doesn't look like this change has helped with the pricing because I just got a call from Alberni Outpost and they quoted a price of $99.98 plus $40.00
shipping plus tax. I have really enjoyed my kayaks and have gotten a lot of use out of them and should have been more careful when using them. Leaving them in the sun while at the beach for the day wasn't a good idea so we won't do that again. The thing is now it will be very hard to recommend them to anyone that asks about them because of the price and availability of replacement parts.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:17 pm

As I mentioned, for replacement parts, the best way is to contact Advanced Elements directly. The floor itself is $50 USD. Shipping would be about another $20 give or take. Our distributor before did have some replacement parts available but not all. Even though they had some available, they typically gauged on pricing. Alberni doesn't have the item in stock and is probably going off of the old distributors prices.

info@advancedelements.com
707-745-9800

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:54 pm

Good point about the sunshine on a kayak on the beach, Windnut! When I put my kayak on the beach and have a snack, I let a little air out of it. Easy to puff it back up -- especially the floor -- and thus avoid air expansion in the sunshine.