Technique for Self Rescue and Assisted Rescue

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Luke_Warmwater

Technique for Self Rescue and Assisted Rescue

Post by Luke_Warmwater » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:25 pm

Hi;

We just purchased a Advanced Frame and a Advanced Frame Expedition. We are new to kayaking and have taken a basic paddling/rescue skills course.

What is the best method for self rescue and assisted rescue on AF kayaks, given the different design from traditional kayaks? In other words, if I fall into the water, what is the best method to get back into my kayak if I am alone or if I am with a second paddler?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:30 pm

YOu can swing your body over the side of the kayak and roll into it or you can pull yourself up onto it and then into it from either the front or back of the kayak. The front is the easiest because there is more deck space to work with.

Jeremy
8)

Luke_Warmwater

Post by Luke_Warmwater » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:41 pm

Thanks Jeremy;

I have been reading the forum and enjoy it very much. Good job.

:D

KayakJack

Post by KayakJack » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:52 pm

carrying a paddle float and learning how to use it is essential.

When flipping the kayak, grab the far side to flip, it'll be easier and won't shoot out from under your arms.

paddlesheep

Post by paddlesheep » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:20 pm

I posted a couple of videos of me getting back into my Innova Sunny from the water on my blog. It's pretty much the same with the AE...very easy compared to a hardshell.

http://paddlesheep.blogspot.com/
Last edited by paddlesheep on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luke_Warmwater

Post by Luke_Warmwater » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:49 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I watched the video. It does look easy.

dkvl

Self Rescue in Advanced Frame

Post by dkvl » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:40 pm

Certainly didn't find it as easy as the video. Enclosed compartment not so easy to flip into. I managed to get myself onto the front and pulled myself along to be able to get legs in. Harder with my PFD on due to catching. Certainly I wouldn't manage without another kayak alongside to provide added stability.
I would appreciated any more advise. Anyone got a video of getting back into the Advanced Frame from the water.
Many thanks

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:08 pm

I practised in safe conditions with friends nearby. My best way to get back into any of these inflatables is cowboy style over the bow.
Hold the boat and swim round to the bow. Let your legs float up behind you so you are lying flat on top of the water. Put both hands on the bow, grab the deck lines if you can, and push DOWN. Move your head and upper body over your hands (or pull the bow under your head and upper body, whatever works). Shift your grip so your hands are gripping the coaming or close to it, and pull your body farther onto the bow. Move farther along the kayak with feet dangling on either side for balance. When your midsection is over the cockpit, snake one leg inside the kayak, then the other leg. Roll over so that your bottom is back in the seat.
The Cowboy re-entry feels like how a seal would get into one of these boats, leaping out of the water and slithering up the bow.

dkvl

Post by dkvl » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:54 am

Thanks - I will give this a try. I was approaching the front of the kayak at more of an angle to avoid a forward flip.