Licensing and registration

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

rcreek

Licensing and registration

Post by rcreek » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:36 pm

Hello

I am new to the forum and although I have taken classes I am new to kayaking in general. I have just purchased the Advanced Frame expedition here in Illinois (Chicago) and I am in the process of filling out my forms for the DNR (Dept. Natural Resources) to have my kayak properly licensed. My question is this. Does this license allow me to also paddle out of state or do I need to get permits for every state that I paddle in?

Thank you very much for your time
Rob

waddle

Post by waddle » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:49 pm

I'm in the Chicago area, too and had to go through the process. Most states actually don't require registration for canoes, kayaks or other non-motorized water craft. We just happen to be lucky enough to live in one that does. For Illinois, if your kayak is registered in another state and you plan on being in Illinois waters for less than 60 consecutive days, you don't have to register in Illinois. I would assume other registration requiring states have the same kind of arrangement.

In Wisconsin, registration for non-motorized craft is voluntary, not required.

KayakJack

in NY too.

Post by KayakJack » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:19 pm

In New York City, the kayak has to be registered every year if you are going to use any of the Dept. of Parks launch ramps (probably total of 10 in the entire city, in hard to reach destinations with no parking and usually not in the greatest of neighborhoods). the rate is approx. $40 per boat/year per individual.

If you want to park in the park where these ramps are located, parking permits from the city can go up to $200 per summer if you want to use the park's parking facility which is usually close to the boat launch ramps. Otherwise, it is street parking - if you can even find any or willing to carry your kayak 1/2 a mile -1 mile+ to the boat launch by foot.

It's a technical law for the city to make money. of all the times i've been on the water, etc. I've never been asked to produce any type of permit, etc. I don't even think most of the park rangers/park workers even know about the permit.

As far as using it anywhere else, etc. it is only good in the five boroughs. Every county has it's own permit requirement and the rates vary. (ie: Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk, etc.) again, they're never checked and it is a way for the city to 1. Cover their ass in case of any mishap on the waters. 2. Generate revenue.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:05 pm

I'd heard that New York City does offer some paddling potential, but that people rarely go kayaking there. From what you say, it seems true. A charge to register a non-commercial boat, yearly?
Your post puts a whole new angle on "commando kayaking" (as Dubside calls it), or portaging your inflatable or folding kayak on public transit or a bike... who would do anything else in NYC?
Makes me glad once again to be living in a city with multiple launch sites within two blocks of a bus route, and free parking in a small lot or wide street. This place is kayaker heaven.

KayakJack

sucks...

Post by KayakJack » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:11 pm

yeah it sucks. NYC has it's perks and downs.

Yes, a charge to register a non-commercial or motored boat, yearly.

A bike on public transit such as the LIRR = $5 year for a permit to carry on the train. ie: http://www.mta.info/lirr/pubs/bicyclep.htm

Again...most people rarely pay these outrageous fees on top of all the other crap we already pay for in the city, including a 3x tax system (federal/state/city). But once in a blue moon, some city worker will be having a bad day and will decide to check someone at random just to make that person have a bad day.

its all about the almighty "$", here.

PJohanson wrote:I'd heard that New York City does offer some paddling potential, but that people rarely go kayaking there. From what you say, it seems true. A charge to register a non-commercial boat, yearly?
Your post puts a whole new angle on "commando kayaking" (as Dubside calls it), or portaging your inflatable or folding kayak on public transit or a bike... who would do anything else in NYC?
Makes me glad once again to be living in a city with multiple launch sites within two blocks of a bus route, and free parking in a small lot or wide street. This place is kayaker heaven.

bbellie

Illinois and Cook County Inflatable Requirements

Post by bbellie » Tue May 12, 2015 2:12 pm

Just a note, things in Illinois used to be more difficult for inflatable watercraft, but have changed for the better. Previously it did not matter if your watercraft was multi-chambered and well designed. Thankfully, here is a link to the Cook County Illinois Rules:

http://fpdcc.com/preserves-and-trail...d-regulations/

Inflatables with multi-chambers are now allowed on most if not all Illinois waters that allow non-powered boating. You no longer have to register a Kayak or other non-powered watercraft, but you do need to have an Illinois Water Usage Stamp. See here:

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/boating/...agestamps.aspx

I hope this helps.