FORUM COSTRUCTION

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

FORUM COSTRUCTION

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Dear Forum Posters and Readers. Over the next month I will be performing maintainance to the forum and reconstructing it as well to make it easier to use. Please be patient with this process and if you have any suggstions, please post them here.

Sincerely thank you,

Jeremy
8)

SF48

Post by SF48 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:31 pm

I belong to a few forums, and have found that one thing to try and avoid is the creation of too many categories. Most have more than this one, but this one is nice because you can easliy browse everything quickly. One that I belong to has so many categories that it has complicated matters to the point of ridiculous. Simple is better.

Just my $.02

KayakJack

agreed.

Post by KayakJack » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:51 pm

I second that.
SF48 wrote:I belong to a few forums, and have found that one thing to try and avoid is the creation of too many categories. Most have more than this one, but this one is nice because you can easliy browse everything quickly. One that I belong to has so many categories that it has complicated matters to the point of ridiculous. Simple is better.

Just my $.02

waddle

Post by waddle » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:43 am

I third that. This one is pretty easy to navigate, and I really appreciate that it has a decent search function, too.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:03 am

One of my ideas to make it even easier is to break the categories into seperate forums to make it easier to navigate. There will be an inflatable forum that will have all the kayaks listed seperately so that questions, answers and comments can be directed to each seperate kayak. If you are looking for answers on a specific model, you can go directly to that category without having to repeat questions and find exactly what you need to know. Same goes for a seperate accessory forum and paddle trips etc. I notice we get a lot of repeat questions and I feel it would be easier to just directly focus on the product question , answer or comment at hand. What do you think? The seperate forums would still all be listed on the main oage for this master forum area.
If any of that all makes sense.
Jeremy
8)

waddle

Post by waddle » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:18 am

That sounds great, Jeremy! I especially like the idea of breaking it down into the different products.

SF48

Post by SF48 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:35 pm

O/K, so we (sf48,kayakjack,waddle) will be the self-appointed (apply baritone voice over here);forum development review committee. Sounds very important, eh? :lol:

Looking forward to the first draft to be submitted for review. :wink:

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:24 pm

Sounds good! I should be able to start working on it next week. It really shouldn't take very long. I want to try and get this done before we get way to many posts to move around. Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

Jeremy
8)

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:51 pm

Well, I am about half way done. I have worked on it most of today. I should be able to wrap it up tomorow. Right now I have the different forums locked so new posts cannot be added. I will remove this once I am done. Let me know what you think so far and if there is something you maybe think I should add, delete etc.

Thanks,

Jeremy
8)

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:58 pm

Well gang, I was actually able to wrap it up today. Not to shabby if I do say so myself. Let me know what you think. Also, if you come across any posts that you feel may be in the worng section, please let me know and I will look into it.

Happy Paddling!

Jeremy
8)

poiuyebay

Post by poiuyebay » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:32 pm

Quite frankly, this new forums seems way too much. The thing is that this forum doesn't have a whole lot of traffic, so separating the previous 4 topics into 40+ different topics is a bit overkill.

"Issues/Problems" and "Repairs" can be consolidated as well as all the accessories. That's just my opinion. :idea:

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:19 am

poiuyebay wrote:Quite frankly, this new forums seems way too much. The thing is that this forum doesn't have a whole lot of traffic, so separating the previous 4 topics into 40+ different topics is a bit overkill.

"Issues/Problems" and "Repairs" can be consolidated as well as all the accessories. That's just my opinion. :idea:
The reason I seperated everything is because we were beginning to get a lot of repeat questions that was cluttering the forum. PEople just aren't looking thorugh it so many questions and answers are repeated. I give most of the answers here so it simplifies things a little. I do know what you mean as far as consolidating some of the topics. When I do look at the forum, there is a lot to look through. I will continue to improve on it over time. For know I think seperating things out will be good so I can see what topics are touched on the most. NExt year is also going to be a busy year and I am sure that the traffic on this site will double as it did this year. Thank you for your suggestions.

Jeremy
8)

SF48

Post by SF48 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:05 pm

poiuyebay wrote:Quite frankly, this new forums seems way too much. The thing is that this forum doesn't have a whole lot of traffic, so separating the previous 4 topics into 40+ different topics is a bit overkill.

Have to agree here, and today is much better than yesterday (29vs40+).

It does seem feasible to me to lump all the models of a lineup into one category, ie; all Straight Edges, all Advanced Frames, Dragon Flies/Fire Flies, etc.

Right now there still seems to be a lot of categories for a small forum. My experience with that in another forum I belong to is that I tend to gravitate toward a couple of specific categories, and then don't have the time to explore the posts in other areas.

SF48

Post by SF48 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:08 pm

Next year is also going to be a busy year and I am sure that the traffic on this site will double as it did this year.

Jeremy
8)[/quote]

Just as a side note; I'm really glad this forum took off. I had signed up when it was originally formed, and it lay stagnant for a while. More participation will make it that much more fun.

:D

slurch

Post by slurch » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:08 pm

What a mess. How about having the basic list Inflatable Kayaks, accessories etc as a main menu and date of last post in that section, then the new categories, it would make a much less cluttered forum and easier to see where new posts are. :o