FORUM COSTRUCTION

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:09 pm

I'll give it to the end of the week and see what other kind of feedback I get. If I get quite a few folks saying it can be bunched down, then I will do it. If it seems easier to navigate have the seperate models, then I will leave it as it is. It will definately help if I can get a bunch more feedback though.

Jeremy
8)

KayakJack

To like or not to like, that is thy question.

Post by KayakJack » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:51 pm

I like it because it's more organized.

I don't like it because this forum doesn't generate enough posts, etc. to fill up all the categories

I like it because if traffic does pickup, hopefully with members from all over the world, the layout will work.

I don't like it because I find myself skipping posts that may pertain to me (common/shareable issues such as fabric rips, tips and ideas, etc.) in categories that I may ignore because they do not pertain to me.

I don't like it because I find myself clicking and clicking "back" way too often when scanning for newer articles to read.

I like the new categories such as Clubs and Gear for Sale (how about changing it to Gear for Sale/Wanted?)

-KayakJack

JCOOLEY wrote:I'll give it to the end of the week and see what other kind of feedback I get. If I get quite a few folks saying it can be bunched down, then I will do it. If it seems easier to navigate have the seperate models, then I will leave it as it is. It will definately help if I can get a bunch more feedback though.

Jeremy
8)

waddle

Post by waddle » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:58 pm

I was out of town, so this is the first time I'm seeing it. I actually like the new set up. I can skim through pretty quickly now and avoid some of the products that I have no interest in or knowledge about.

Nice job, Jeremy. :D

poiuyebay

Post by poiuyebay » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:00 pm

JCOOLEY wrote:
poiuyebay wrote:Quite frankly, this new forums seems way too much. The thing is that this forum doesn't have a whole lot of traffic, so separating the previous 4 topics into 40+ different topics is a bit overkill.

"Issues/Problems" and "Repairs" can be consolidated as well as all the accessories. That's just my opinion. :idea:
The reason I seperated everything is because we were beginning to get a lot of repeat questions that was cluttering the forum. PEople just aren't looking thorugh it so many questions and answers are repeated. I give most of the answers here so it simplifies things a little. I do know what you mean as far as consolidating some of the topics. When I do look at the forum, there is a lot to look through. I will continue to improve on it over time. For know I think seperating things out will be good so I can see what topics are touched on the most. NExt year is also going to be a busy year and I am sure that the traffic on this site will double as it did this year. Thank you for your suggestions.

Jeremy
8)
The site looks much more user friendly today! :D It looks pretty good now, but would look little better if some of the kayak models could be consolidated as well. Not sure if you guys need three separate forums for the advanced frame?

All in all, it's a great improvement from yesterday

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:11 pm

poiuyebay wrote:
JCOOLEY wrote:
poiuyebay wrote:Quite frankly, this new forums seems way too much. The thing is that this forum doesn't have a whole lot of traffic, so separating the previous 4 topics into 40+ different topics is a bit overkill.

"Issues/Problems" and "Repairs" can be consolidated as well as all the accessories. That's just my opinion. :idea:
The reason I seperated everything is because we were beginning to get a lot of repeat questions that was cluttering the forum. PEople just aren't looking thorugh it so many questions and answers are repeated. I give most of the answers here so it simplifies things a little. I do know what you mean as far as consolidating some of the topics. When I do look at the forum, there is a lot to look through. I will continue to improve on it over time. For know I think seperating things out will be good so I can see what topics are touched on the most. NExt year is also going to be a busy year and I am sure that the traffic on this site will double as it did this year. Thank you for your suggestions.

Jeremy
8)
The site looks much more user friendly today! :D It looks pretty good now, but would look little better if some of the kayak models could be consolidated as well. Not sure if you guys need three separate forums for the advanced frame?

The reason I have the three seperate categories is because the three models are vastly different and have had many changes over the years. I feel that if I combine them, people can get more confused between the model years as well as the features of each of the different models themselves. I hope that makes sense. As I mentioned before as well, the traffic on this site will more than likely double next year and it may get hard to seperate things out at a later date. I will continue to observe and adjust. Thanks agains for the suggestions and support!

Jeremy
8)

waddle

Post by waddle » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:27 pm

JCOOLEY wrote:
poiuyebay wrote:
JCOOLEY wrote:

Jeremy
8)

The reason I have the three seperate categories is because the three models are vastly different and have had many changes over the years. I feel that if I combine them, people can get more confused between the model years as well as the features of each of the different models themselves. I hope that makes sense. As I mentioned before as well, the traffic on this site will more than likely double next year and it may get hard to seperate things out at a later date. I will continue to observe and adjust. Thanks agains for the suggestions and support!

Jeremy
8)
As an AF owner, thank you for not combining them. As you've said, there are a lot of differences between the models. When I was researching the 10.5, I remember having to go through a lot of posts about Expeditions and the Convertibles. That wouldn't be an issue now. :)

Ryker

New Fromat

Post by Ryker » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:43 pm

Well, I think I sorta like it.

Easy to find specific topics.

Kinda difficult to find the latest posts -- maybe if there was some way to find the most recent posts since, say the last time I logged in?

Like a previous poster, I read a lot of posts before deciding on a 10.5 AF -- but reading all those posts helped me make the decision. Six one way half-dozen the other.

I believe it'll be OK once I've navigated it a few times.

Ryker

Post by Ryker » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:51 pm

Oh my goodness, I should of looked closer before I hit return.

"Kinda difficult to find the latest posts -- maybe if there was some way to find the most recent posts since, say the last time I logged in?"

Wouldn't you know it, there it is right at the top of the page!

Excellent! Thanks Jeremy!

slurch

Post by slurch » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:10 am

The shorter model list is much better thanks, it was far to long on the original revision.

kayakman23

Condense the Forum

Post by kayakman23 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:47 pm

I think you could condense it more, if you had a FAQ section.

Kayakman

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:48 pm

FAQ section is located on our website.