What Happens to Posts that have a Forbidden Word?

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

JapanConsidered

What Happens to Posts that have a Forbidden Word?

Post by JapanConsidered » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:57 am

Good Morning All,

What happens to posts that contain a "forbidden" word once they are posted? Do they just disappear? Not complaining. Just curious.

Bob

SF48

Post by SF48 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:38 am

In any of the forums I've belonged to, usually the moderators will delete a post if it's deemed out of bounds. One larger forum that I joined let just about everything go, and man there were some nasty battles raging there. Personally I like the smaller, more intimate forums where everyone agrees that a certain protocol should be adhered to. You'll always get some "freedom of speech" zealot who blah blahs about being persecuted. There's nothing oppressive about a few rules...you just have to more carefully choose how to say what you want to say. Keeps order in the community, I say.

JapanConsidered

Post by JapanConsidered » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:49 am

Oh, I quite agree, SF48.

My question, though, is what happens to a post that may have included a forbidden term, once the writer posts it. Is the offending post permanently deleted, or is it available somewhere for resurrection.

Good to know beforehand, to avoid losing the text of a longer post, such as a trip report, or product review, that may have inadvertently included such a word, in innocuous context. Forewarned writers then can be sure to save the texts of their posts in another place before posting.

Thanks,
Bob
www.JapanConsidered.com

SF48 wrote:In any of the forums I've belonged to, usually the moderators will delete a post if it's deemed out of bounds. One larger forum that I joined let just about everything go, and man there were some nasty battles raging there. Personally I like the smaller, more intimate forums where everyone agrees that a certain protocol should be adhered to. You'll always get some "freedom of speech" zealot who blah blahs about being persecuted. There's nothing oppressive about a few rules...you just have to more carefully choose how to say what you want to say. Keeps order in the community, I say.

SF48

Post by SF48 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:57 am

I guess we'll have to wait for a moderator to chime in here to answer your question. I've never been one, so I don't know if there's like a "recycle bin" or whatever that deletes are kept in. I tend to doubt it, as being the caretaker of such a thing would seem a bit over the top for what is almost universally a volunteer duty. Who knows though? Maybe there's a "big brother" legal component that I'm not aware of. Your suggestion for saving text elsewhere makes sense. If I happen to be writing a longer post, I usually do so in Word and then copy and paste it, so saving it too is no additional trouble.

JapanConsidered

Post by JapanConsidered » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:41 am

That's the way to go, SF48. And I've never moderated one of these newsgroups either. What a job!

I usually use your method when writing for other venues. Just have to get used to a new environment.

Thanks,
Bob
SF48 wrote:
[Snip]

... If I happen to be writing a longer post, I usually do so in Word and then copy and paste it, so saving it too is no additional trouble.

SF48

Post by SF48 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:23 pm

Do you think they have an "Impending Nutcase" file that they collect this stuff in...just in case? :shock:

:lol:

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:43 am

Even though I moderate the forum, I do not know what happens. I believe that if you try to post with a forbidden word it just won't post or maybe issue a warning? I have never gone into the forum and actually had to delete anything out. I believe it just automatically does it. Not sure were it goes though. Just vanishes I suppose. I have been asked to allow some words. When we set up the forum, we basically picked a generic list that had a lot of common forbidden words on it. Some of them are silly but obviously there must of been problems in other forums to have that word on the list. If anyone has a question about a word, they can always ask me and I can look into it to make sure it is not offensive or will allow bogus posts on here.

Jeremy
8)

JapanConsidered

Post by JapanConsidered » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:53 am

Hi Jeremy,

Didn't mean to open a can of worms here with my initial question. The forbidden list must be preventing spam since we don't see anything. So it's a good thing! Not a problem for me, at least. And someone recommended preparing longer posts in a word processor and saving a copy before posting. Easy to do!

Great job with the forum.

Best,
Bob
JCOOLEY wrote:Even though I moderate the forum, I do not know what happens. I believe that if you try to post with a forbidden word it just won't post or maybe issue a warning? I have never gone into the forum and actually had to delete anything out. I believe it just automatically does it. Not sure were it goes though. Just vanishes I suppose. I have been asked to allow some words. When we set up the forum, we basically picked a generic list that had a lot of common forbidden words on it. Some of them are silly but obviously there must of been problems in other forums to have that word on the list. If anyone has a question about a word, they can always ask me and I can look into it to make sure it is not offensive or will allow bogus posts on here.

Jeremy
8)