Bad knees: hard shell vs. AF 10.5

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

NAVYVET

Bad knees: hard shell vs. AF 10.5

Post by NAVYVET » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:49 am

I'm a disabled Navy veteran, and I have some problems with my knees. I was missing the water, didn't want a power boat, had experience with canoes and no experience with kayaks. Before I bought an AF 10.5, I did a comparison test:
1. I rented a canoe for the day at a local lake. I had to return it after an hour because my knees couldn't take it. I wasn't that surprised.
2. I rented a 12-foot hard shell kayak next. The lake was choppy with only 8 mph wind gusts. Of course, you have to brace your knees against the sides of a hard shell kayak, and even though I braced and padded my knees, I could feel every wave gave me a slight twinge. I still had a great time, and I paddled for 2 hours happily. When I got out after those 2 hours though, my knees took 2 days with my cane to recover. (Normally, I only use a cane in the colder months of winter.
3. I bought the AF 10.5 recently, and I've taken her out 4 times in the same wave/wind conditions as the canoe and kayak. Each time, I intended to paddle for 2 or 3 hours; each time, I had so much fun that I ended up paddling for 6 hours.

The AF 10.5, and the rest of the AF line I'm sure, do NOT cause me any knee problems at all. I think this if for 2 reasons:
1. Bracing my knees against an air chamber or the cover is obviously a lot more gentle than against a hard shell's sides.
2. There is more room in the cockpit. This allows me to more easily shift positions and prevent my knees from "locking up". (For reference, I'm 5'11", pants inseam 33" and 160 pounds.)

My sincerest gratitude goes to Jeremy/AE and Holly/airkayaks.com for answering enough of my detailed questions that I bought my AF 10.5! My biggest concern were whether my knees could handle it, and the answer is absolutely Yes.

trev007

Post by trev007 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:33 pm

Great to hear you are able to get out and about doing what you enjoy, good on you.

MikeSue

Post by MikeSue » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:05 am

Great to hear :D