Sticky type new velcro

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

lbang

Sticky type new velcro

Post by lbang » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:29 am

Is it safe to stick those sticky type velcro that we can get from homedepot to the vinyl (gray) floor?

I'm thinking of sticking velcro on the backbone and the floor so that it doesn't move from the center postion when I inflate the convertible.

Also in future maybe stick the fish sensor at the floor?

But before I stick any thing on it, just want to be sure it won't damage the vinyl flooring.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:14 am

You will have to check the adhesive that is used. It should be vinyl compatible. The last thing you want to do is attache something that will break down the vinyl and create a weak spot that could eventually open up. I would call the manufacturer of the velcro you want to buy and check to see if it will work. The material you want to attach it to is PVC Tarpaulin which is the same as Zodiacs.

Jeremy

lbang

Post by lbang » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:53 am

Hi Jeremy,
Thanks. Glad I check first, good to know about the possible weak spot thingy.

So if i stick the regular (non-sticker) type of velcro onto it using the patch kit adhesive, would that work? Or is the glue specific to patch material and vinyl.

Another alternative idea I have is to sew a small piece of the velcro onto a tear-aid patch and then just stick the tear-aid to the vinyl. Don't know if that'll work either.

Thanks in advance.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:10 pm

The glue is specific to the vinyl. Maybe there is a velcro patch that is vinyl on the underside?