Wouldn't be nice...

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

diemonde

Wouldn't be nice...

Post by diemonde » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:47 am

Hi,

Just wondering. What if a AE Frame would only be made to support a max of 100kg (221lbs) or a Convertible with only a max of 150kg (330lbs). Wouldn't it make for a faster and smaller kayak? Something like AE Frame Light or Sport ;-)

And what about a AE Frame Junior. If I would have to choose between kayaks for kids I always would go for the AE models as they just won't tip over that easily as a normal kayak would. Just skale it down... As my kids are pretty young you have some years to develop it ;-)

Just dreaming here :-)

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:28 am

The Advanced Frame Sport that is coming out in 2010 is 10 lbs lighter than the regular Advanced Frame and has a capacity of 250 lbs. Because it is lighter doesn't necessarily mean it will travel faster but it does make it more manueverable.
At one point we had looked into doing a junior model of the Advanced Frame but it never progressed beyond the concept stage. Not much of a demand back then but maybe something to look into again.

Jeremy

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:42 am

Hi Jeremy,

Maybe I had to be clearer. I meant wouldn't a lighter model be less wide and therefore faster :-)

Looking out for the sport model, especially because my wife is only 50kg and 1.55cm. Actually wouldn't smaller women fit in a junior model ;-) I am sure a junior model would do good in Asia as well, but then it should be called a small persons model rather then a junior.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:47 am

Lighter doesn't mean skinnier. For instance, the Sport model has the exact same dimensions as the regular Advanced Frame. We just eliminated some extras which cut off 10 lbs. The Fusion, however, is skinnier at 25 in. across. Usually skinnier means faster but it also depends on the design of the bow and stern as well as the overall construction of the kayak. It could be skinnier but you could be in a kayak that has a very baggy outer shell that will slow you down quite a bit or the bow could be flat nosed instead of a sharp edge, not allowing you to cut through the water well. That is, of course, if you are paddling an inflatable. If you are paddling a hardshell, it can depend on the material that the kayak is made out of. Some are lighter than others but have the same dimensions. In this case, it is typically faster.

Jeremy

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:28 pm

ok, but what is the fusion?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:34 pm

That is another one that will be introduced in 2010. It is more of a hybrid folding frame/inflatable but without near the amount of hassle as other brands folding frames.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:01 pm

So, what more can you tell us about the Fusion? This sounds like a great idea for a kayak. So narrow... I've got to see it!